Do you ever drink BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been one of the more civilized discussions about BMC at HBT in my memory. There have been posts that BMC is for the unwashed masses and that, because of their awesome knowledge of that which is better, drinking anything but their chosen brews is some sort of slumming and those that do it are somehow lesser beings.

Oh, in case anyone got the wrong impression from me at least, drinking BMC has nothnig to do with the person drinking it. I often try and actually succeeded once, to get people out of their comfort zone, but I make no judgements about a person who likes it.

Oh hells yea, I loves me a ghetto keg (40oz) of MGD or maybe a couple cans of PBR. I am drinking a quart of Highlife right now as I type this. I finished a Stone Brewery IRS a little while ago to celebrate daylight savings time and have some of my own brewed Columbus Pale Ale, and a Guiness Stout clone on hand. Beer is beer is beer is..............
AP

Oh, in case anyone got the wrong impression from me at least, drinking BMC has nothnig to do with the person drinking it. I often try and actually succeeded once, to get people out of their comfort zone, but I make no judgements about a person who likes it.

I don't mind if a person likes BMC beers - hey more good stuff for me :). But what annoys me is the number of people that refuse to venture beyond them. It annoys me when I spend a little bit extra for a better case of beer to have for a party and nobody touches what I brought. And we're not talking anything super special or crazy here - just basic pale ales and the like.

Thats definitely an issue. It feels like a waste when people are either afraid or even too arrogant to drink good beers when they're available and they just stick to the generic light lager. I genuinely think some people find things like good beer/good food threatening.

It seems to me that makes sense. When people are at a party they might not want to be adventurous especially if they perceive the beer to be 'expensive' or special-- after all if they taste it and hate it, they'll be abandoning someone's 'good' beer.

I find that once a couple people 'break the seal' and are seeing others drinking it, things shift around and the craft brew goes more steadily. After all, people like to 'fit in'.

And of course there is the fact that when people are at a party they might be less willing to be adventurous and wnat to stick with something that will have a nice reliable interaction with their bodies. Some beer 'hit' people harder or differently and that can make it uncomfortable for people to explore if they have to get up the next day or drive home later.

I don't blame folks for not trying new things when at a party.

Case in point-- My lovely wife. She had always only drank Miller Lite. Her thing was that she had no i she would like and didnt want to order a beer to throw away. Through the years I have been exposing her to different beers. Every beer I order that she isnt familiar with I give her a taste. I have gotten "Bitter Beer Face" from her on many occasions but we have found enough choices that she likes so she won'tbe an embassment when I am drinking with my beer snob friends!LOL! Things I ahve found she likes : Abita Amber, Belgian white beers, HoeGaarden(sp?), Abita Purple Haze, Lazy Magnolia Golden Pecan and a few others.

I'll only drink BMC if its free and there's nothing better. Or if not to be rude. But, I can't remember the last time I ordered one somewhere or bought some at a store.

Case in point-- My lovely wife. She had always only drank Miller Lite. Her thing was that she had no i she would like and didnt want to order a beer to throw away. Through the years I have been exposing her to different beers. Every beer I order that she isnt familiar with I give her a taste.

That's how people are made to feel more comfortable and can be introduced to new things with appropriate expectations set. Especially if you can describe how it will taste in terms they understand.

+1000 Laphroaig. The father of a friend of mine gave me a bottle as a gift about 4 years ago because he knew I liked scotch. I still have over 1/2 the bottle left. If you like swampy moss taste, this is the stuff LOL. I'm told it is an acquired taste. I watched a special on it once, and it is apparently aged in a room with a big screen floor and they burn peat moss under the screen to infuse the moss flavor into the scotch. It is not a casual affect, rather extremely potent. Gives me the heebee geebees just thinking back on the taste.

Hey you can send it to me if you want!

I dig the High Life. That's about the only American Lager I'll buy. I'll steer clear of the American Lagers at the bar and get something like a Killian's if that's the most "high brow" beer they have. Just don't like the style all that much, I suppose.

I do buy the Bud American (Amber) Ale. Nifty bottles to reuse as well as an ok tasting beer.

Forget drinking the mass market alcopop, to drink that stuff is to go against why most of us became home brewers in the first place, to drink something that has real beer flavor and be creative, drink it if you must I know Ive been guilty of it in the past but when you have a choice support your local breweries the ones that actually care about what they make and keep brewing real beer not the multi million dollar add campains to promot a tastless beverage thats more on the lines of beer flavored water.

