Do you ever drink BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drink it (miller lite) at sporting events or if I am at someone elses house who does not have any good stuff. I won't make an extra stop just to get good stuff if I am going to someones house either.

I love Coors and Coors Light. I drink in phases though. I've had stout phases, hophead phases, wheat beer phases, and am currently in a light lager phase. It comes and goes. Right now I'm drinking more Coors Light than I have in a long time and I'm brewing lighter beers, too. I'm just enjoying lower IBU, light beers at the moment and those two are excellent examples IMHO. I'm sure that will shift soon to something else. I'm already itching to make a porter or Irish red. That doesn't mean I'll cut my Coors out entirely, but I imagine I'll shift down to drinking less of it.

I always have a keg of Miller Lite in the kegerator. Why you may ask, two reasons really. Sometimes I just want something not very heavy and my nephews drink beer like water. Those guys are both Marines and can really put the stuff away. Not sure what all they're taught in boot camp but I'm positive beer consumption is on the training board. :)

:off: And for all you military gals and guys out there, thanks for doing what you do.

If one truly enjoys the taste of BMC, have at it. It's not what you drink, it's why you drink it.

Personally, I really don't like the taste of it. I think it's the adjuncts along with little hop presence that deters my taste buds. If it's all that's available, I can drink some of the "imported" mass lagers like Stella or even a non-skunked Heineken, but every time I try to give BMC a shot, I find myself trying to hide my gagging face from whomever gave it to me.

I am curious though about PBR. I don't think I've ever had it. I've read on here that it seems to be the best of the bunch, so I may actually buy that at some point just to try it.

There will always be a time and place(although very, limited) for bmc, your a *****ie snob if you don't agree.

I've started bringing Coors lite to parties, people tend to think you're a beer snob when they first meet you and you bring some craft brew. I don't need people thinking that I think I'm better than them or something. After first meeting them and they find out I brew then the next time I bring other things among my own homebrew, then suddenly it's really cool.

I'm also with the guy who mentioned his phases...After drinking nothing but craft and homebrew for months after I started brewing I grabbed a miller lite and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't had it in so long it kinda felt like I was trying a new beer.

If at a restaurant and I feel like a beer and they only have BMC, then that's what I get.

I find that too about the craft brew. Its really annoying, I always by craft beer when I'm in the states because I'm there for too short of a time to drink BMC, but you do get attitude on occasion. Especially from the "I sweat blue-collar" friend of mine who's actually a lawyer. I just take my knocks and treat my taste buds.

There's even more snobbery against beer appreciation here in Ireland. If you have developed beer tastes and don't default to Guiness or macrolager then its perceived as a slight against guiness or that you're a sissy wanker. Its slowly changing, but the "I'm too manly to appreciate nice things" guys I know won't drink my homebrew because its too geeky to care about your booze. If I'm out with them I just get rounds of Heineken to avoid offending anyone.

Another alcohol related snobbery that is often unjustified is in scotch. The idea that only single malts are worth drinking or that older whisky is automatically better is unadulterated rubbish, as are most of the 'should never do that to good whisky' rules.

On the subject of BMC--- when I'm eating hot wings, it is often a waste to drink homebrew. The subtleties are buried by the spices-- in fact, select a beer with the wrong flavor profiles and the spices can highlight exactly the wrong flavors and make the beer taste horrible.

Why would I waste my money on a 'good' beer when I can order up a BMC to go with my wings?

One other thing that matters a lot: location. Some bars simply don't move the craft brew. So it sits in the lines or in that glass fronted case for months languishing in beer hell. Sometimes its just safer to buy the beer you are sure is getting sold through enough to be in good shape. Though I often will order a mixed drink in those cases.

That's a big part of the reason Corona and Heineken have a 'it's always skunky' reputation-- clear and green bottles stored in glass fronted cases in front of florescent lights are skunked withing hours of being uncased. And I've seen dusty corona and Heineken come out of bar coolers. (Not so much any more now that they are 'popular' and frequently no longer on the 'specialty' beer price)

i'm a busch light guy... well, was. homebrewing has definitely curtailed my consumption of it. i haven't bought any for about a month now, but still have a few with my dad at his place... nothin' wrong with it IMHO.

