Does Yeast Die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneHed13

Reaction score
I've read a ton of stuff on here, saving yeast, fermenting at temps from 35f to 90f and it sounds like it's all fine. It seems like yeast don't die... They go dormant (at lower temps). So my question is, as noob as it is... And I promise I'll get better... What's good temps for what. I'm making a nut brown ale tomorrow and I was told that an ambient temp of 62 would be fine given the temp the yeast itself makes. Just want to be on my game tomorrow. I'll take pics for scrutinization/feedback. :)

Be guided by your yeast, expect the wort to 5-6 degs C higher than the ambient environment temperature.

Does yeast die? Actually, it moves on to a wonderful place where it has all the maltose it can eat.

To answer your question about temperature, yes, yeast dies at temperatures low enough that the water inside the cell freezes, expands, and bursts the cell. The upper limit is around 120F to 140F.

For brewing temps, see How to Brew and for yeast death temps see this thread on HBT

Epimetheus said:
Does yeast die? Actually, it moves on to a wonderful place where it has all the maltose it can eat.

SWMBO told me it went to a nice farm upstate where it had lots of room to run free and tons of other yeasts to play with, but now I'm beginning to wonder if she was just trying to make me feel better.

Back