DIY Automated bottling for under 100$ is it possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeNNeS

Reaction score
I just saw a video of a guy who made a Drink maker using a microcontroller and 2 windshield washer pump.

http://www.matthewdavidwilliams.com/2008/10/17/introducing-barduino-the-ruby-powered-bar-monkey/

It made me think about using it at bottling time with beer on one side and the priming sugar on the other. Press the button and your ready to cap. Even a simpler version where you just need one pump so you put you priming sugar in the hole batch as usual...

But im kegging so i prefer individual priming because i never know how much beer is left after filling my keg.

So now for the capping do anyone have an idea about how we could automate that process for cheap... something like a DIY electric capper.

The bill so far

Arduino : 34.99$
Pump: 9.75$ X 2
Electronic part: 20.51$

I was thinking about modifying a benchcapper i already have so there is 25$ left to be on my 100$ target.

Any idea is welcome !
Thanks
:mug:

I'm sure it could be done. I think the concern might be whether or not you could effectively clean and sanitize those little pumps. Definitely a cool idea, though. Keep us posted.

The capper might be a little more difficult because of the amount of mechanical force required to properly cap a bottle (think about how much leverage is used on a two handed capper or even a bench top capper). If you could find a motor of sort to do this, you'd also need to make sure it doesn't crush the bottle. I just picked up a bench capper and looking at the gear notches on the shaft that lowers onto the bottle, i almost think a power window motor could do it (though, i don't know how much force they have).

1551-6522L.jpg

Great idea !!! Will probably need some kind of controller to stop it from crushing the bottle but it worth looking into it ...

How about a momentary switch at the bottom of the motors run to reverse the motor?

Back