Digging rhizomes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaptainKarl

Reaction score
We moved this summer, and now that plants are going dormant, we went back to dig perennials, including hops.

I decided to take the whole crown, and holy cow, what a job. The soil was loose enough and the rhizomes have just enough give that I couldn't chop them with the shovel. They would compress rather than shear off.

Two years in their little yard, and I couldn't sink the shovel in. Cascade, Mt Hood, Brewers Gold and Nugget. We'll keep them in the garage over winter. I hope they grow so well at the new place.

Yeah...I've dug up many a root crown in my day. Not easy. Sharpen your shovel and get out the pruning shears. Wait until you dig up a 7yr Brewers Gold. Yikes! Or just leave them as a housewarming gift for the next guy...

Store them in your garage in a bucket/pot/grain-sack filled with soil over the winter and they should be fine next spring. Pour 1-2qt water on them once a month (or so) so the soil stays just slightly moist.

Back