Sweet Stout Chocolate Peanut Butter Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1450 Denny's Favorite
Yeast Starter
1.6L Starter, chilled and decanted
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 64*F, ramping up after day 4
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks @ room temp on 2lbs de oiled peanut butter
Additional Fermentation
No
Tasting Notes
Reese's cup, nutter butter cookie, smooth and delicious. This really reminds me of a reese's pb cup. The chocolate was slightly masked by the peanut butter but it's still detectable.
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.0 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.0 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 50 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.3 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 75%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.81 lbs Maris Otter 61.0%
1.07 lbs Crystal 60 7.0%
1.11 lbs Chocolate Malt 6.0%
0.62 lbs Roasted Barley 3.0%
0.81 lbs Flaked Barley 5.0%
0.98 lbs Flaked Oats 7.0%
0.62 lbs Midnight Wheat 3.0%

Total Grain Weight: 14.04 lbs
Mash @ 154*F for 60 minutes
Fly Sparge with 4.5 gal of 168*F water

Boil Schedule
---------------
0.35 oz Magnum - Boil 60 min
0.40 oz Ghiradelli Cocoa Powder - Boil 15 min
1.00 oz EKG - Boil 10 min
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) - Boil 10 min
1.0 lb PB2 Powder - Boil 5 min

Primary Fermentation
14 days total, start at 64*F for 4 days, start ramping up 1*F per day until 70*F

Secondary Fermentation
4 weeks total on 2 lbs of natural peanut butter, de oiled for 10 days prior to use

This beer came out delicious and was a hit with a lot of people. The most common descriptors were nutter butter cookie and reese's pb cup. I was a bit worried about this during secondary as it just wasn't my favorite while it was sitting on the PB. It was bitter, wasn't really smooth at all. Looking back, I think it was still just too young and needed some time. Once this was in the keg and carbonated, absolutely fantastic. By far my favorite PB stout I've ever had.

There are some things I would change...
1. I would go cacao nibs instead of cocoa powder
2. I would de oil PB for 15 days
3. I might add 1 jar of PB2 in secondary in addition to the 2 lbs of real PB

One other note to add. Head retention was affected by the oil in the PB. It pours with a nice dark head but it fades quickly. It's ok for me as it still is delicious, but it is definitely something worth pointing out in my opinion.

20181104_144235.jpg

How do u deoil peanut butter? And how did you add it to the secondary? What exactly is fermentable inPB? I can see the powder in the boil for flavor

How do u deoil peanut butter? And how did you add it to the secondary? What exactly is fermentable inPB? I can see the powder in the boil for flavor
Take some kind of large dish, like a pyrex dish, and line it with paper towels. Spread the peanut butter out evenly over the paper towels. Let it sit for a couple of days and then flip it onto some new paper towels. Repeat every 2-3 days over the course of like 10 to 15 days. (Keep the dish covered during this time of course).

I just added it to the bottom of my secondary fermenter before transferring the beer into it. Because the PB was de-oiled, it came out in like a sheet of PB. See pictures...

There's nothing fermentable in the natural peanut butter. It is simply for flavor. I don't believe there's anything fermentable in PB2 either. These are really to just give the PB flavor.
20181004_194256.jpeg
20181004_194459.jpeg

Did it dissolve into the beer somehow or does the flavor just leach into the beer and the PB is discarded when kegged?

Did you do any sanitizing of the peanut butter? Seems like you could risk infection by going through that de-oiling process and just tossing it in.

Did you do any sanitizing of the peanut butter? Seems like you could risk infection by going through that de-oiling process and just tossing it in.
No i did not. I had posted a thread asking about how to sanitize the pb and due to how high the ph of pb is, you can't use star san. I know of a few other ppl who have used natural pb, didn't sanitize it and were fine also. Yes you take a chance this way...

As an alternative to that de oiling process, you could leave it in the jar and dump the oil that separates to the top every couple of days also.

I wonder if just skipping the PB and upping the PB powder would be about the same flavor ? And easier

I wonder if just skipping the PB and upping the PB powder would be about the same flavor ? And easier
You might be able to. I have that in my notes for next time that i want to use the same amount of pb but all in pb2 and see how it comes out for comparison sake

You might be able to. I have that in my notes for next time that i want to use the same amount of pb but all in pb2 and see how it comes out for comparison sake
You think PB2 in boil thus present during fermentation, actually added flavor? Or was it all secondary that added flavor?

Definitely want to try this recipe. I may just do all PB2 though. Thanks for sharing. I have been wondering how to get a lot of peanut butter flavor in a stout.

I've only used PB powder, one time, adding it to secondary and got an interesting sour beer. No proof that the PB powder caused the infection, might be a coincidence.
There's no reason to boil the PB powder, but adding at flameout might be a good practice, that should "sanitize" it.

Definitely want to try this recipe. I may just do all PB2 though. Thanks for sharing. I have been wondering how to get a lot of peanut butter flavor in a stout.

Yeah, let me know how you like it if you try it. I would at least go 3 lbs. I did 2 lbs in secondary and like I said, I would probably increase to 3 next time.

I've only used PB powder, one time, adding it to secondary and got an interesting sour beer. No proof that the PB powder caused the infection, might be a coincidence.
There's no reason to boil the PB powder, but adding at flameout might be a good practice, that should "sanitize" it.

Agreed. That's the only reason I added the 1 jar during the boil. Again, probably wouldn't do that in the future. Not sure. I may leave it there while adding 1 jar of PB2 to secondary with the natural PB for the next one and then just to see if I can notice a difference, pull out the 1 jar during the boil and see what happens.

