Digital Thermometer w/ Alarm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I seem to go through Taylor thermometers from Target at a rate of one every month or two, I've had both the probe and the base unit fail. Sometimes the base gets wet sometimes it just dies. I'd like to get something more robust with a probe that I can put in the brew kettle. I use a few different pots for heating water (one for mash/sparge water, one for mash out and a different one for decoction boils) so I don't want a permanently installed probe, just one I can dangle in the water over the sides. An alarm would be neccessary as well. Any suggestions? Considering I have spend about $60 this year in replacing thermometers, plus the waste I am creating I don't mind spending a bit for something that will really hold up. I already have a thermapen but I need something I can set up and forget instead of hovering over my oven.

I know Weber makes one for grilling that meets your criteria. I am not sure what the temp range is off hand. It is also a wireless unit, so you can leave the probe and sender and hook the digital readout with alarm on your belt or set on counter. It does have a limited range, but I I have no problem being anywhere in the house on the rare occasion I use mine.

They end up getting wet or dropped too many times. I don't have a lot of counter space so it just goes with the territory

Yeah, that happens. Try that U729. I just added it to my wishlist (even though I ordered some stuff from JBPrince yesterday).
Would love to hear how it works out.
Sarah.

Back