Auber RTD probes off by 15-20 degrees F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdudek

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of RTD probes from Auber. One is perhaps 3 years old, other relatively new (a few months). They both agree with each other but are off by up to 20 degrees from where they should be. Sometimes. Sometimes they are dead on. and then they just jump around. During the last boil the reading was 230 degrees F. Makes it difficult to mash :)

I am running a cleaning cycle now. water warmed up to 130, and everyone agreed. Now it's been running for a while, the dial thermometer is down to 120, meanwhile the RTD probes report 135-140.

I use a DSP120 controller. Since both probes agree i wonder if there is something wrong with the controller?

The control box is pretty crammed, is it possible there some interference with the probe wires inside that mess up the current readings? inductive effect of some kind?

i pinged auber about it as well, waiting on a response. Curious if anyone has had similar issues.

Have you checked the integrity of the probe wires and connections in the control panel - loose wires, questionable solder joints, inadequately torqued screw terminals etc.? Since both probes agree, the problem is likely to be somewhere else.

Did the temp offset parameter in the EZBoil get changed somehow?

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
I am experiencing this as well. I calibrated everything Friday night and then Saturday morning some probes were reading 50 degrees off. unplugged and re-plugged a few times and then it came back. I checked all my connections, the only thing I was considering was to at a add an electronic grease at the quick disconnects to see if that helps. What is best practice to test the connection to see if there is a bad joint, more than just connectivity?

Got an answer from Auber. Posting here for reference. I have not gotten to fix/test yet. Will update once I do.

///

Thanks for contacting us. The controller reads the resistance from the RTD sensor and converts the resistance reading to temperature reading. The reading error could come from anywhere along the sensor wires or connectors if the contact resistance is high. What if you wiggle the sensor cable close to the sensor or close to the controller? Does the reading jump around?

Another possibility is inside the DSPR120, between the circuit board and the spring contacts on the plastic shell. Here is a guide on how to pull out the core of the EZboil controller. You can try to pull the spring contacts a little bit outwards, or use a scotch-brite to clean the contact area of the pin 3, 4, and 5 of the circuit board.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12x-lnTTxQOyXICvIfEwsxUuUdmgOKFIQ/view?usp=sharing

I spoke to Auber as well, they recommend I replace my probe cables. I did purchase their new silicone braided cable to replace my DIY ones from about 5 years ago. Did a quick test and it seemed to resolve the issue I was seeing, redoing my cable manaagemnt now and hope to get a proper test in this weekend to see it that resolves it for me.

I've been having a similar issue with my Inkbirds and one thing I have noticed is that if there is a poor connection at the sensor probe it sometimes resolves. I have little black caps on these so that when disconnected they can be covered but sometimes I forget to put the cap on when doing so. I think perhaps that water drying in that area and leaving deposits may throw off the reading.

Back