Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I got home today I checked the answering machine and there was a message from my vet, I knew what is was about so I still called them back......Bailey is back, we had her put to sleep August 29th and had her cremated. Haven't told my wife yet, but tomorrow we will go get her and bring her home. I can't believe how much I have cried..dogs are awesome, give your pooch a big hug for Bailey.

Will do mate. :mug:

when I got home today I checked the answering machine and there was a message from my vet, I knew what is was about so I still called them back......Bailey is back, we had her put to sleep August 29th and had her cremated. Haven't told my wife yet, but tomorrow we will go get her and bring her home. I can't believe how much I have cried..dogs are awesome, give your pooch a big hug for Bailey.
Already got the hug while I was changing the oil in my car (any idea how hard that is to do with a lab laying on your chest?), but he'll get an extra scratch behind the ears tonight.

Hahaha, my old roommates dog (American bull) ate a sock whole, poo'd it out, found it again in the yard, and ate it again. By the time it was done that was a twice poo'd sock.

Probably gonna get chastised for this but here goes.

About 2 1/2 years ago I joined the North American Fishing Club. They sent a package of 6 fish hooks in the mail to try out. Well I put them on the end table without thinking about it.

A couple days later around 10 o clock that night I find the package torn up on the floor with only 2 of the hooks in it. I knew it wasnt our mini dachshund cuz he's very picky about what he eats. Well our Siberian husky has been known to eat many odd things so we concluded it was him.

I found a magnet and searched all over the house without finding a single one. So we take him to the vet the next morning and they x ray his belly and sure enough, there they are.

The vet gives him something to make him poop them out and keep him overnight. We go in the next day and find out that the stupid/lucky husky also ate an entire sock. Somehow all 4 of the fish hooks got caught in the sock and he puked it all up overnight coming through completely unscathed.

We have since learned our lesson and keep anything inedible/harmful out of his reach.

(Let the stoning commence). ; -)

Yeah Harper is good about what he eats but I have known dogs that will literally eat anything. I can't imagine having to police the house for everything "dog sized". It would be like baby proofing for an 80 pound baby, lol.

Yeah, you're probably right. After all, I get home from work and spend nearly every waking minute from then until the time I go to bed with my dog. But because he doesn't sleep inside the house, I don't really care about him :rolleyes:

As compared to a coworker, who has two brittany spaniels in his house...who spend literally all day sitting on the back of his couch staring out the picture window.....wishing they were outside.

If I misread what you were saying, then I apologize. I just see a lot of people who buy hunting dogs, stick them in a cage and the dogs never leave the kennel unless they're hunting or training to hunt. Visitors and kids aren't even allowed to interact with the dog for fear of "ruining them".

If I misread what you were saying, then I apologize. I just see a lot of people who buy hunting dogs, stick them in a cage and the dogs never leave the kennel unless they're hunting or training to hunt. Visitors and kids aren't even allowed to interact with the dog for fear of "ruining them".

Define "a lot" .. Or would that rain on your stereotyping parade?

Probably gonna get chastised for this but here goes.

About 2 1/2 years ago I joined the North American Fishing Club. They sent a package of 6 fish hooks in the mail to try out. Well I put them on the end table without thinking about it.

A couple days later around 10 o clock that night I find the package torn up on the floor with only 2 of the hooks in it. I knew it wasnt our mini dachshund cuz he's very picky about what he eats. Well our Siberian husky has been known to eat many odd things so we concluded it was him.

I found a magnet and searched all over the house without finding a single one. So we take him to the vet the next morning and they x ray his belly and sure enough, there they are.

The vet gives him something to make him poop them out and keep him overnight. We go in the next day and find out that the stupid/lucky husky also ate an entire sock. Somehow all 4 of the fish hooks got caught in the sock and he puked it all up overnight coming through completely unscathed.

We have since learned our lesson and keep anything inedible/harmful out of his reach.

(Let the stoning commence). ; -)

Had a buddy who's wife got a dog without really discussing it with him or either of them being able to properly take care of the dog. They didn't even have the dog 5 days before they left it out in the house and it got its head stuck in a chip bag and suffocated. Sad story but what do they do go right out and get another one and I'm honestly shocked this one has not died yet due to the amount of stuff my friend tells me he gets into and eats on a daily basis.

