The BEST choco-chip espresso cookies ever! (Spent grains)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently baked some spectacular spent grain cookies. I still have 3 gallon bags worth of grain in the freezer from that brew day and I've made about 100 large cookies. This grain goes a long ways!

If you're interested in a phenomenal cookie (that is also fibrous, so don't eat too many at one time), here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs, well beaten
  • 3 tsp vanilla (the good vanilla from Mexico if your local store has it; so much better)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 cups flour (or add a bit more if you want more of a cake texture)
  • 2 cups spent grains*
  • 1 bag (about 2 cups) of espresso chips
  • 1 bag (about 2 cups) of milk chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp good salt**
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking soda
Notes:
* I do not dry my grains. Drain spent grains into large bowl until cool and put in freezer bags to freeze. Pour the remaining liquid into a glass and drink! It's the healthiest "southern sweet tea" you've ever had! When ready to bake, open the freezer bag and as is, thaw that for about 2-3 minutes in microwave until you can break off a 2 cup chunk off the frozen block. Crumble into your mixing bowl, even if some of it still has some ice shards.
** Okay, you can add salt to the recipe OR you can make the cookies better by not adding salt in the recipe. Get a box of Maldon Sea Salt Flakes. Sprinkle (or grind between fore-finger & thumb as you sprinkle) over the tops of the cookies half way through baking.

Instructions:
Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine.
Use an ice cream scoop to create a proper sized cookie.
Bake for 14 minutes @ 350F

Tips:
Use parchment paper for cookie sheet liner.
DO NOT let cookies sit on hot cookie sheet, whether you use paper sheet liner or not!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back