Ding Ding! Stupid question time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've made doggie treats from spent grain for my girlfriend's puppy and since most (or all?) dogs can't handle chocolate, I'd like to prove there is no chocolate in the chocolate malt to ease her mind. It's simply barley that's been kilned for a longer period of time, right? I'm 99.999% sure but I wasn't able to find an article online saying so.

For those who care, it was 1.5 lbs chocolate malt, .50 lbs crystal 40L and .25 lbs flaked oats for steeping. I took two cups of the spent grain, two cups of flour, 1/3 cup peanut butter and one eggs and then mixed it all together and baked.

I ate some, not bad.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

There's no chocolate in chocolate malt. The name refers to the flavor of the roasted grains, not to the treat from the soda shop.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Chocolate malt

Chocolate malt is similar to pale and amber malts but kilned at even higher temperatures. Producing complex undertones of vanilla and caramel (but not chocolate), it is used in porters and sweet stouts as well as dark mild ales. It contains no enzymes. ASBC 450-500/EBC 1100-1300.

Could have done without that part.

Wikipedia is not your friend?

The guy posts a query titled "Stupid Question Time" and I point out that he could have an answer in about .15 seconds rather than post it here and wait for someone to do it for him is somehow de trop?

Well I actually read that article a couple times. I wasn't sure if the "but not chocolate" part was referring to taste only. That's why I asked it here. I appreciate the response.

PS Charlie loves the treats.

Well I actually read that article a couple times. I wasn't sure if the "but not chocolate" part was referring to taste only. That's why I asked it here. I appreciate the response.

PS Charlie loves the treats.

Yeah, it was referring to taste only but I do taste some chocolaty flavors in chocolate malt, maybe that's just me.

This could be a good chance for your pal to taste chocolate without the YAAAA! I'm not supposed to have chocolate!!! (Nod to "Mutts" comic strip)

My dog ate chocolate every Christmas and Easter like it was going out of style. She lived to be 16. I guess it doesn't affect all dogs.

Anyway...here's a related comic.

feeding.png

Haha classic, nice. Yea I figure each dog can be different but I'm not the guy who's gonna use my girlfriends dog to test any theories.

What really matters as far as chocolate and sogs is concerned is the cacao content. Most consumer (Hersheys type) chocolate is low enough in cacao content that it would take a whole bunch to get a dog sick. Bakers chocolate, or some of the really high percentage candy bars are another story.

Chocolate increases a dogs metabolism; too much can essentially blow it out (ie - death).

A little chocolate now and then? No problem, though the size of the dog is hugely important.

The short of it - a little chocolate for a dog every now and then is fine, though young dogs and puppies should be much more careful

@Metasyntactic - really easy!

I found the recipe at this URL.

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/388/what-can-i-do-with-my-spent-grain-after-mashing

I'll repost the recipe here.

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter (or oil or pizza sauce)
1 egg

Mix together thoroughly (get your hands in there!), place onto lined baking tray in whatever shapes you like and bake for 30 mins at 350F/180C then reduce heat to around 225F/110C and leave in oven until completely dried out.

Charlie likes them a lot and so does Bubba!

@Metasyntactic - really easy!

I found the recipe at this URL.

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/388/what-can-i-do-with-my-spent-grain-after-mashing

I'll repost the recipe here.

Charlie likes them a lot and so does Bubba!

i make these treats all the time for my 2 dogs. they love their "doggy brews". i use a large pizza pan, then after 30 minutes, instead of a cookie cutter, i use a pizza cutter to cut them into little squares. just made another batch 2 or 3 days ago

Back