Do you drink your airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandMike

Reaction score
I've never actually done it myself, however I must admit that after my first batch of cider was done fermenting I was tempted. The rum I had in the airlock had a nice apple smell and even looked slightly carbonated. I thought that it would taste good but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Anyone every drank their airlock booze? :ban:

Could work if using vodka i suppose, how would it taste after a few weeks of having co2 pushed through it? If you try it let me know because thats the only way ill find out :mug:

Never done it, but I'll give it a try this Saturday and post the results. It's a Red Ale with vodka in the airlock.

Last time I drank the airlock, it had had whiskey in it. All the alcohol was gone from the whiskey when I drank it. weird.

Not weird at all, alcohol evaporates much faster than water. I have been using this rum lately at 57.1% until recently I always used water. I notice after about 3 days. I quite often have to top it up as it has gone down to about half the volume. So the whole concept of using alcohol in the airlock might be moot after a few days.

Not weird at all, alcohol evaporates much faster than water. I have been using this rum lately at 57.1% until recently I always used water. I notice after about 3 days. I quite often have to top it up as it has gone down to about half the volume. So the whole concept of using alcohol in the airlock might be moot after a few days.

you have to stop sipping from the airlock mate, no wonder it "evaporates" :p

I love how how a random question I thought would be funny while in a slightly inebriated state of being has turned into a discussion on the necessity of airlocks.

Love HBT

lol

Well, we need the airlock so that nothing gets in the beer before or after fermentation...it is about impossible for something to get in there once it's blowing out co2. You are less likely for the liquid in the airlock itself to be infected if you start with alcohol or a star-san solution. So, even though there may be no alcohol left, at least it doesn't have any bugs in there and you don't have to worry about a little suck-back.

One trick would be to add a dash of potassium metabisulfite in the airlock every couple of days. This would ensure that nothing lives in there.

Anyone else find gnats in their airlock before? They don't squeeze down in there...I think the reason for this is that the gnats lay eggs through the holes of the airlock. Only way I can think of for those little bastards to get in there.

Bastard fruit flies get into mine, they particularly enjoy Applewine. Damn it, I hate fruit flies.

I think airlock juice would taste better carbonated.

i wonder if there is a way to carbonate the airlock fluid in the final stages of fermentation by keeping a solid cap on top, and by strengthening the grommet connection...

mmmmm....airlock juice

I think airlock juice would taste better carbonated.

i wonder if there is a way to carbonate the airlock fluid in the final stages of fermentation by keeping a solid cap on top, and by strengthening the grommet connection...

mmmmm....airlock juice

didnt quite think that one through did we :drunk:

You can have mine. You can melt the ice you scrape out of the freezer when you defrost it and use that to brew while your at it. Oh, and collect the condensation from air conditioners too.

:p

You can have mine. You can melt the ice you scrape out of the freezer when you defrost it and use that to brew while your at it. Oh, and collect the condensation from air conditioners too.

:p

Ingenious... These ideas could revolutionize the whole brewing scene boys! Think about all the potential new flavours that we might add to the beers by using AC condensation haha. :rockin:

Ingenious... These ideas could revolutionize the whole brewing scene boys! Think about all the potential new flavours that we might add to the beers by using AC condensation haha. :rockin:

Actually, condensation is distilled water, if you can find away to keep it clean long enough to collect a l lot of it, it wouild be good stuff, for certain application.

Dehumidifier water, anyone?

Actually, condensation is distilled water, if you can find away to keep it clean long enough to collect a l lot of it, it wouild be good stuff, for certain application.

Dehumidifier water, anyone?

If you could have it drip down into a bucket, or collect it regularly, then all you need is potassium metabisulfite.

Back