Dogfish 120 Minute Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jkratzer - where do they have the 120 for 10 bucks a four pack in lititz?- im on my way there right now! I personally love the 120 - at the bar around the corner, they tap they kegs (when they get them) at 1:20 PM and we play hooky to be there, or we won't get a drop. i would not describe myself as a hophead, and think the hoppiness of the 120 is very different than "hoppy" beers that i am used to (and drink but am not really thrilled with). It seems like it's a more intense but subdued hoppiness- less immediate pungency and more deeply floral. I was pleasantly surprised the first time i tried it.-
sorry - didn't read that last one - thought i was at the end of the thread- guess i will have to send my brother down to the naval hospital...

I screwed up, I posted in the 120 min thread and I have 90 minute. I'm going to go grab one and try this again...

I know I started this post bitching about 120 but I just drank one that has been aging for about 8-9 months and its totally drinkable now. I can only imagine what 5 years is going to do to the other two I have.

A local store here had some but would only sell one bottle per person. I bought a bottle and thankfully watched Sam's video on it. The wife and I shared the bottle after letting it warm for a bit, about 50 degrees.

It is very much like a liquor. I enjoyed it but I certainly wasn't my favorite thing to drink. I definitely wouldn't want to consume it in mass quantities. The 6 ounce portion was perfect. I would like to get another 2 bottles, drink one now and age the other to compare.

1 bottle per person? That sounds crazy as it's really not that rare of a beer. I can see the usual suspects like KBS, CBS, etc. being sold like that but 120 I believe is brewed year round.

Piratwolf said:
FWIW, I believe they had to change "Wake n Bake" to Moo Hoo. It's awesome. I like Terrapin stuff a lot, although they're not in my top tier.

I loved moo hoo. Definitely need to buy more if they still have it next time I visit family.

This year's Moo-Hoo is spectacular. Same with the Wake and Bake!

Sorry, nothing to add about the 120, we can't buy it here in stores. (GA, beer can't be over 14% I believe...)

1 bottle per person? That sounds crazy as it's really not that rare of a beer. I can see the usual suspects like KBS, CBS, etc. being sold like that but 120 I believe is brewed year round.
Seems like it's kind of hard to get down here- i know the bars in the lehigh valley that tap kegs (either three or five gallon- i think) sell out in less than 24 hours, and it seems like we see it three or four times from october to february.
But then again, we just got samischlaus, and i think that comes out in december, so we may be a bit behind...

This beer wasn't that hard to get a hold of prior to Brewmasters.

Then the perfect storm happened. Brewmasters was on Discovery. They had an episode talking about this epic beer that they had to dump. Then said 'epic beer' wasn't available for like 18 months. It sells out very quickly these days.

Give it about 1-2 years, and it's demand will fall back to where it was.

we've had trouble for at the least the last five years getting it regular (on tap anyway) - it seems like it was getting bought up before sam's show. Dogfish has always been a little faddy, but that's what they do- most of their beers are pretty intense and seem to be big hits (i can't speak for AZ, but around here anyway). i personally am not nor have ever been a hophead, but it's definitely a unique and complex brew. I remember splitting up a 120 dollar case of sam adams triple bock in 94 and thinking that it didn't taste very good then, and it really didn't age too well (probably somewhat due to the improper storage instructions and the corks drying out)- but it was still interesting to have and observe a relative "rarity" change over the years. I would wager that the 120 would hold shelf for a few years- the oldest i've had is a five year and it definitely improved. Maybe in a few years, it will be plentiful- but at 8 bucks a 12 oz- i think dogfish head is way to good at marketing up demand for their products to let that happen...

I'm trying the 120 right now. I don't like it at all. I've read a lot of reviews so I knew that I shouldn't expect a hopbomb. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a decent hop aroma. It definitely had too much of an alcohol burn for me though. I've been sipping 5oz for the past hour and still am not done with it. I would maybe consider buying another bottle and aging it. Maybe. Is there anyway to find on the bottle what year its from? I searched the bottle but I couldnt find any year.

Someone gave me a bottle of 120 Christmas of 2010. I stuck it in the fridge and forgot about it until this January. I thought it was awesome. Not much aroma, but the flavor was great. After drinking it, I had to check the ABV because it didn't taste that high.

If I ever find more, I'll definitely get some.

Ive never had to chance to enjoy a 120 min yet. But have had the 60 and 90, and they are both really well done. On the other hand the Palo Santo was no good, tastes like bacon and wish I would of made a different selection in beers while at the shop! Since I only get DFH once every year or so.

I enjoyed the Noble Rot. Not a beer I would drink all the time but it was good. Tapped 60 minute is one of my go tos. Haven't tried the 90 or the 120 yet. I hope to try the 120 but that stuff is hard to find right now

Sam has dumped a few batches down the drain cause of stuck fermentation. So we will what happens

Back