Disappointed in Dogfish Head 120

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So, I just bought one today, after waiting for months for a distributor to get some to the local stores and quite frankly I am really disappointed. There isnt any bitterness and the sweetness is just cloying :(

I freaking LOVE the 90 minute IPA (though I do prefer Pliny's balance) so talk about a letdown, and a $8 one at that.

The thing with 120 is that, I don't care what they call it, it is a barleywine and not an IPA of any kind.

Note my favorite, though I appreciate that it is an achievement to brew it. I had it on draught recently and preferred it to the bottles I have had. I assume this is a freshness thing.

yeah, I think if I had been expecting barleywine I might have liked it, I was just thinking crazy heavy ipa. Theres a ton of hops for sure, but its all hop flavor, no where near enough bitterness to balance the malty.

Buy them all. There was a line out the door by me at $11 a bottle.

Hmm I wonder if we will be getting more in. What year was it bottled? I've had one 1 yr old and hop presence was barely noticeable. The 2 yr bottle lost everything. I'd love to try one fresh.

seems the new shipments are just now coming to us midwest folk. They literally just got it in yesterday...

So, I just bought one today, after waiting for months for a distributor to get some to the local stores and quite frankly I am really disappointed. There isnt any bitterness and the sweetness is just cloying :(

Yep. That's Dogfish 120; it's not a very good beer, and is sweet as all get-out.

If you lay one down for a year it'll improve substantially, but it still won't be what you're looking for.

Their best is the 75, which they sell at the brew pubs--it's literally just a mix of 60 and 90, which you can do at home if you buy 'em both.

60 is wonderful. 90 is amazing.

120 is one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Yes, I've had it fresh and I've had it aged.

Stupid, stupid beer.

I have to agree...the 120 was a HUGE letdown for me. After hearing people talk about it on this forum I was very excited to get it, but not after tasting.

I love 120. It's my favorite.

Then again, I also love cheesecake for breakfast. :eek:
+1, on the 120 not the cheesecake for breakfast. I also like WWS. I also wish Transatlantique would be brewed by NB again. Sure it had a slight taste of Sucrets, but I ate those like candy when I was young and enjoyed it. Guess I will have to drink the closest thing to that - Maxx Kriek.

Yep. That's Dogfish 120; it's not a very good beer, and is sweet as all get-out.

If you lay one down for a year it'll improve substantially, but it still won't be what you're looking for.

Their best is the 75, which they sell at the brew pubs--it's literally just a mix of 60 and 90, which you can do at home if you buy 'em both.

I found all the DFHs at a local supermarket and tried one of each. 60 was great, 90 could have used more bitterness and the 120 was just god awful. It was like drinking a 12oz bottle of mapel syrup..

I LOVE the 60. For a regular IPA it is tough to beat it.

Had the 90 and was very excited to try it. It was way too syrupy sweet. Terrible. :mad: After that I probably won't bother with the 120 and just spend my money on the 60.

I had the opportunity to try their 75 minute IPA during their "simul-cask" event at Monk's Cafe last March and loved it; wish they would make it a regular release. I am with you on the 120, it's too much and too expensive.

I loved the 60 minute, enjoyed the 90 min. Gave most of the pint of 120 to a buddy. Definitely not worth it for how unbalanced it tastes.

I have to say I agree with the majority of the comments here that 120 is not that great in my eyes when it's fresh but I have yet to try a properly aged 120 that has been given 2-3 years and I know for a fact that the beer would get substantially better.

I agree. Most Imperial IPAs are a joke. 140 IBUs!!!! Yeah!!!! None are bitter and all are retarded sweet. If that is your style, cool, but it's a damn waste of hops if you ask me.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed in the 120 but definitely surprised. I was impressed that they could make such a beer and disturbed that it was so sweet at the same time. The gf liked it and that usually means I'm not going to. IIPA's though can be very awesome if they are made right. A healthy dose of bittering to balance out the malt and then follow that up with tons of flavor and aroma for good measure.

I'm a really big DFH fan, but also can't stand the 120. It's a waste of money IMO. I agree with those who said if it was called a barleywine I may have a different opinion, but even then I didn't really like it. I also didn't like Utopia for the same reason. It's basically just syrup with alcohol.

the only DFH beer I have had to date that I thought was worth the glass was the Santo Marron one. Damned tastey.

The rest all tasted like first try experimentals. Too cloying. No balance.

I have their IPA and Raison now and have hopes for them.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed in the 120 but definitely surprised. I was impressed that they could make such a beer and disturbed that it was so sweet at the same time. The gf liked it and that usually means I'm not going to. IIPA's though can be very awesome if they are made right. A healthy dose of bittering to balance out the malt and then follow that up with tons of flavor and aroma for good measure.

because the beers flavor improved greatly after a single year. With a beer this large it could benefit from more time without a doubt.

I enjoy most of DFH's beer. 60 minute IPA is excellent. 90 is good, but definitely not your standard IIPA. The Indian Brown Ale is also very tasty. But at the same time, when I go to the beer/wine store, they usually aren't my first choice.

