Do you support your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you patronize your LHBS?

• Yes

• No

• Can't: there isn't one, but if there was I would probably buy from it

• Can't and wouldn't

Results are only viewable after voting.
No. There are essentially 2 homebrew shops that I could shop at. One is run by a very nice older couple. They do mostly wine and are horribly overpriced on almost everything.

The other, well, I do not like the owner. I would rather order all my stuff online than give him any business.

(Oh, there is new beer/wine store that sells the basics. I might give them a shot next time I need some equipment or quick yeast.)

WTF is rule #1 of the Brewer's Code?

At any rate, I'm an hour from Tulsa and that makes High Gravity my lhbs. I get to Tulsa enough that I can easily get what I need and I'm a good enough planner that running out for yeast, hops caps or whatnot has never been a problem. Also I like brick and mortar stores over mail order.

I buy most of my grains at the LHBS and every now and then I get some hops if I dont have them in bulk. If I could get involved in some bulk grain purchases I probably wouldnt buy much there other than a few specialty grains and yeast.

KB: Are you familiar with North Country Malt? Their bulk prices are great if you pick up there... $27 for a 55 lb. bag of PA Malt and they also have hops & chemicals at great prices. Last time I was there (June), they said they were expanding the online store. Caveat... only open on weekdays and call ahead.

Yeah, I was just turned on to them recently. I'd like to drive up there soon. I'm probably an hour away.

I buy from my LHBS whenever it's cheaper (because of shipping, usually). But when it's cheaper to order online, I'll go online. And of course it's usually cheaper to buy equipment online. I'm not up to the point of bulk buying ingredients yet, so I usually buy from the LHBS.

my lhb shops are a good distance away from me (30-45 minutes); the owner can be a bit of an asshat/acts like he could care less if you bought from him, always seems to be in a rush when you're there even if you're the only one there...and generally just is very stand-off-ish...prices are also higher...due to the location (northern VA) if it was just higher prices i'd probably go even though its out of my way...love to support small businesses when i can, and good face to face interaction is nice...but the fact i've never had a positive face to face (or phone) convo with the guy makes me shop online first...only go to him for emergencies now.

I tried going to my LHBS over the internet HBS but the internet stores actually have BETTER customer service. I like the idea of going local and keeping my money in the local economy but when the owner of the LHBS acts like I'm just there as an inconvience then I'll take my hard earned money elsewhere.

Seriously think of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

I tried going to my LHBS over the internet HBS but the internet stores actually have BETTER customer service. I like the idea of going local and keeping my money in the local economy but when the owner of the LHBS acts like I'm just there as an inconvience then I'll take my hard earned money elsewhere.

Seriously think of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

yours too? i had to look at your location to make sure we weren't talking about the same one!!! Cary is a great place though!

About the only thing I don't buy at my LHBS is hops. I can't justify paying 7$ for 2 ounces of Willamette hops that I could order off of hops direct for 7$ per POUND.

I buy from 2 different LHBS in town. I'm on the SW side, so I hit Hopman's http://www.hopmanssupply.com/ and Adventures in Hombrewing http://www.homebrewing.org/. The only thing I don't buy from them (and I just started this) is bulk grain and bulk hops. I just got in on a HBT/MM bulk grain buy from North Country Malt at half the price I bought 55lbs for locally, and I bought 10lbs. of hops for $72 ($72!!!!!:ban:) from Hops Direct.

How the heck can you beat that? I'll still buy racking canes, specialty grains, yeasts (those I don't re-use), etc. locally. HBT is great, but beer dicscussions face-to-face are a lot better.

I may have to join a club.... :tank: :mug:

Dave

I have 3 LHBS', one of which is is ruled out because its TOO local (read Brewmasters Wharehouse) Of the other two, one is pretty big with most everything a homebrewer needs, but the guy that runs the place is cranky and doesnt seem to appreciate my business. Also their prices arent that great. The other store is more of a wine store and the selection is a bit limited (I've heard the other guy bought out the distributors ;) ) but the couple thats owns it are really nice, always remember me and engage in conversation.

The only thing I have around is more of a gourmet general store with limited homebrew supplies.

Prices on the limited supplies also tend to be about what I would pay online including shipping so I generally don't go to my lhbs unless I haven't planned well and need something at the last minute.

I got tired of supporting the Internet companies. I got a few orders from AHS where they forget to ship one tiny thing and got tired of waiting another week just for a stopper or some keg disconnect. I exclusively go to my LHBS now. Prices are about the same and it's only 20 min away. One of the big things too was I wanted to support my local economy.

