How much beer do you drink per day/week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayzor

Reaction score
Just wondering...

I'm spending much of my time watching youtube videos, reading new material about brewing, and checking out new equipment and techniques.

As you can see, this is a hobby that takes up A LOT of my time, when I'm not writing on my novels, that is.

So, this being a hobby taking up a lot of my time, I happen to be drinking a lot too. Usually about 6-7liters a week...and at least one 0.5ltr a day.

What about you? How much do you drink? And do you feel bad about it?

Lately, I've been reading a lot in the "news" that drinking a couple of beers a day is very healthy. So, what is true...what is your experience guys and girlies?

Except for the calories, I'd say that amount is at the top end of being healthy. Half of that is probably healthier still. I average slightly less than a pint (1/2L) a day since I abstain a couple of days a week (I think you should to get your liver to catch up) and I'm still gaining weight from the hobby! Brew on...

Rule of thumb....never drink two days in a row.
I personally don't count "a beer or two" as drinking.
Those being 12-oz beers...not 64-oz growler fills.
Oddly enough now that i make beer i consume it much less.
Knowing exactly what efforts go into making it and all makes me personally seem to respect it more. Course, i'm the type of guy that thinks wasting food is a sin so maybe it's just my own personal perspective and mine alone.

I can count at least a dozen breweries within a mile of work so it takes a lot of self control to abstain 3-4 days a week when I get off (I go for a beer at least once through the week). But as the others have said I respect the quality of the beer more than the quantity these days and I drink most of what I drink on friday and saturday. probably about 2-3 liters a week unless i'm feeling saucy.

I drink around 8 to 10 beers a day and that is 7 days a week. I am on low end at work, some of those guys drink at least an 18 pack per day.

-Altrez

I drink around 8 to 10 beers a day and that is 7 days a week. I am on low end at work some of those guys dink at least an 18 pack per day.

-Altrez

Wow! Not being negative in any way, how do you feel? Weight? Energy? Health problems? And finally, but not least...THE WIFE, if any...her response? The reason I'm asking...I love beer, and I'd like/love to drink it like water, but I'm a little afraid of the consequences long term.

I drink around 8 to 10 beers a day and that is 7 days a week. I am on low end at work, some of those guys drink at least an 18 pack per day.

-Altrez

Been there. but that was 6 years ago when the Marine Corps forced me to work off my beer gut

2 when I get home in the evenings... to relax. 3 on weekends... sometimes 4 if its hot out...

2 when I get home in the evenings... to relax. 3 on weekends... sometimes 4 if its hot out...

...5 if it's Monday... 6 if I have to have dinner with the in-laws... 7 because it's a lucky number... 8 if I forgot I already had 7 ...9 because why not? I'm already going to be hung over... 10 because that's as high as I can count after 9 beers.

I try to know my limits.....

I don't Always Drink Beer.jpg

Wow! Not being negative in any way, how do you feel? Weight? Energy? Health problems? And finally, but not least...THE WIFE, if any...her response? The reason I'm asking...I love beer, and I'd like/love to drink it like water, but I'm a little afraid of the consequences long term.

I have a beer gut to be proud of for sure. I have got gout from drinking so much beer and eating red meat. The wife has know me for 10 years and over that time I have really cut back.

It leads to health problems increased cost in insurance and feeling icky most of the time.

-Altrez

Been there. but that was 6 years ago when the Marine Corps forced me to work off my beer gut

My Brother is a former Marine and he drinks at least a case a day if you count him and his buddies hanging out at the VFW.

-Altrez

Thanks for the response Altrez. Appreciate it.

I've got this problem up in my head. Do I want to have a long life, or do I want to actually live my life?

I read about this guy Burns, who smoked a couple of packs of cigarettes a day, drank "all day" long and ate whatever he wanted. He lived to be 102. He said, STAY HAPPY, STRESS KILLS YOU!!

I think my mom was scared of being an alcoholic so I was raised with the advice to:

- Never drink alone
- Never drink when you're depressed

....so yunno, I became a classic binge drinking instead :D ... I honestly bend these rules a bit but they are ingrained, so I probably average *one* beer a week unless I go out. Since I've been home brewing I guess this number has risen to maybe three a week, but it'll happen in one evening ....

24-32oz per day, M-F, 32-64oz each day Sat & Sun, on average. My BMI is 23, I just turned 30, I dont exercise regularly, and I have a little beer gut that appears exaggerated by lordosis in my back. I actually just started making myself do 50 crunches each day before drinking my after work beers. I got grossed out by my beer gut in a photo of myself at the beach recently. Day 3 going strong!