Had a buddy who's wife got a dog without really discussing it with him or either of them being able to properly take care of the dog. They didn't even have the dog 5 days before they left it out in the house and it got its head stuck in a chip bag and suffocated. Sad story but what do they do go right out and get another one and I'm honestly shocked this one has not died yet due to the amount of stuff my friend tells me he gets into and eats on a daily basis.

Should have known better.

So it begins.

the Howdy has a new thing: one night he sleeps tucked under my legs, the next night he's tucked under the BigHair's legs and the third night he jumps out of bed and barks, "I WANT TO PLAY!"

repeat

tonight is the third night

Known better what? You weren't being irresponsible. Your story just reminded of the ignorance of some owners I knew.

I should have known better than to post that here. As I said we have taken many measures to make sure they are safe and I guess I took that story as comparing us to your friends. We made one mistake over two years ago...no ones perfect and we've learned our lesson.

I should have known better than to post that here. As I said we have taken many measures to make sure they are safe and I guess I took that story as comparing us to your friends. We made one mistake over two years ago...no ones perfect and we've learned our lesson.

Pump your brakes. Im sorry if you took that the wrong way. You are right no one is perfect I almost killed my dog with pyrex baking dish.

To be fair, how are they any different than the people that buy a dog, bring it home, tie it to a stake in the middle of the yard, and maybe remember to feed it every other day -- and that's the most you ever see them interact with him/her?

This thread was full of pictures of "mans best friend" what happened to all the dog pictures!! I WANT A PICTURE OF A DOG DOING A WATER RESCUE IN A MOUNTAIN STREAM, NOW!!!

GrogNerd said:
the Howdy has a new thing: one night he sleeps tucked under my legs, the next night he's tucked under the BigHair's legs and the third night he jumps out of bed and barks, "I WANT TO PLAY!"

repeat

tonight is the third night

My Bostons change by season. In the summer they sandwich the wife. In the winter they get get into 5 min arguments growling and barking at each other who gets between my legs. Now that I think about they haven't had a good marital tiff lately usually about once a month they'll sound like 2 pits going at it over something

When I lived with a buddy of mine his boxer got into a bowl of Halloween candy and ate half of it wrappers and all. He ran around the house for 3 hrs like a mad dog then was howling while pooping the next day. He would also chug beer and we got him drunk one night and he was running into the walls and peeing while walking and didn't even realise it. My buddy got me back by feeding my dog a big can of hormel chili then left her in my room

This thread was full of pictures of "mans best friend" what happened to all the dog pictures!! I WANT A PICTURE OF A DOG DOING A WATER RESCUE IN A MOUNTAIN STREAM, NOW!!!

Thread seems to bounce back and forth between awesome dog pics and pissing contests. Its no mountain stream but here is one of my dogs, Osric, 14 years old... decrepit as hell, and loving life. Best I can do. lol.

Oz Man.jpg

Not sure if I've posted these yet. Not an actual rescue just training pics. But because you asked

IMG_20130527_150012_zps23c22264.jpg

20130818_194712_HDR_Hagrid_zpsa5dc59bb.jpg

20130527_141238_Ingrid_Hagrid_zps8fc6b757.jpg

IMG_20130721_204407_zpsbabd37de.jpg

20130527_135353_Ingrid_Hagrid_zps72f4e864.jpg

Oh, and chilling after training.
Screenshot_2013-06-07-14-10-02-1_zpsc1dcfe08.png

Channel66 said:
Not sure if I've posted these yet. Not an actual rescue just training pics. But because you asked

Oh, and chilling after training.

Great pictures!

onetoeddogbrewery said:
Wow man you really know your beaches!

I was born in Galveston and spent a great deal of my childhood on the island camping in that state park and fishing. I know it pretty well. ;)
Looks like your dog was having a good time.

It's the calm before the storm. :D

She bowled over a little kid while chasing around a German Shepherd puppy (no injuries), but otherwise both dogs were pretty good.