I think I'm more of a fan of what Sam has done for craft beer than I am of his beer itself.

the only DFH beer I have had to date that I thought was worth the glass was the Santo Marron one. Damned tastey.

DFH tends to be a bit too off-the-wall for me, however much I respect Sam for trying something different. There's really only a few of their beers that I really like, the 60/90 minute IPAs, and I was a big fan of the Raison d'Etre as well.

Never had the 120, but I look forward to it. Not because I'm expecting great things out of it, but just because it's one of those 'legendary' brews that I feel I must try. It comes with such a reputation, and it is really an accomplishment to successfully brew something like that.

If it wasn't 9 dollars a bottle I would of poured the rest of the bottle but made myself suffer through it. It was one of the most sweet beers I have ever had. After seeing the things about trying it aged I'm going to hit the store this weekend and see if any are still sitting from past years. I've been lucky in the past where I've ran across 3 and 4 year old Barley Wines and Imperial Stouts.

I still think the 60 is the best, but I'm going to seriously try blending it with a 90 too. Problem is I know for a fact I have to go up to Boca to find a fresh bottle of 60, the ones at the Publix here have been dusty since last year.....

I find most craft brews a let down to such an extent that I rarely try a new one any more. There was a time when I got so hyped up on reading about people's favourites on this forum that I couldn't wait to try them. When I did, I found that most of the "Popular" ones were too much of everything.

Obviously, as a session beer drinker, these bottles of beer syrup are not for me, I'll just bide my time until the obsession with adding three times as much of any given ingredient that is needed has died down a little, and the chances of picking up a well balanced beer have improved. ;)

I enjoy most of DFH's beer. 60 minute IPA is excellent. 90 is good, but definitely not your standard IIPA. The Indian Brown Ale is also very tasty. But at the same time, when I go to the beer/wine store, they usually aren't my first choice.

I think I'm more of a fan of what Sam has done for craft beer than I am of his beer itself.

I love me some Indian Brown Ale...

I actually just tried the santo marron as well and really liked it. Not a huge fan of the Raison D'Etra, but really like the 90 (though I admit its just a tad too sweet).

Now THAT sounds delicious cause I agree the 90 is a tad too sweet. 75 sounds about perfect. Bottle it DFH! :mug:

I really dug their 90 minute. I still can't bring myself to pay what I believe may actually be $8 for a bottle. $5 is my cut off for 12oz.

yeah, I have heard that, seems with that much malt, you aren't going to get much hot taste. I am sure it is an ager too which doesn't go well with a hoppy beer.

My thoughts on 120 and DFH...

I think most people buy it an expect a super hoppy monster - as they should; it's labeled as an IPA with a ton of hops. The problem is, it is not an "IPA" and it's not super hoppy. When I had my first bottle I was a bit disappointed, but after letting it warm up to near room temps it really brought out the flavor of the malt and a delicious floral/herbal hop aroma and flavor became evident. Very smooth, very malty ('syrupy' as others have said), very unique. This beer wasn't made to be balanced or to punch you in the face with hops; there are hundreds of good examples of both out there. Rather, I think it's more of a 'beer liquor.' It really is just as much about the hops as the malt. Grab a bottle, age it for a year or two, pour it into a snifter, and make sure it's cool/warm.

Oh, and their 'Heaven and Hell' is awesome. 120 layered on top of WWS. Balla!

The 60 minute is awesome, the 90 minute is awesome (letting it warm really brings out the hops, much like the 120). I've never tried the 75, that is definitely next on my list.

Sure, a lot of their beers are "extreme," but how many micro breweries are out there that make just another IPA or pale ale or brown ale or stout or IIPA, etc. etc. etc.? There are awesome breweries out there, of course, but most of it is only good and/or so similar to dozens of others it's forgettable. That's what I like about DFH; they make an awesome IPA and everything else is unique and different. I don't enjoy all their offerings but I can appreciate the difference and enjoy it for what it is.

Well, that's it for now. This wasn't in reply to any specific comments, just my opinion of the 120 and DFH! But seriously, let your 90/120 warm up a bit!

I poured out their World Wide Stout. It hurt me and I tried, man did I try to like it. I got through about 6 ounces of it (poured into a wine glass) and had to dump the remaining 6 that was left in the bottle. I made sure to feel out the beer and pick up on everything before I did pour it out but my final judgement is that it's all together just nasty.

DFH is still my favorite brewery...guess I'm a homer.

This beer wasn't made to be balanced or to punch you in the face with hops; there are hundreds of good examples of both out there. Rather, I think it's more of a 'beer liquor.' It really is just as much about the hops as the malt. Grab a bottle, age it for a year or two, pour it into a snifter, and make sure it's cool/warm.

Been there, done that. It's better, but still cloyingly sweet.

Their Immort Ale, on the other hand, is fantastic when drunk in this manner after a couple of years aging.

Back