Good point on the scotch kornkob. When I studied in Rome I lived with a guy who would drink this cheap "single malt" Glen Grant scotch, which he was convinced was better than J&B or red label. It tasted like gasoline and was almost clear in color. Sometimes the snobs are just misinformed.

Honestly I dont complain about a PBR or a coors or even a bud as long as its ice cold and its hot outside. There are a ton of reasons for BMC beers and yes we all indulge once in a while (I dunno if I would call it indulging :) )

Ahh if you going to drink fizzy yellow stuff make it a Keystone! We use to get 30 stones for $11 bucks in college. Had a few on 4th of July, and its not terrible! Left it in my hot garage for 6 months and it ages well. Nice malty finish ;)

High Life ain't so bad. I'll have one of those when there's nothing better available. No need to be a total snob, it's just beer after all.

Only time is at the Rays ballgames. And not anymore since I found they had Smithwicks there. The bud there tastes vaguely like soap, and I always get grossed out by it.

Were I to buy something, it'd be Old Milwaukee, which I will always be fond of mostly because it was the choice for my dear old granddad. I loved that guy.

Very cool to see everyone's opinions. Other than the Miller Lite in my OP, I do tend to throw back some PBR and Yuengling now and again. For the most part though, I do prefer my homebrew and craft brews.

On a side note a friend and I are going to do an experiment with Dutch Gold (a keystone type beer you can get here). We're going to add some trub yeast and a bit of sugar to an empty bottle, and then fill the bottle with some DG we've let go flat. We're then going to let it bottle carb and condition for a few months and see what it tastes like.

The bud there tastes vaguely like soap, and I always get grossed out by it.

I think Bud tastes like used soap. :)

Odds are the soap taste is half a good thing: odds are they are actually cleaning the lines. (They just need work on rinsing)

Only time is at the Rays ballgames. And not anymore since I found they had Smithwicks there. The bud there tastes vaguely like soap, and I always get grossed out by it.

Were I to buy something, it'd be Old Milwaukee, which I will always be fond of mostly because it was the choice for my dear old granddad. I loved that guy.

Yeah, we're lucky here in Atlanta. When we go to see the Braves, Turner Field has Sweetwater (a local brewery) 420 on tap. I figure since I'm already paying 7.50 for a beer, might as well make it a good one. :cross:

Man--- $7.50 a pint? That's brutal. Then again, I'm not a big fan of going to ball games. I'd rather watch in the comfort of a bar or a home.

In some ways homebrewing has increased my appreciation for some of the macro brewed beer. To me it's a laugh how homebrewers complains about the adjuncts, but don't have a problem adding oats, spices, pumpkin or who knows what to beer. Buddy, if it tastes good, I'll drink it.

A few weeks ago a friend gave me a sixer of Coors for helping with a move. Part of me said, "Oh no Steve, not the Coors."

But another part of me said, "Dude, you don't turn down a sixer."

So, I took the Coors home, and then a couple of nights later, I took one out of the fridge for dinner. I thought this cheap **** will go well with a $5 Little Ceasers Pizza and wings. I had a laugh as I read about the color changing label, then poured it into a pint glass.

I tell you what, it was clear as a bell, ismelled good, and tasted smooth. This is from someone who usually doesn't go for canned beer period.

At a bar, unless they specialize in micro brew beer, I order a Miller Lite or PBR. I'll take a fresh lite beer over an old dusty micro that costs twice as much any day of the week. However, if they have 5 or so micros on tap, that is a different story all together, and I'll pay more for a fresh and unique product.

Yea I was at an SF Giants game in sept.... $8 for Anchor, $5.50 for Bud. I had one of each, once you get much past the 5 mark its hard to get me to drink it on principle. Its a beverage, no matter what it costs it'll be drank in less time than it takes to go warm. Theres only so much I'll pay for that privilege.

Only if it's given to me.