Related note: whenever we head to the dog park, I swear the fence must have some sort of magic calming properties. My Sheltie will see dogs in the parking lot and bark at them, but as soon as we get inside the fence, he can see the exact same dog and all of a sudden it's "oh hey, let's play!" The same thing goes with bikes. Normally they drive him nuts (brings out the herding instinct, I guess), but if we're at the park and someone rides by, he just sits and watches. I'm thinking "WTF, you can't be like this at home?!"

To be fair, how are they any different than the people that buy a dog, bring it home, tie it to a stake in the middle of the yard, and maybe remember to feed it every other day -- and that's the most you ever see them interact with him/her?

I totally agree. Those are the people who want a lawn ornament, not a pet.

Talking about dogs getting into things...

My sister has one of those little mixed breed dogs that people have made up a breed name for... can't remember which one. One day it got a hold of a large piece of extra-dark chocolate. They're not sure were it got left, but when they came home the empty wrapper was on the floor and the chocolate was gone. They call the vet, the vet says to bring the dog in. Several hundred dollars later the dog has spent the night at the vet so they decide to bring in his bed to make him more comfortable. They lift up the blanket on the bed the next morning and find... the chocolate. The little beggar stashed it for later and hadn't actually eaten any.

ChshreCat said:

My sister has one of those little mixed breed dogs that people have made up a breed name for... can't remember which one. One day it got a hold of a large piece of extra-dark chocolate. They're not sure were it got left, but when they came home the empty wrapper was on the floor and the chocolate was gone. They call the vet, the vet says to bring the dog in. Several hundred dollars later the dog has spent the night at the vet so they decide to bring in his bed to make him more comfortable. They lift up the blanket on the bed the next morning and find... the chocolate. The little beggar stashed it for later and hadn't actually eaten any.

That's hilarious!

Okay, that's funny.

About like Sage a couple months ago. I had always intended on breeding him, but because of a couple factors (his developing epilepsy being one of them), decided against it, and at age 6, he finally got neutered. Brought him home from the vet, kept him as calm as I could that night, and put him out in his kennel the next day when I went to work. Came home that night, and his kennel looked like the scene of a murder. Blood EVERYWHERE. My first thought was "Oh crap... how much does he hold - is he a quart low????" Get him out onto the grass, roll him over and examine the incision thoroughly... but can't find where the blood was coming from. Call the vet the next morning (saturday), and they agree I should bring him in to get it looked at. Vet comes out and examines him on the tailgate of my pickup, looks over the incision and comes to the same conclusion I did, can't find anywhere he had been bleeding from. But they prescribe a 5-day course of antibiotics just to be safe, and I head back home. Pull in my driveway, and I'm going to lift him out of the truck when I notice his left front paw is red. Roll him over and examine the paw.... he had been pawing at his water dish the previous day, and broke a nail down past the quick. His incision was fine.

I had always intended on breeding him,

Eeew... that's just... oh wait, you meant to another dog. Nevermind. :ban:

but because of a couple factors (his developing epilepsy being one of them), decided against it, and at age 6, he finally got neutered. Brought him home from the vet, kept him as calm as I could that night, and put him out in his kennel the next day when I went to work. Came home that night, and his kennel looked like the scene of a murder. Blood EVERYWHERE. My first thought was "Oh crap... how much does he hold - is he a quart low????" Get him out onto the grass, roll him over and examine the incision thoroughly... but can't find where the blood was coming from. Call the vet the next morning (saturday), and they agree I should bring him in to get it looked at. Vet comes out and examines him on the tailgate of my pickup, looks over the incision and comes to the same conclusion I did, can't find anywhere he had been bleeding from. But they prescribe a 5-day course of antibiotics just to be safe, and I head back home. Pull in my driveway, and I'm going to lift him out of the truck when I notice his left front paw is red. Roll him over and examine the paw.... he had been pawing at his water dish the previous day, and broke a nail down past the quick. His incision was fine.

I can believe that. KB tore a claw once running around the back yard. How can so much blood come from a tiny little vein in a toenail?!?

I gave Ozzy a bath he resented it and sulked for a hour afterwards. I need to work on getting him acclimated and comfortable in water.

Scrappy (Boston Terrier) hates getting baths too. We keep her crate in the bathroom and any time she's wandering around and hears the shower turn on she'll head straight for the crate to hide...which is about 5 feet from the shower :drunk:

Latest posts

Back