Different immersion chiller idea, thoughts ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabeer

Reaction score
I'm looking to build an immersion chiller for my 15.5 gallon brew pot with a 16 inch diameter. I would like some feedback on this idea of a chiller that tries to retain some of the benefits of a counterflow chiller.

Instead of a helix, the basic shape will be a loosely wound flat coil sandwiched between two disks of roughly the same diameter as my pot. The disks will have some holes pierced through them to allow some wort through but still maintain a separation between the inside of the chiller and the wort under and over the chiller.

To cool the wort, I will let the chiller slowly sink down the pot in a controlled fashion (perhaps guided by a vertical pipe or something else, a string, etc.). As the chiller descends from the top, the hot wort will enter in the chiller through the holes in the bottom disk and will be immediately cooled by the coil occupying most of the space between the disks. As more wort enters, the now chilled wort will exit by the top disk and join the rest of the cooled wort on top of the chiller. When the cooler reaches down the pot, all the wort will be cooled. If it went too fast, a second pass could still be done.

The benefits that I see is that the coil will only be in contact with hot wort like in a counterflow chiller thus maintaining cooling efficiency. The cold break will also form in the pot much like a regular immersion chiller and can be dealt with immediately. The downside is that hypothetical nipples and thermometers would be in the way of the chiller, and that the chiller must be matched to a a pot of specific width.

I calculated that could wind approximately 11 turns of 0.5 inch copper pipe of a total length of 27 feet which I think should provide plenty of cooling. Also, because there will be some wort trying to pass in the space between the wall of the pot and chiller, I plan to have the coldest part of the coil be the exterior one.

So I'm looking to see if this sounds good to others, as I've never brewed before and I'm building my first setup. I could be oblivious to some things.

Thanks

Check out/Contact Jaded Brewing (they are also a HBT vendor). Their wort chillers are amazing and they can help find the right one for your setup.

Check out Jaded brewing (also a HBT vendor). The chillers are really well done and they will help you get the most efficient one for your desired setup.

In theory, it could work, but...

-You'd have a dedicated chiller for a dedicated pot. Any valves or temp probes would render it useless.
-This would take many hours to build, not including the design (how do you clean it inside, etc.), potentially expensive also.
-Compared to a COTS IC, you might save a few minutes, or you might even take longer. Compared to a COTS plate chiller you'll probably be less efficient?

I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze my friend...

I don't think that there would be enough heat transfer that it would work in one, two or even three passes through the wort. I stir my wort to keep moving the cooled wort off the IC coils and it still takes 15+ minutes in the winter when the water is really cold and over 1/2 hour in the summer to get as cold as possible. In the summer I have to put the fermenter in my chamber and cool it further before pitching the yeast.

I just think the time, expense and effort will not produce results that are desired.

It sounds like you want the efficiency of a counterflow chiller with the trub benefits of an immersion chiller. I don't think the disc idea will work for the same reasons PGEduardo has already listed. You have to keep in mind you're chilling a thermal mass that wants to constantly find a point of equilibrium. It's nearly impossible to chill it in sections in the same pot without gaskets and thermal breaks built in. A counterflow chiller is very efficient because it's removing a portion of wort to chill independently of the rest.

2 better and proven strategies that achieve the same results:
-Use a counterflow chiller and pump back into the kettle to whirlpool before knocking out to your fermentor
-Use an immersion chiller and whirlpool. Once the wort has hit around 120-100* start recirculating ice water through the chiller with a $10 submersible pump to hit your knock out temp.

It seems that you all think this is too much trouble with respect to proven strategies. I'll just build a regular immersion chiller and see from there if one day I want to improve my setup.

Thanks for your input!

Back