Just ordered my Rhizomes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkboiler

Reaction score
Just ordered comet, centennial, Chinook, mt hood, Sterling and Golding. Going to pickup some 20 gal nursery pots and convert them to self watering. Hoping some burlap twine strung up to my eves (~10' off ground) will work for them to grow on. There's space for the pots on my side yard that gets direct sun all day long!

Had planted some years ago in half barrels that didn't take...need to read a book first this time ...

Excited to grow some hops!

Bear in mind that they like lots of water, and don't like to get too hot - commercial growers in hot climates even have misting systems. Remember that they are plants of temperate climates - they benefit from a bit of frost, and need a good variation in day length to flower properly.

I was thinking about setting up a water harvesting barrel fed by my rain gutter as it may be better than trying to gauge the self watering planter's fullness...
I know cascade grows well here although I did not buy that variety...

word of advice....the tap root on hops grows quite a bit, often reaching 14' to 16'+ feet in length and they have a very sprawling network of roots. They love water. Lots of water! They don't like to sit in it though, that promotes root rot. You making them into potted plants is going to put a lot of care on you. The heat being mentioned above is another concern. Ground temp is quite a bit different than a fifty gallon pot, and will fluctuate more rapidly and to greater extent. It will be difficult for you to control it. Not impossible. Is it just not an option for you to plant them regular like?

I can't speak for bkboiler, but I plan on doing something similar, maybe using a teepee style trellis. For me, I have several 100+ foot tall oak trees that stipple my backyard. There are patches that get frequent sun, and then as the season goes on it shifts. To consider growing, I have to be able to move the plant and trellis at some point potentially. I'm doing a sun survey this week...if I can find a steady spot that won't bake in the summer sun, I plan to do it on the ground in a raised bed.

Got em on buyhoprhizomes.com.

Supposed to ship in late March, so any day now...

Need to go get my pots and soil ready.

I agree with the concerns you've all raised. Will have to give it a go as it's just mostly for fun as I can more cheaply and easily just buy hops anyway.

Bear in mind that they like lots of water, and don't like to get too hot - commercial growers in hot climates even have misting systems. Remember that they are plants of temperate climates - they benefit from a bit of frost, and need a good variation in day length to flower properly.

Could you expound on this? Should I be considering a misting system like many people have on their porches?

upload_2020-3-24_18-11-1.jpeg

For supply water you could get a timer that goes on the hose bib. Then you could run a line over to the pots and use emitters for each pot. They make wifi enabled timers that are not really expensive at all.

I irrigate my garden this way but use drip lines instead of emitters. My timer is not wifi though.

For supply water you could get a timer that goes on the hose bib. Then you could run a line over to the pots and use emitters for each pot. They make wifi enabled timers that are not really expensive at all.

I irrigate my garden this way but use drip lines instead of emitters. My timer is not wifi though.

You make a good point about using wifi.

I was planning on using my controller on my drip irrigation system and run emitters or use spray stakes. Then I read about using misters...in junction? I'm not sure how using misters would work and how the accumulated water droplets might cause magnification of the sun and possibly burn the plants....Perhaps only mist at dusk and dawn rather than in the middle of the day?

If needed, I could easily buy a wifi controller/timer for use with a hose-bib. My wifi net would reach my area have where I'm planning to setup.

Fraid I've no experience of misters, I've only read about Australian growers using them to keep the temperature down as "low" as ?? 100°F ??, certainly it was something like as extreme as that. Given that's still higher than the all-time UK record, it's not something I've felt the need to investigate further. Probably see how you go without, but think about it if the plants get stressed, presumably neomexes will be rather tougher in that regard.

Fraid I've no experience of misters, I've only read about Australian growers using them to keep the temperature down as "low" as ?? 100°F ??, certainly it was something like as extreme as that. Given that's still higher than the all-time UK record, it's not something I've felt the need to investigate further. Probably see how you go without, but think about it if the plants get stressed, presumably neomexes will be rather tougher in that regard.

Well, once the sun sets, the temps will drop 20-30F... Since I'm going to try nine different hops, I think I might as well setup a misting system of some type for the month of June.

Water droplets that stay on the plant are not encouraged. Just saying. Molds and Mildew LOVE that and will take advantage. Best times to make sure your plants get water, at the root level, is going to be, not during peak sun hours. Dusk, dark, and dawn.
Your plants though...I just have a little experience hop growing.

Latest posts

Back