Do I store dry yeast in refrigerator if I am not using right away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthej

Reaction score
Hi

I just picked up a few beer kits and I got American East Coast Ale Yeast in a package and SafLager Dry Lager Yeast in a package as well.

I won't be brewing right away. Do I store these in my refrigerator until I need them.

Also, is it ok to leave the hops out too? It is pretty hot where I live, but can store them in the cooler basement

Thanks!

I have space in my refrigerator. So that's where I've always kept dry yeast. Even bread yeast.

But if you have a cool basement it'll probably last at least as long as the date on the sachet's. If your house doesn't get extremely hot, it'll probably be fine in the cabinet.

If it doesn't you can come back and let us know.

Hops I'd either freeze or refrigerate depending on how long a term it will be till used. And that's talking months to years. Not weeks.

When I first started homebrewing I did extract kits exclusively, and stored all of the components in the box they came in. Have moved on to all grain since. After reading here I've switched to refrigerating the yeast and freezing the hops.

"Store in a cool, dry place" says the yeast packaging (kinda vague). Some brew suppliers keep them out, in an aisle, in a box. Others keep them in a cooler. I say keep them in the fridge...can't hurt.

As far as hops. I always store them vacuum packed in the freezer.

Keeping dry yeast cool in a sealed pack is good practice generally, especially if being stored for months to a year or two, but, since they have a very low water content, there's very little chemistry going on regardless, so they're pretty fine at room temperature. Mine, mainly for bread making, are stored in the fridge. Exposure to air (moisture and O2) is the thing to avoid.

I used 2 half packs of 2 different yeasts for my latest brew, will probably use the rest in max 2 months but I folded the satchet, taped it shut and chucked them in the freezer. Dry yeast has no moisture to speak of and is in a sort of slumber mode until it comes in to contact with wort so theoretically the optimal way to store it should be the freezer, just remember to let it warm up before use...

When I first started homebrewing I did extract kits exclusively, and stored all of the components in the box they came in. Have moved on to all grain since. After reading here I've switched to refrigerating the yeast and freezing the hops.

If one is buying multiple LME-based kits to brew over a number of months, Briess has information on how to store the LME.

folded the satchet, taped it shut and chucked them in the freezer.
I fold the packet, use a rubber band to hold it tight, and put it back in the fridge. I tend to use open packages within two or three months of opening the packet.

I'd stick those taped down pouches inside a freezer baggy, squeeze the air out while sealing and return to the freezer. This provides a double moisture barrier.

"Vacuum seal all the things!"

In the past, vacuum sealing partially opened yeast packages has been suggested.

"Vacuum seal all the things!"
Beginning brewers (this is their forum) don't usually have the luxury of owning a vacuum sealer. So squeezing as much air out is the next best thing.
I'm a beginning brewer in that light, too. ;)

Although, I've been considering getting a regular (universal) vacuum pump for the past few years. I only haven't found enough reason to justify buying one for the sole purpose of sucking the air out of my hops bags. My lungs still do the job fine, using a straw in the corner.

I keep my dry yeast in zip- lock bags in a storage freezer regulated to 35-40°F. I keep my grain in there too. I just pulled a pack of wine yeast out that had expired in 2011. After letting it come to room temperature, I pitched it directly into my carboy and it started perking within 15 minutes! I don’t know how hardy all yeasts are, but this one has hung on.

Hi

I just picked up a few beer kits and I got American East Coast Ale Yeast in a package and SafLager Dry Lager Yeast in a package as well.

I won't be brewing right away. Do I store these in my refrigerator until I need them.

Also, is it ok to leave the hops out too? It is pretty hot where I live, but can store them in the cooler basement

Thanks!

Sometimes there are storage instructions on the yeast. For example, I have a some saison yeast that says it should be stored at <4C. My first kit just had a packet that was -- very helpfully -- labeled "yeast." I was able to look up the kit, find out it was US-04 and then find the storage instructions for that.

I'm pretty new, but it looks like others have offered some great advice on your other questions and storing partially used materials. Good luck!

Back