Basic hops growing advice needed. NE Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
66866010_10219658044748607_6956066162870321152_n.jpg

66625356_10219658031868285_3661981621575221248_n.jpg

67197673_10219658031508276_5972176081199824896_n.jpg

66792522_10219658031148267_5359241002034921472_n.jpg

66834739_10219658030748257_5412995936538329088_n.jpg

All 3 of my hops, Centennial, Nugget and Columbus were doing well until we had lots and lots and lots of rain. Hops were properly planted with drainage in the soil, but more rain than normal for late Spring and early Summer. All hops stopped growing. Centennial isn't looking well. Nugget and Columbus have started growing again.

Last edited:
All 3 of my hops, Centennial, Nugget and Columbus were doing well until we had lots and lots and lots of rain. Hops were properly planted with drainage in the soil, but more rain than normal for late Spring and early Summer. All hops stopped growing. Centennial isn't looking well. Nugget and Columbus as started growing again.
where did your Nugget come from. Originally , I had Nugget in place where Hallertauer is now. I got it from tractor supply , in fact I bought twice...both rhizomes were bad. First one had a couple shoots on ,after a week it quickly died , second, same thing...Not sure why, might have sat in a hot truck or warehouse too long and just stressed out.
Thats when my wife ordered me the Hallertauer (plant) for a replacement.

In the last week we've had mass amounts of rain. Good for me since I was working long hours since a week ago Friday and hadnt had time to water anyway. My hops are doing fantastic. Three of 4 hops bines have cones that are huge and plump . Crystal is super full and heavy with them . I'm talking like a 100 or so cones, Mt Hood isnt far behind,big fat springy cones. Hallertauer is a smaller cone and has quite a few, maybe 50. Tettnanger has only like 3 or 4 that I can see, its been a bit slow but steady. They all still have a lot of burrs still coming on and I'm sure theres at least another month of growing season before I think about harvesting.
I'm pleased as can be since this is my first time growing hops and their first season so from here it should only get better.

So, what am I looking for before its time to harvest...arent the cone tips supposed to be a little papery or slightly brown? When should I start heavily inspecting ,crushing/smelling, maybe taking a cone and tearing it to see the lupulin glands to see when theyre ready?

My dad came over yesterday ,I gues he was getting bored at home and hasnt been up here in a while so...I showed him my hops . He thought that its pretty neat and asked me a few questions about it. While were out there I happened to show him the lupulin glands on the Crystal in particular. I managed to crush one and smell it...its got a light lemony ,piney aroma but still quite vegetal. Its still got a few weeks to go but its doing great. Cones are plentiful and big. I'm surprised that in its first year its grown so well and producing so much .

Update. Hops are generally doing well. We had a weekend with a couple inches of rain. Most of the hops have a flush of bright green sidearms popping out from the crown. Should i prune these to keep nutrients going to the maturing cones?
Crystal has cones an inch to inch and a half long, and plump...a nice aroma when crushed, citrusy. while Mt Hood is more of an ammonia aroma , a little piney, with a tad bit of grass thats been under the mower deck a week .
Nothing yet from hallertauer (except caterpillars, see my other post)
or tettnanger .

Im confused - Hallertauer has yet to have any aroma other than vegetal , basically nothing. I've picked off a couple cones that look full and matured, dried a bit , crushed and rubbed in my hand as I have the other 3 varieties and cant get anything hoppy out of it.

Picked hops this morning. clockwise from top left - Crystal, Mt Hood, Tettnanger in the little box and Hallertauer . Not bad for the first year growing. Cant wait to brew with these and wait til next year for more. Im thinking of putting at least 2 more varieties in.
My fingers smell so good.

68682907_10219959226677967_6283305608066105344_n.jpg

After allowing them to dry overnight .I bagged and sealed this just a few minutes ago. Exactly 1 pound of hops . 0.5 oz tettnanger , 3.5 oz Hallertauer (1 bag), 4 ounces of Mt Hood (1 bag)and 8 ounces of Crystal ( 2- 4oz bags). In the freezer until I can get to the next brew.

my Tettnanger is basically done for the season. No new growth, no burrs, no more cones. My Hallertauer still has virtually no aroma whatsoever and like the Mt Hood and Crystal is still producing cones which are both smelling great . How many times and how late do you guys typically harvest? This would be my second harvest off of 1st year plants. I'm just amazed how they had a comeback. Looks like I may get at least another half pound of hops .

After a couple weeks of other hobbies getting in the way, I finally came home last night from work and picked the rest of my hops, second and last picking. Its been hot (upper 90s)dry (drought'ish)and the bines are shutting down . I didnt get to weigh it yet but I was surprised to get a healthy amount from both Crystal and Mt Hood. Mt Hood still had a few burrs .Not enough though to wait for. I got a handful of cones from Hallertauer, which finally has aroma to it. Maybe next year will be better for that.
In all , probably at least enough to make a batch or two when it ever cools off.

SS2, just curious how your hops plants are doing so far this year. I'm in southern middle Tennessee, right on the TN/AL line, so geographically pretty similar.
After following this thread last year I decided to try growing hops. Not expecting much, just more for the hobby, etc.

Latest posts

Back