direct-connect keg sampling tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm looking for a better solution for drawing foam-free samples from a keg. I ferment in kegs and often have several on deck at room temperature in my basement at 55-65 degrees. Pressure can be anywhere from 10-30 psi depending on how I managed the spunding. Right now I have a picnic tap with a section of tubing which sort of works, but pours a lot of foam, and I don't have a good way of dumping and cleaning the line after I use it and switch to a different keg. I've seen some direct-connect couplers to put a stainless faucet directly on the disconnect flare - how do these work? Is there enough internal flow restriction to balance the serving pressure without pouring foam, even with zero line length? Looking for something that is easy to swap and clean too. I don't care about forward-sealing faucet because I'll be cleaning it between uses.

Is there enough internal flow restriction to balance the serving pressure without pouring foam, even with zero line length?
At serving temperature (say up to 10°C) they certainly work very well but I fear that at ambient temp the pour might still be quite foamy.
To clean after every sample you can just open everything, including the restrictor, as far as it goes and run warm tap water in counterflow. You should still disassemble and clean thoroughly at regular intervals or they can still get quite nasty inside.

Back