That argument that "Just because I can cook a steak better than sizzler doesn't mean I'm always going to cook steak" is silly. You can also go to a restaurant that serves better steak than sizzler as well.

BMC isn't horrible, but I can't imagine that I'll ever actually buy it given other options.

I feel dirty yet appropriate having this as my first post in some months

That argument that "Just because I can cook a steak better than sizzler doesn't mean I'm always going to cook steak" is silly. You can also go to a restaurant that serves better steak than sizzler as well.

Not always. I have been places where Sizzler would have been the best of a string of less than stellar options.

Not always. I have been places where Sizzler would have been the best of a string of less than stellar options.

Well if your choice is BMC or a string of lesser quality beers, I guess your decision is made for you. But I think you missed my point. It was that you can choose to go somewhere with better quality. It's not that BMC is terrible, it's that other options are so much better.

Um-- this thread is filled with examples of craft breweres where they make the choice to do drink BMC over the other lesser options.

Thus the example is valid.

It's not that BMC is terrible, it's that other options are so much better.
Not to 90% of the population. American Lagers are the most popular style of beer in the world because that is what most of the people want most of the time.

I will say that it bugs me that the diet BMC outsell the regular BMC. You are paying the same for less, I don't get that. And don't tell me it's because you are on a diet, if you are on a diet you shouldn't be drinking beer at all.

Um-- this thread is filled with examples of craft breweres where they make the choice to do drink BMC over the other lesser options.

First of all, I'm talking about drinking micros over BMC, not BMC over lesser choices.

All I was saying is that the metaphor implied some effort being put forth (cooking a steak) to get better quality than getting the standard (restaurant steak, or BMC)

When in fact, most of the time there is a no-effort choice.

My point is only that given a choice, I will almost always drink something other than BMC. And of the dozens of places I drink, none of them put me in a situation to not have a choice.

And again, I drink my fair share of bud when I'm hunting during thanksgiving, for example. But even then I hide a 6 of something else so I can drink it in between.

And I know 90% of people like this and that, but my life experience has proven 90% of people to have ill developed opinions of quality

Peeeeebbbeeerrrrr
Step one: Crack the pbr can
Step two: Take a swig until the beer is at level with the displaced can tab inside.
Step three: Top off with oj
Step four: Profit

Honestly, If I take a pbr/etc., pour it into a glass and pay attention to what I'm drinking there are some things to like...

Absolutely.
While shopping for this weekend's camping trip I picked up a 6er of Dale's Pale Ale and a case of PBR. It's reasonably good, fairly cheap, and I can drink a fsck-ton of them.

No offense, but I can't see how some folks can drink the Miller Lite. Someone brought a bunch to my place some years back and, after trying one, the best use for them I could come up with was shaking them up really well and shooting them with the pellet rifle. :D

Not to 90% of the population. American Lagers are the most popular style of beer in the world because that is what most of the people want most of the time.

I will say that it bugs me that the diet BMC outsell the regular BMC. You are paying the same for less, I don't get that. And don't tell me it's because you are on a diet, if you are on a diet you shouldn't be drinking beer at all.

The question really is if those 90% have truly tried a find craft brew with an open mind and without pre-conceived notions. My guess is no to most of them.

Absolutely.
While shopping for this weekend's camping trip I picked up a 6er of Dale's Pale Ale and a case of PBR.

The PBR or Dale's ?

Dale's Pale Ale, and the other Oscar Blues beers are all pretty good, with the exception of their pilsner.

And they most definitely fall into the expensive micro category!

paying the same for less? Less taste ya but that's about it.

paying the same for less? Less taste ya but that's about it.
Well what I was refering to was the amount of ingredients that go into it. There is less ingredients going into it but you pay the same price. So yeah, you pay the same for less flavor, aroma, alcohol...everything.

Personally my favorite non-craft brew is Rolling Rock, i used to hate it but then one day in college it turned on me and drank anytime we went out.

I also love PBR, i grew up on that stuff and always enjoy a cold bottle (for some reason cans never tasted as good).

I would rather have homebrew or microbrews, but sometimes i need light and cheap.

Back