Carbonating Smaller Batches in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
I’ve been considering doing a few smaller experimental batches and I’ve been wondering, would force carbonating 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon corny keg be a waste of CO2? In particular I’m trying to decide wether or not it would justify purchasing a 3 gallon keg specifically for these batches. 3 gallon kegs are even more expensive than 5 gallon kegs most places I see them, and I already have a few extra 5 gallon corny kegs I could use if it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Since they're experimental anyway, I'd just bite the small amount of 'wasted' CO2 to see if it works out. Hold on buying new 3G kegs until you're certain you'll be using them. Still..It is nice to have some smaller kegs around for the remainders of larger batches..I've been slowly buying 1.6G, 2.5G and 3G kegs as time, need and money dictate.

Back