Does anyone hook the pumps in a loop and clean that way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Hi guys, Does anyone hook the pumps in a loop and clean that way? Can you only turn one pump on and cycle water or PBW through all the hoses and pumps? Would it hurt the pumps doing this? Can you do this? You'd need male to male cam-lock fittings and use the HLT as a storage vessel?

I do that using a cheapo ebay 12v pump and a chugger. But not in a continuous loop. I do a first run from the mash tun with oxyclean, then second run from the HLT with clean water to rinse.

HLT - 12v pump - Chugger - Counterflow Chiller- Bucket - Dump outside

I use six different hoses, all with female cam-locks both ends. But I do recirculate in a series using three kettles and two pumps (both running), I can only do 4 hoses at a time. Never had any issues...It would be nice if they made a double ended male coupling so I could connect two hoses together...

Yes, HLT to HLPump in normal configuration, HLPump OUT to Wort Pump OUT with female camlocks on both end of that tube. Wort Pump IN back into HLT (from the top) in a continuous loop. Only the HLPump motor runs. Work both valves open and closed on the pumps to clean them better. Occasionally I'll fire the motor on the Wort pump too, but I don't know that it's neccesary as the velocity of the solution from the HLpump into the Wort pump is enough to spin the rotor by itself. If you run the motor of the wort pump in this configuration it's critical to make sure the valve on the HLPump is wide open.
-
Works great.
-
Edit, this requires only 3 hoses, and I have an extra female camlock that I put on one of the hoses to connect from the HLPump OUT to the Wort Pump IN. The 4th hose I use in my system is a HLhose only and I just soak that one in the HLT while the system is recirculating.

Why not simply connect a male connector with male threads to a male connector with female threads? Instant male/male connector.

Here is mine.

tmp_20141007_183057425372985.jpg

Latest posts

Back