I do occasionally have a Coor's Light or Miller Lite. I just cannot stand Bud Light anymore. I believe there is a time and a place for everything.....no I don't enjoy it as much as say a Great Lakes Elliot Ness Amber Lager. If I'm out tailgating I think a Coors or Miller might be a better fit for me. :mug:

Whenever my friends and I go out, we usually set in to buying rounds as the night goes on. When a good friend is handing me a Coors Light, I'm not going to refuse. Times with friends are too good to squabble over what kind of beer I'm drinking.

They are always welcome to come over and drink my beer - and they do, which is a great compliment in itself, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

I dig the High Life. That's about the only American Lager I'll buy. I'll steer clear of the American Lagers at the bar and get something like a Killian's if that's the most "high brow" beer they have. Just don't like the style all that much, I suppose.

I do buy the Bud American (Amber) Ale. Nifty bottles to reuse as well as an ok tasting beer.

I'm like you man. I like high life in bottles. It's affordable and tasty with a squeeze of lime in it on a hot day.

Forget drinking the mass market alcopop, to drink that stuff is to go against why most of us became home brewers in the first place

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I became a homebrewer because I love all types of beer and because I love to make all types of beer. Nothing more to in than that.

If I'm running low on homebrew I'll pour a 1/2 pint MGD and 1/2 pint what I have on tap to stretch my supply until my next batch is ready to go

Living in the Lehigh Valley (PA) I really appreciate Yuengling Lager. It is funny how it has branched out over the past 20 years or so. I actually see it quite a few states now.
The "other" commercial beer I regularly like is Milwaukee's Best Light. At under $10 a case it is my lawn mowing beer.

I appreciate all beers and the variety that they allow. Just like music, there are some styles that I don't like and would not go out of my way for, but in the right context are enjoyable none the less.

Forget drinking the mass market alcopop, to drink that stuff is to go against why most of us became home brewers in the first place, to drink something that has real beer flavor and be creative, drink it if you must I know Ive been guilty of it in the past but when you have a choice support your local breweries the ones that actually care about what they make and keep brewing real beer not the multi million dollar add campains to promot a tastless beverage thats more on the lines of beer flavored water.

Ever hear of a period?

Is this a fake post or are you for real?

Mixing beers isn't totally unheard of. A black and tan is a more refined version of it. In spain they mix lager and lemon flavoured fizzy water to make a Clara, which is fantastic on a hot day. Here in Ireland they make Shandies which are similar.

Still, MGD and homebrew sounds like a waste of both.

I still drink BMC occaisionally when I'm at a party or with certain friends. They'll try some of the micro-brews I'll have around but most of them complain they can only have 1 or 2 of them before feeling too full.

Wussies. LOL

The only non-expensive beer I'll buy is Yuengling and thats only when I'm tight for cash. I usually keep some Sam Adams around as well.

Haven't finished bottle conditioning my first home brew yet, but hopefully I will get good enough at this that I can keep myself weel supplied with good beer, and not have to slum. LOL

Haven't finished bottle conditioning my first home brew yet, but hopefully I will get good enough at this that I can keep myself weel supplied with good beer, and not have to slum. LOL

Brew another batch right now. Otherwise you will run out and be forced to drink anything other than your own which is not the idea. I typically brew a batch every two weeks unless I make a 10 gallon batch. If you think about it. If it takes an average of three weeks to ferment you beer and three weeks to bottle it, that's 8 weeks to drink two cases (probably not all by yourself) and adding the two week break. At the end of the eight weeks you'll have another couple of cases. Thats a 6 pack a week.

LOL. Way ahead of you!! I have my second batch fermenting and a week from bottling, and I have 2 more extract brews right behind it.

I also have a batch of Apfelwein rhino farting up my apartment as we speak.

I think I caught the brewing bug.

My work is done here.

Lol.

Good, all that brewing you're doing will pay off when you make enough batches to cover the initial equipment expenses and you're making 50 cent beers that taste as good if not better than the ones you get in the store. Right now I have 15 gallons fermenting and 10 gallons bottled. I have two empty kegs that need filling and ingredients to make 5 gallons of APA and 5 gallons of Graff.

