DIPA - Add more sugar or leave it alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
Brewed a DIPA this morning. Missed my target OG by a wide margin. It was supposed to be 1.070, I hit 1.060. Haven't figured out why...but I'll do that later. In the meantime, I have a question.

If it were your beer, would you leave it alone and drink a 6.6% ABV double IPA? Or would you add another lb of table sugar to the soon-to-be-fermenting wort? (that would make it 2 lb of sugar, total. 10% of total fermentables). Just curious.

Original grain bill:
14 lb 2-Row
1 lb White Wheat
.5 lb C-40
.5 lb Cara-pils
.35 lb Acidulated
1 lb table sugar

114.5 IBU

You could always forego the majority of the dry hops and do a single IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Certainly suppose that's a possibility. A 114 IBU IPA is a little on the high end of the scale, haha. But I'm usually outside of style guidelines anyway.

I am literally doing this right now on a Citra/Columbus/Summit IIPA. I added sugar at high krausen to make up the gravity, took it to 14% of fermentables. I'll try to report back in a couple weeks when it's done. Last taste was right on at one week and fully attenuated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll try to report back in a couple weeks when it's done. Last taste was right on at one week and fully attenuated.

Nice. Yeah, I haven't decided what to do yet. It's almost at high krausen...probably by tomorrow.

Hit high krausen today, blow off tube is full of gunk. I think I might add the sugar tomorrow. Can't hurt!

Back