I avoid my lhbs as much as I can because he is an ass. Others have expressed an interest opening a store in my area, but the major suppliers won't support them while he is still in business. Too bad, I'd gladly pay more to a decent shop locally.

Mail order is a way of life where I live, since most specialty type needs require taking a ferry to the mainland which takes an hour and costs $12 round trip. Another hour from there to the closest LHBS. $6.99 shipping from BMW and it gets to me in 4 days sounds great.

I would support an LHBS if I had one though. I'd be willing to pay a little more if there was a good experience that came along with it. What I don't understand is why anyone would own an LHBS and be miserable about it as so many have posted. I have had a similar experience visiting a store that's a couple hours away when I was in the area for other reasons. The store was a total mess, they didn't store anything properly and the guy working there had no clue about anything in the store. I posted a thread a while back about opening an LHBS and my main reason for considering it (besides to provide an otherwise unavailable service) was to be able to meet other home brewers and to help grow a local homebrewing community. That's the allure!

My LHBS is in a guy's basement of his house and it's really expensive. He has about 20 different kinds of hops but no liquid yeast so if i'm going to buy white labs then i'll just get my stuff at the same time.

My nearest homebrew shop is about a 45 minute drive across the lake and down into town. If it were closer, I'd probably frequent it more. But as it stands I order online and have it delivered to my door.

~r~

I try to support my LHBS, but a lot of the time they are out of at least one item. This makes buying and brewing the same day rather difficult at times.

I actually just ordered a kit from AHB today, as well as stopped by the LHBS for some priming sugar for my IPA.

Although I am a total newbie to homebrewing, I guess the answer for me would be yes, but then again AHS is less than 5 minutes from my house....

I do both. I buy once in a while from the lhbs, about a 30 min drive, and it's in the worst part of town. It's also a 30 min drive across the border where I get a lot of things shipped. I like being able to have a huge variety recipes online, my lhbs has 5 online and about 30 in a book at the store. I tend to be ordering online a bit more now.

I have two local stores, one about a half hour away (Crystal Lake Health Food), and the second a little over an hour (Perfect Brewing). The health food store doesn't always have a brewer on staff, and they carry White Labs where I prefer Wyeast. The grain supply is mostly prepackaged from LD Carlson. Not bad, really, but it's not my first choice.

Perfect Brewing is an excellent shop with friendly brewers on staff all the time, beer samples available, a wide selection of bulk grain, hops, and yeast. Their prices are pretty competitive with the mail order houses. They've been getting the bulk of my business, lately. I make an afternoon out of it when I drive out there...can have a beer with lunch at the local brewpub up the street, and then hit the store.

I'll check out Northern Brewer's new store in Milwaukee, as I've mail ordered stuff from them for years, and been to the store in St. Paul.

Another yes, specifically for The Brew Hut in Aurora, CO. They're reasonable, knowledgeable, and friendly.

Also, it definitely helps that they're literally attached to Dry Dock Brewing which has some fantastic (and award-winning) beers on tap.

They're about fifteen minutes away from the office, so I can make it there and back during my lunch hour!

OK, I'm done bragging... :)

Hops: Hops direct
Base grain: Brewbrothers.biz
Yeast: Varies
Expensive equipment: Craigslist, here or elsewhere online and patience
Specialty grain and everyday (stoppers, airlocks, bottling wands, etc): LHBS

LHBS has gotten plenty of my money and if I brewed less I'd probably shop there almost exclusively. A large portion of their issue price wise, I think, is they are supplied by brewcraft - the wholesale arm of F.H. Steinbart. Steinbarts is known for being well stocked but overpriced...

Well, I live in a small town where I am surrounded by four bigger cities and all are about 100 miles from me. I picked Austin and use them. I go there every two or three months. Great people to deal with.

I'll shop there in a pinch. Its 30 min away and closes at 6:00. Its really hard for me to get there before they close with traffic after work. They also don't carry a lot of stuff I take for granted online. I can only buy PBW in small 5oz baggies. I can get tubs of the stuff online. My LHBS specializes in wine too. I'll say no, since I do all of my ingredient and equipment ordering through BrewMasters Warehouse.