24-32oz per day, M-F, 32-64oz each day Sat & Sun, on average. My BMI is 20, I just turned 30, I dont exercise regularly, and I have a little beer gut that appears exaggerated by lordosis in my back. I actually just started making myself do 50 crunches each day before drinking my after work beers. I got grossed out by my beer gut in a photo of myself at the beach recently. Day 3 going strong!

Keep it up! Felt a little off about myself too the other day, knowing summer is coming up. Guess I'll do some running...if I could get that freakin foot over that damn door step that is ;-)

Depends on the work week...I generally don't drink during the week but that can change depending on what's for dinner.

Usually it's 4-6 on Saturday and Sunday and that's it...work out during the week destroy progress during the weekend

1-3 beers a night if I'm relaxing by myself. When among friends it's 4-6 beers. So around 20 beers a week.

3-4 beers a week. Usually 1 12 oz, a bomber on rare occasions. Multiple beers only in social situations. My dad was alcoholic so I am very conscious of keeping it under control. I enjoy it and don't want to deprive myself, but I want to feel like I can stop at any time.

Thanks for the response Altrez. Appreciate it.

I've got this problem up in my head. Do I want to have a long life, or do I want to actually live my life?

I read about this guy Burns, who smoked a couple of packs of cigarettes a day, drank "all day" long and ate whatever he wanted. He lived to be 102. He said, STAY HAPPY, STRESS KILLS YOU!!

1-1.5 beers per day on average, I'd say, with most of that coming on the weekends or at social events. I've curbed it down quite a bit since I became a Dad 4 years ago. I never used to worry much about my health or being around long term until then.

That being said, it has gotten WAY harder to keep in check the last couple years since I started kegging. It's just way too easy to go grab a half pour here, a half pour there, while I'm at home. Which is quite a bit since I work from home most of the time.

used to only drink on weekends (maybe 4-5 night), then got a divorce and my life turned upside down. I averaged a 12 pack that year and am trying to slow down again. I try and take at least 2 days off a week, otherwise its 3 or 4 a night

Cold be none, could be three or four or anywhere in between. Just depends on how I feel.

Just wondering...

I'm spending much of my time watching youtube videos, reading new material about brewing, and checking out new equipment and techniques.

As you can see, this is a hobby that takes up A LOT of my time, when I'm not writing on my novels, that is.

So, this being a hobby taking up a lot of my time, I happen to be drinking a lot too. Usually about 6-7liters a week...and at least one 0.5ltr a day.

What about you? How much do you drink? And do you feel bad about it?

Lately, I've been reading a lot in the "news" that drinking a couple of beers a day is very healthy. So, what is true...what is your experience guys and girlies?

a liter a day is about right (36 oz or so). More on weekends if I am hosting some beer drinking friends.

drinking a beer a day (with food, slowly) is much much better than not drinking at all. While benefits max out at around 2 beers or so a day, even drinking a six-pack a day is better for you than not drinking at all.

See this book:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=541446

On the subject of health I would like to say that my only crime is being overweight ( I'm 6'1" and 280) and at 25 I have high blood pressure. I don't get to have beer that much. I honestly wish I could brew, and give most of it away and keep some for myself. I really get a kick about giving stuff to other people. Now no funny men on here saying send it to me I'll take it lol. It won't be very good since I'm new and I don't wanna ship. If you're close stop by.

Usually 1-4 a day, depending on my mood, what's on tap, how much I have on hand, and so on. If I had a busy day, it's hot, and I have a good supply of lighter lawnmower beers, I'll have several. If all I have is a few bigger beers and I'll only have one or two.

I think perspective is in order here! I could down 2-4 16oz glasses of a 4.5% pale ale. However a 12oz. double IPA or imperial stout at 9-12% and usually one is enough. Granted I may indulge a bit more in the company of friends, but I usually keep it in check.

Too much I'm sure. Atleast 4-6 a day during the week, rarely under 6% and up to 10 or 12 on a nice weekend day.

Usually a glass or two on a weekday, sometimes 2-3 on a weekend day.

But often my glasses are half pours because I'm working around the house or having to go somewhere or it's later in the evening. Plus I like a fresh pour better than warm, flat beer.

I think my mom was scared of being an alcoholic so I was raised with the advice to:

- Never drink alone
- Never drink when you're depressed

I live alone so most of my drinking is when I am alone.
If I am depressed and I drink, I forget that I was depressed. ;) actually depression is very rare for me.

My drinking varies - sometimes I don't drink at all for a week of so, other times I drink 4-6 twelve ounce bottles a night for a couple of weeks.

It gets tough to keep track when I am drinking from the keg....

As long as I don't get the beer gut and don't get severely hung over - don't start thinking that I "need" a beer. I am not too worried about health concerns. People who drink a lot more than I do lead long healthy lives.

I drink a couple of drinks a day, whether beer or otherwise. My limit is two on school nights, though.

Latest posts

Back