Agreed. That's the only reason I added the 1 jar during the boil. Again, probably wouldn't do that in the future. Not sure. I may leave it there while adding 1 jar of PB2 to secondary with the natural PB for the next one and then just to see if I can notice a difference, pull out the 1 jar during the boil and see what happens.
Interesting. I've only done PB2. Added to secondary/mixed just before bottling. Lesson learned..make sure its fresh. Got a free can from LHBS that was 2yrs old. Had to run to store for another since there was hardly any flavor. 2 cans of this in a 5gal batch gunked up for sure. I've not detected any infection from using it tho.

As a suggestion, if using PB2, I'd mix with 165F water first then add. To both mix better and disinfect. One would have to plan a beer to be watered down tho. Make it higher abv and thicker at first.

I used 450g of pb2 in secondary and was so disappointed. The flavour was so mild it was almost like an off flavour

Got a milkstout fermenting now. Will start the PB de-oiling process tonight. I'm dividing the 5.5gal in half so think 2lbs should be good. Right?

Not to hijack your thread, but I made a very successful pb choco milk porter and didn't have to bother with powder or oil in pb:
10lb - maris otter
8oz - chocolate malt
8oz - carafa iii
8oz - crystal 120
8oz - carapils

2oz - ekg (60mins)
1lb - lactose (10mins)
8oz - unsweeten cocoa power (10mins)

S-04 yeast
4oz cocao nibs in secondary (could do primary after fermentation)
4oz brewers best peanut butter extract (bottling/kegging)

After a couple week in keg all the flavors mesh really well together with a nice creamy head

Not to hijack your thread, but I made a very successful pb choco milk porter and didn't have to bother with powder or oil in pb:
10lb - maris otter
8oz - chocolate malt
8oz - carafa iii
8oz - crystal 120
8oz - carapils

2oz - ekg (60mins)
1lb - lactose (10mins)
8oz - unsweeten cocoa power (10mins)

S-04 yeast
4oz cocao nibs in secondary (could do primary after fermentation)
4oz brewers best peanut butter extract (bottling/kegging)

After a couple week in keg all the flavors mesh really well together with a nice creamy head

That's awesome! Glad that came out good for you. I bought an extract, not the brewers best extract but another highly recommended extract on HBT, and it was nasty. Very chemically, fake tasting. I gave up on extracts after that, at least choc/pb extracts.

I've compared a couple of commercial examples of choc/pb stouts to mine and I could very well be biased, but the 2 commercial examples I compared to mine tasted very fake. Using pb this way, I feel it gave it a very natural, creamy pb taste. Not saying you can't make a good pb stout with extract, I just preferred this method.

That's awesome! Glad that came out good for you. I bought an extract, not the brewers best extract but another highly recommended extract on HBT, and it was nasty. Very chemically, fake tasting. I gave up on extracts after that, at least choc/pb extracts.

I've compared a couple of commercial examples of choc/pb stouts to mine and I could very well be biased, but the 2 commercial examples I compared to mine tasted very fake. Using pb this way, I feel it gave it a very natural, creamy pb taste. Not saying you can't make a good pb stout with extract, I just preferred this method.
Hey I am with you. I want all my ingredients to be true, including all my spices, fruit and even pumpkin. Peanut butter simply just has too much fat/oil in it though and flavor transfer isnt alway the best. I sugget you give brewers best a shot. Like I said after about 2 weeks in keg everything came together. Maybe its the 3 additions of chocolate flavor that does it

Hey I am with you. I want all my ingredients to be true, including all my spices, fruit and even pumpkin. Peanut butter simply just has too much fat/oil in it though and flavor transfer isnt alway the best. I sugget you give brewers best a shot. Like I said after about 2 weeks in keg everything came together. Maybe its the 3 additions of chocolate flavor that does it

I'll give that a shot. My LHBS carries it so I'll check it out and see how it goes! I definitely want to try this again with cocoa nibs. That's the one thing I thought could be better was the chocolate flavor. I toasted cocoa nibs and used them in my last imperial stout and that was some intense chocolate. I'd probably go that route next time with this one.

BB makes the best extracts imho so don't know why PB wouldn't be different. Thanks for sharing the info!

I'll give that a shot. My LHBS carries it so I'll check it out and see how it goes! I definitely want to try this again with cocoa nibs. That's the one thing I thought could be better was the chocolate flavor. I toasted cocoa nibs and used them in my last imperial stout and that was some intense chocolate. I'd probably go that route next time with this one.
I really prefer carafa special iii over chocolate malt. Give mores actual chocolate flavor than roasty flavors. I also really like unsweetened cocoa powder in the boil, when the beer is xfered to the primary it's like a thick chocolate milk. My favourite park is the malt, powder and nibs are all pure cocao and don't bring sweeteness just flavor. Makes room for the lactose to be the sweetener

To report back, did a Brewers Best Peanut Butter Milk Stout. Used all 4oz in a 2.5gal keg. Totally get the PB both nose and flavor but real PB, imho, is superior. No seconday tho so easy peasy. Dealers choice on this one.

To report back, did a Brewers Best Peanut Butter Milk Stout. Used all 4oz in a 2.5gal keg. Totally get the PB both nose and flavor but real PB, imho, is superior. No seconday tho so easy peasy. Dealers choice on this one.
4oz in a 2.5 gal seems like too much. I use that in my 5 gal. Give it a week or two to settle in, it melds into the flavors a lot more

Thanks for reporting back on that! Glad to know that it's an option that I can use in the future if I don't feel like dealing with real PB.

Back