Doctor's Orders - Cataract Surgery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
Post op instructions for the cataract surgery I had this morning say no alcohol. I want a beer. I did some googling and didn't find any substantial reason other than that it's not wise after any surgery because alcohol suppresses the immune system and, secondarily, that having a drink or two will increase the likelihood that I will get careless and rub my eye.

My translation of all that? RDWAHAHB. Thanks, I think I will.

You're a big boy, you can live a night or two without any beer. I wouldn't **** with doctors orders, regardless of what google says.

Reminds me of that new state farm commercial...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have friends who have had this done and no issues, other than their eyesight improved dramatically. Best to you and the beer will be there when the doctor says it is OK! Don't worry...We'll take up the slack for you until you're back in shape! :D

That's simple-minded. The 'net's no different from any other info source. No matter where it comes from, you have to consider the source of the information.

AZ: Exactly. Know your sources. Cneck the OP: it sought no advice.

On this utterly simplistic notion that you can't trust the 'net: it's been around now, what, forever? Most of us have learned to distinguish between credible (internet) sources and those that aren't. Those who haven't might think about it. Lots of good information out there!

I've had two cataract surgeries and I don't know that having a beer would do any damage. I distinctly remember having a few. My Doctor never mentioned anything other than avoid bright lights till the pupils shrink back. Don't know what time your surgery was today but as you get your vision back you are going to be amazed.:mug:

Today was the second eye. Had the first two weeks ago. I am amazed, truly. I had forgotten, apparently, what "white" is, among other things. During the two weeks that I had one done and was waiting on the other, I could compare the two. The "new" image is clearer, obviously, but also larger, brighter, a bit bluer, and the white is white. The "old" image is almost sepia toned. I will say, though, as a photographer, that the old, natural lenses had better shadow detail. But I can go about my business without glasses for the first time since 1968.

Congrats on the good eyesight! It sure is great to see properly!
I had Lasik to correct my 20/1200 vision. Hurt so bad that the pills didn't work until the Mr. grabbed me a bomber of beer to help them kick in. But is sure is amazing to have vision! :mug:

Latest posts

Back