Dogfish Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
During my last bacth I accidently used some twist off bottles, and of course they are not holding the carbination. How can I rebottle and recarb these.
Thanks,

If it's been a couple weeks you probably just need to boil up a bit more sugar, add this to the beer from the unsealed bottles and then bottle it back up in bottles that you can actually seal.

If it's only been a day or two, you might not even need to add more sugar to get the carbonation going.

I have done this in the past and actually had about a 50% success rate with carbonation on the twist-offs. It ended up being about 6 bottles out of 50 that had twist-offs, and I ended up just shrugging my shoulders on the non-carbed ones and either drinking it anyway or dumping (cannot remember now).

I am just curious as to what the thread title has to do with the original post.

I think the title has something to do with the twist off bottles they found during production at Dogfish Head during the first episode of "Brewmasters."

I think the title has something to do with the twist off bottles they found during production at Dogfish Head during the first episode of "Brewmasters."
Yes that was the reason.

There's really no way you're going to be able to do this without oxidizing the beer to some extent.

That's what I was worried about. It's not that many bottles. Could I slow pour them into other bottles and re-carb?

Thanks for the answers,
:fro:

If you are very careful I would think that you could accomplish transferring them. What do you got to lose? BTW, do I win a prize for guessing what the title meant?:fro:

That's what I was worried about. It's not that many bottles. Could I slow pour them into other bottles and re-carb?

Thanks for the answers,

I'm sure you could, but you'll likely end up with some oxidation, no matter how careful you are. If it's just a few bottles... *shrug* not a big loss either way. Give it a shot if you want, or just drink them a bit on the flat side.

I might give a few a try to see what happens. I only did 2 1/2 gallons and I think about 10 bottles have twist off. I thinking they shouldn't oxidize too bad by the time I drink them (which would be pretty quick). If I do rebottle a few should the same amount of sugar again or would that cause bottle bombs, since they already have some in there?

BTW, do I win a prize for guessing what the title meant?:fro:

Sure, you sir have won your self a bottle of half to non carbonated Blood Orange Hefeweizen. :ban:

Thanks again for all the help

Latest posts

Back