did'nt ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramedic

Reaction score
I just opened my fermentation bucket after 1 week, I was away from home the first few days of fermentation so I was not here to see if anything was coming through the airlock. When I opened the bucket there had been no activity at all. Is it to late to save the beer by adding more yeast?

Are you sure you didn't just miss the fermentation? Is there any crud at all stuck to the side of the fermenter? Did you take a gravity reading?

John

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't have any. Just ordered some, It'll take a few days to get here. From now on I'll keep some extra around the house.

And for the love of god keep that puppy closed, hate to see it get infected.:drunk:

beeramedic said:
Thanks, unfortunately, I don't have any. Just ordered some, It'll take a few days to get here. From now on I'll keep some extra around the house.

Can't think of a better reason to keep a few Nottingham Dry Yeast Packets in the fridge. I have three packets in there now, just for this reason. I was worried when my Kolsch took 27 hours to take off.

I pitched another packet of yeast and waited 3 days, and still nothing happened. So with a tear in my eye I dumped out that batch. I immediately started my 3rd batch and it was bubbling away this morning. On my 1st and 3rd batch, I sprinkled the yeast over the top of the wort as per instructions on the packet and they both did fine. On my 2nd batch, the one I through out, I rehydrated the yeast both times before pitching. Everything I have read says this is the best way to go. Can anyone give me any ideas as to where I went wrong. Thanks

did you ever take a gravity reading? taste it? was it still sweet? other than the lack of bubbles (easy to explain via a poor seal on the bucket) and not seeing much krausen residue, how do you know the beer was either bad or didn't ferment?

beeramedic said:
I pitched another packet of yeast and waited 3 days, and still nothing happened. So with a tear in my eye I dumped out that batch. I immediately started my 3rd batch and it was bubbling away this morning. On my 1st and 3rd batch, I sprinkled the yeast over the top of the wort as per instructions on the packet and they both did fine. On my 2nd batch, the one I through out, I rehydrated the yeast both times before pitching. Everything I have read says this is the best way to go. Can anyone give me any ideas as to where I went wrong. Thanks

If you pitched yeast again and still nothing it sound like it already fermented. did you do a gravity reading?

EdWort said:
Can't think of a better reason to keep a few Nottingham Dry Yeast Packets in the fridge. I have three packets in there now, just for this reason. I was worried when my Kolsch took 27 hours to take off.

Man, I guess I'm spoiled... I've got like 3 or 4 LHBS with a 10-15 mile radius. If I ever need to I can just run out and get some yeast! Plus, I also keep a couple of strains of recycled yeast in the fridge....

This isn't going to help you in any way, but the same thing has happened to me. When I pitch the yeast dry right onto the surface of the wort, things work out nicely. The couple of times I've had stuck fermentations, I followed the rehydrating directions. I'm not saying the instructions are wrong. Just that my experience, like yours, seems to be in total opposition. :confused: Glad to hear you've got a bubbler, though. :)

Here's a thought...

How hot was the water you re-hydrated in? Shouldn't be warmer than lukewarm. It's possible you killed your yeast there (assuming it DIDN'T ferment).

The key lesson from this, though - have a hydrometer, and know how to use it. I think a lot of us are cringing at the possibility that you dumped good beer down the drain.

Before you threw out the brew did you check the gravity or even taste it? I still don't see why you had to throw it out. Did you airate the wort after pitching the yeast? The little guys need oxygen to do their job. Shake it all up good next time.

I did'nt take a gravity reading, but I did taste it, very sweet with no bite at all. When I rehydrated the yeast in luke warm water and covered it with plastic wrap for about 10 minutes before pitching it. I did'nt know what else to do to the beer so I tossed it. I only have 1 fermenter and wanted to get started on a batch I could drink. I did aerate the wort through a strainer when I put it in the fermenter.

Back