I get my liquid yeast from the lhbs. I also buy some of my specialty grains and hops there. I often pick up odds and ends that I might need there as well. I buy my bulk grain and hops via mail order though. His prices are just too far out of whack on those items. I understand why, and I often will pay a little bit of a premium on some things to get them from him, but the bulk ingredients I just can't justify.

The other issue is that his hours are not really convenient for me.

In Omaha, NE there are two LHBS one block apart. The one tha has a lot of stuff charges seriously 2x the cost of most stores that you can access on the Internet. For instance, they charged $12.50 for a vial of White Labs Oktoberfest yeast... That's pretty intense. He also has some converted sanke kegs for boiling and a whopping $275.00 (they're nothing special either.. We're not talking a polished keg with beautiful welds and cool designs here..)

With that said, I'll occasionally go buy something from either store just to help keep them in business just in case there is every an urgent need. Other than that, I don't shop there.

Plus the guy at the shop that has a lot of stuff has a less than sunny disposition...

my lhb shops are a good distance away from me (30-45 minutes); the owner can be a bit of an asshat/acts like he could care less if you bought from him, always seems to be in a rush when you're there even if you're the only one there...and generally just is very stand-off-ish...prices are also higher...due to the location (northern VA) if it was just higher prices i'd probably go even though its out of my way...love to support small businesses when i can, and good face to face interaction is nice...but the fact i've never had a positive face to face (or phone) convo with the guy makes me shop online first...only go to him for emergencies now.

I know what shop you are talking about. I was down there for work once and went there after to get some grain. I did not have a mill at the time and the guy told me it would take an hour for him to crush the grain because he was expecting a delivery and he only had a hand cranked barley crusher as his store mill. I went across the street to DFH and had lunch and some beers while I waited, which was cool. I mean, at least hook a drill up to the BC to make things somewhat faster!

I just started brewing about 1.5 months ago. At first I would pop in about twice a week. I'm sure they thought I was creepy, stalky, strange. Now that I'm on a brewing cycle of every other week, I'm in once ever two weeks.

When I moved away from kits, they showed me around the shop and explained how to gather my ingredients. Really nice guys.

So some take-aways from this:
1 - Do not be way overpriced - keep things reasonable
2 - Provide a good variety of specialty grains/hops (though I can see that without much demand this may not be much of a profitable venture)
3 - Have knowledgeable staff on hand that are engaging and friendly
4 - Have reasonable store hours
... anything else?

So some take-aways from this:
1 - Do not be way overpriced - keep things reasonable
2 - Provide a good variety of specialty grains/hops (though I can see that without much demand this may not be much of a profitable venture)
3 - Have knowledgeable staff on hand that are engaging and friendly
4 - Have reasonable store hours
... anything else?

Don't be an A$$hat owner who think he knows it all...If you read some of the "my lhb sucks" threads on here, you will see that one of the biggest complaints on here is arrogant "I know it all" opinionated owners many of who the last book or info they read on brewing was Papzian's book 30 years ago. And sneer at anything contradictory to that, even if it happens to be the most recent, state of the art ideas and/techniques discussed on places like this, or on all the great podcasts on the topic.

This is an ever evolving hobby, and hopefully you'll keep up on the knowlgebase as it shifts, but if you don't and someone comes in who may know more than you, or may be more up to date, or just have a different take on things, then don't denigrate them, utilize and learn from them.

For example someone went to a homebrewshop recently looking for a bottling bucket dip tube (they didn't realize it's something you make not something you buy- and it's based on the stuff in my Bottling tip thread.

And the owner was *****ey to them. Others who have jumped on the "no secondary/long primary" shift in brewing philosophy have been derided by LHBS owners who still believe in autolysis.

If you end up not knowing about one of the 10,000 ways to skin this "brewing cat" don't bash down the brewer who does. He may be your best customer if he's treated nicely.

I use my LHBS all the time. The owner knows me now and all I need to do is mention an ingredient that I may want to use in the future and he is sure to bring it in. Their prices are good and they almost always have what I need in stock. What I like is that they are a beer first place. They do wine on premis but the majority of their business is beer. It is also handy to walk in the place and say "I've got this crzy idea" and he will be able to help me work through it.

i do for just about everything except for vessels those i make but for ingredients cleaning supplies uttensils and kegging equipment yes i do.

I dont shop there really...

#1. When I go there, they act like I am inconveniencing them.
#2. Thier prices are WACK! $2.30/lb for crystal malts? C'mon
#3. Buying in bulk not only saves money, but allows for brewing anytime with minimal planning.

Back