I typically made around 5 gallons every couple of weeks, but now I have a pipeline going since I keg. When A keg gets low, I pour it into a pitcher and keg another brew.

+another 1000 for Laphroaig. I usually drink Oban or Doublewood but on some occasions I like my Scotch strained through an ashtray thank you very much. The best part is when a friend asks me what I am drinking and I give them a sip... No one bums my booze.

man, i LOVE laphroaig... i can't get enough of that peaty smoky taste... lagavulin is also good, nice and peaty as well but not quite as intense as the frog.

man, i LOVE laphroaig... i can't get enough of that peaty smoky taste... lagavulin is also good, nice and peaty as well but not quite as intense as the frog.
"nice and peaty" is the understatement of the decade. Lagavulin is so damn phenolic it's like sipping pureed band-aids.

Laphroaig is a perfect example of "too much of a good thing." I've been drinking alot of Talisker. It's definitely on the peaty side, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm chewing on a peat cigar like Laphroaig.

Laphroaig is a perfect example of "too much of a good thing." I've been drinking alot of Talisker. It's definitely on the peaty side, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm chewing on a peat cigar like Laphroaig.

Agreed-- though I do like to get a laphroaig cask strength and appropriately water it.

There are many of the peaty scotches that are okay. It's definitely not a flavor that one should surprise a person with, however.

I am confused by the earlier comment about band aids, however, as peat flavor is not band aid like.

Only time is at the Rays ballgames. And not anymore since I found they had Smithwicks there. The bud there tastes vaguely like soap, and I always get grossed out by it.

Were I to buy something, it'd be Old Milwaukee, which I will always be fond of mostly because it was the choice for my dear old granddad. I loved that guy.

I had to go through six or so pages to find a fellow compatriot that consumes Old Milwaukee...and a fellow bay denizen at that! :rockin:

My brother in law and I conducted a not so scientific "Cheap Off" study this summer. The theory was there has/had to be something to these cheap beers. They were big sellers in their day. The old fellers back in the day had to see something in them. And to that, I still remember my first "remembered" taste of beer was some of my Granddad's Schaefer Beer.

With that in mind we plowed through ever cheap BMC offering we could find. The top two slots are occupied by Old Milwaukee, and PBR.

I find the Millwater more agreeable than the Pabst. It's dry. Got a nice crisp flavor. The PBR finishes a little sweeter. Problem is, it's tough to find a place that serves 'em around here.

Maybe its just that some people have a different idea of what is good beer/food than you do?

Tastes are individual, and people like different things.

Yeah, but I think he's on the right track. It should be more that a good number of people don't like complex (which most "good" stuff is) food and drink. So they tend to go for the lowest common denominator.

It's kinda like in the movie Ratatouille, the other rats are happy eating garbage because they don't notice how the flavors of "good" food play off of each other to taste even better, but Remi does notice it.

I bought a sixer of PBR last night just to try. I've never had it. I started drinking craft beer pretty early in my adult life after I realized I didn't really care for BMC and that there was so much more out there.

I tried a can (poured into a glass) last night. It wasn't bad. A little over-carbed and fairly flavorless, but the subtle flavor that's there is pleasant. It was as if it wanted to be a flavorful beer. With a little more malt flavor, a little less carbonation, and a little more bitterness and hop aroma, this could be a very good beer. Anyway, I'd drink it once in a while or if there wasn't much else from which to choose.

but the subtle flavor that's there is pleasant.QUOTE]

I've noticed the same thing with most BMCs. My dad homebrewed when I was growing up, so I didn't consume a BMC until at least my mid-20s. I think that some could be very tasty if somehow they were concentrated. Maybe freeze concentrated like Canadian Ice-Wine, or maybe just not watered down so much when originally brewed.

I like PBR and Old Milwaukee (not Light, not Ice, not Milwaukee's Best but OLD Milwaukee). I despise Miller Lite.

Just curious. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my good beers but often when I'm with friends watching NASCAR, Football, etc, I will partake in some BMC action. This is especially true when we camp in the infield for the races. I'll normally be drinking Miller Lite with the rest of the guys for the weekend. Just wondering if I should be banned from this site forever or if anyone else tips back with a few of the industrial lagers from time to time. :cross:

I drink it occasionally to remind me that even my worst science experiment of a brew is better than anything BMC could brew in a lifetime. : )

YMMV.

Back