Disappointed in Dogfish Head 120

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many others, I had great expectations (why else would you plunk down $10 for a 12oz bottle?). But I found myself struggling to like it and ultimately failing to do so. The thing was so syrupy and sticky I felt like I needed a shower afterward. It was a good effort from DFH to attempt something like that, and while some may like it, it's definitely not to my liking.

DFH 120 is the best beer in America...IMHO.
If you cant take the hops, get out of the kitchen!

but that's what everyone's initial complaint is. that there is little to no hop bitterness in it to balance out the extreme (cloying IMO) malty sweetness. it's labeled as an IPA and it simply is not one.

I didn't like probably for the fact that I was expecting an extreme IPA and it was nothing like what I had convinced myself it would be. I poured a whole glass that was chilled and I almost couldn't finish it. I had to force myself to drink it.

now on the other hand, Sam Adams Utopias is every bit as sweet and I love that stuff. but I knew what it was supposed to be like. if I could get my hands on another 120 I'd probably let it sit at room temp and drink only a 2ish oz serving like utopias and just recap the bottle.

I'm willing to give it another shot but Ill go about drinking it in an entirely different fashion.

but that's what everyone's initial complaint is. that there is little to no hop bitterness in it to balance out the extreme (cloying IMO) malty sweetness. it's labeled as an IPA and it simply is not one.

I didn't like probably for the fact that I was expecting an extreme IPA and it was nothing like what I had convinced myself it would be. I poured a whole glass that was chilled and I almost couldn't finish it. I had to force myself to drink it.

now on the other hand, Sam Adams Utopias is every bit as sweet and I love that stuff. but I knew what it was supposed to be like. if I could get my hands on another 120 I'd probably let it sit at room temp and drink only a 2ish oz serving like utopias and just recap the bottle.

I'm willing to give it another shot but Ill go about drinking it in an entirely different fashion.

i love the utiopias as well and my first try of the 120 was while back and couldnt finish it. it was also before i had sampled as many varietys of big beers as i have now this makes sense! small dose drank as an after dinner liquor type thing bloody brilliant

If the "cap" on IBU is around 100 then I assume it may be impossible for them to get enough bitterness into the 120 to balance out how much sugar has to go in to get it to 20%.

I also agree though, I found the beer near undrinkable when we got one for a friends bachelor party.

So how's the 120min compare to Dogfish's Olde School Barley Wine? That I kinda like. Not one of my top choices but decent once in a while beer. Favorite barley wine is still Mad Anthony's, a local brewery. It's around average wine ABV. But it's hopped and dry hopped to an extent that keeps that malty bite in check.

I'd like to brew my own barley wine but I don't think I could shell out the cash for the hops to make one I'd like. hehe

I've had 120 twice through a Randall, and once from a bottle.

Hated it every time. They should rename it, they're essentially tricking hopheads with that name. The hops aren't even in the forefront, even after it's piped through fresh hops in a Randall.

I have had more DFH beers that I disliked than ones I liked. The 120 is an interesting beer, and I am glad that I tried it, but I wouldn't buy it again unless it was on clearance somewhere for cheap. Most of their beers seem underattenuated and overpriced to me.

I really like their Festina Peche, Midas Touch and Theobroma. Most of the others I've had I don't care for.

I have had more DFH beers that I disliked than ones I liked. The 120 is an interesting beer, and I am glad that I tried it, but I wouldn't buy it again unless it was on clearance somewhere for cheap. Most of their beers seem underattenuated and overpriced to me.

I really like their Festina Peche, Midas Touch and Theobroma. Most of the others I've had I don't care for.

Hated Peche. Hated Aprihop but I hear they changed the formula. Hated Port too.

Loved: 60, 90, Raison d'Etre/Extra, Immort Ale, punkin, Santo Palo (aged at least a year), Theobroma, Midas Touch...

I agree that a new Dogfish is a risk but it's one worth taking, IMO.

120 minute are really good at around 5 years old. I have had them fresh and not liked them, but well aged they are one of the best beers I've had.

Hated Peche. Hated Aprihop but I hear they changed the formula. Hated Port too.

Loved: 60, 90, Raison d'Etre/Extra, Immort Ale, punkin, Santo Palo (aged at least a year), Theobroma, Midas Touch...

I agree that a new Dogfish is a risk but it's one worth taking, IMO.

I loved Peche. but I really like a sour tart kick in the mouth once in a while. looking forward to seeing it on tap again soon for the summer months. not sure if I tried the Aprihop.

Im a DFH fan. I think they embody true creativity. And yes the 120 is definitely overrated but it definitely needs to age and mellow to be a good beer to drink. Most of their beers are expensive but my faves are the 60, 90, punkin, palo santo (1 year aged is amazing), indian brown ale, chicory stout, red and white. The black and blue is too sweet and the midas touch is as well. Theobroma was interesting and fairly tasty. Sah'tea was good. Some of the concoctions they create are interesting to say the least. I find it to be worth the money if you can go in on half of a bottle with someone.

Im a DFH fan. I think they embody true creativity. And yes the 120 is definitely overrated but it definitely needs to age and mellow to be a good beer to drink. Most of their beers are expensive but my faves are the 60, 90, punkin, palo santo (1 year aged is amazing), indian brown ale, chicory stout, red and white. The black and blue is too sweet and the midas touch is as well. Theobroma was interesting and fairly tasty. Sah'tea was good. Some of the concoctions they create are interesting to say the least. I find it to be worth the money if you can go in on half of a bottle with someone.
I agree, I enjoy trying the different ones. And tbh even the 120 smell was awesome, the taste just wasnt what I was expecting.

Back