Different Poppet Valves - How to remove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yehaww

Reaction score
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find an answer because I don't know how to word the question to get results. I've been using 3 gallon corny kegs. Their valves can just be unscrewed with a wrench. I recently got some 5 gallon kegs. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=392

They are still pin lock, but they are different than the 3 gallon corny. They have 2 posts on the In and 3 posts on the Out. The 3 gallon ones have no posts at all. So, do I just replace the poppet valves with the one's I have on my 3 gallon corny, or is there some sort of special wrench I need to buy to twist these off?

These are pin lock posts.
KP355_thumb.jpg

These are ball lock posts.
NEWcorneliuspostsPAIR_thumb.jpg

Methinks your 3 gallon kegs have ball lock posts, while the 5 gallon kegs are pretty clearly pin locks. So they're not going to fit your disconnects.

You can remove either type with the correct size wrench, though you can buy or make a modified deep socket wrench to make removing pin lock posts a bit easier.

The posts, by the way, almost surely use different poppet valves and won't be interchangeable.
For that matter you'd be lucky if your ball lock posts will fit the pin lock keg...

Cheers!

These are pin lock posts.
KP355_thumb.jpg

These are ball lock posts.
NEWcorneliuspostsPAIR_thumb.jpg

Methinks your 3 gallon kegs have ball lock posts, while the 5 gallon kegs are pretty clearly pin locks. So they're not going to fit your disconnects.

You can remove either type with the correct size wrench, though you can buy or make a modified deep socket wrench to make removing pin lock posts a bit easier.

The posts, by the way, almost surely use different poppet valves and won't be interchangeable.
For that matter you'd be lucky if your ball lock posts will fit the pin lock keg...

Cheers!

Ok thanks. I guess that makes sense. I totally spaced on that when I ordered them. They were cheap, but I guess till I switch out the pin locks with ball locks, it's probably not any cheaper. The pin lock valves are not very easily accessible with a wrench due to the rubber handles. So the easiest way is to get them off is to grind slots into a socket to fit the pins?

Yup, grind four slots to make your own, like this:
images

or buy one.

If your current ball lock quick disconnects are attached to their tubing using flare fittings, your easiest path might be to pick up some pin lock disconnects, and just swap them when you change kegs from one type to the other...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back