Difference in carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo_911

Reaction score
Just wondering what causes some bottles to be overcarbonated and others to be just right. Drank two beers that came from the same exact batch of an IPA. Stored at the same temperature, consumed at the same tempurature and opened within seconds of each other. One spewed forth foam for several minutes while the other had a nice head on it. Just curioius as to what might cause these differences.

If you are priming each bottle, there's the answer. If you are priming the whole batch, you just need to stir your beer a few more times. What's happening either way is that you aren't getting the same amount of sugar in every bottle. I had this happen a few times, being afraid to overstir and aerate the beer. What I got was a few bottles of super fizz and a few of flat tiger piss.

gonzo_911 said:
Just wondering what causes some bottles to be overcarbonated and others to be just right. Drank two beers that came from the same exact batch of an IPA. Stored at the same temperature, consumed at the same tempurature and opened within seconds of each other. One spewed forth foam for several minutes while the other had a nice head on it. Just curioius as to what might cause these differences.

Many variables. One could be an uneven mixture of priming sugar in the bottling bucket, which is not that uncommon.

so what's the best way to mix in the priming sugar nice and even without over agitating it? I usually mix in 1/5 of the priming solution per 1 gallon of beer as I siphon it from the carboy into the priming bucket. Should i gently stir it as well?

What works well for me is, I pour all of the priming solution into the bottling bucket. Then siphon the beer in with it. The swirling caused by this mixes it quite well. Then I give it a few good gentle stirs just for good measure.

Temperature can sure make a difference too. Maybe the higher carbed bottles were on the side of the case that was closer to the heat? or the less bubbly were in the colder side of the reefer?

Back