Did my beer ferment properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benderb

Reaction score
My ale seems to have completed fermentation but it only had about 1.5 inches of foam. Is there any point in continuing with secondary or is the lack of foam indicating that I ruined my ale?

Benderb said:
My ale seems to have completed fermentation but it only had about 1.5 inches of foam. Is there any point in continuing with secondary or is the lack of foam indicating that I ruined my ale?

That's all you can usually expect. However, you should go by hydrometer readings rather than the size of your foam.

try not to concentrate on the foam as an indicator of fermentation and get a hydrometer to test the gravity of the beer. that's really the only way to know if your beer is done. and even then, it probably needs more time to condition before you bottle it. most around here would suggest a lengthy primary fermentation (in one vessel) for 2-4 weeks, then think about bottling.

A little bit of patience will be just what you and your beer need. It will be fine. Congrats on entering the hobby! Its a boatload of fun!

The amount of foam (krausen) that you get depends on a lot of factors such as the protein in the wort, the speed at which it fermented, etc. I've had beer that never got over a half inch of krausen and it was really good. For that, I fermented it nearer the lower end of its temperature range so it fermented slowly.

Thank you for all of the great feed back. I am so glad to have some brew vets for advice. The beer is sitting at 1.021. Is that still a bit fresh or is it ready for secondary?

My experience is that the foam drops. I have a light coloured ale, the foam droped but the wort remained cloudy. Now you can see the yeast dropping out from the top. It is starting to get much clear at the top and the clear layer is growing down meaning that the yeast is dropping out.

So your krausen will fall, you will reach FG in primary which you can verify by gravity readings that hold steady for three days (check a gravity and wait a day and check another on the third day. If no change FG has been reached). Then you rack to secondary, if you want to, for a brightening tank. You can just keep it in primary though and decrease risk of oxidation and contamination. Then after a month or so in primary, rack to bottling bucket and bottle or keg.

Your gravity readings will let you know when to do anything. And even then, a little extra time in primary is NOT bad, provided it's not at 80 F or something like that.

Then when you bottle, three weeks at room temp is the MINIMUM. Longer, like 4-8 weeks is better. Then put it in the fridge. Don't be impatient or you beer will not reach it's full potential and you will be missing out on the full benefits of brewing your own beer. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the beer when it's truly ready and you will be amazed you brewed such an amazing batch of beer. That is when you really get hooked on this hobby.

BTW: 4 weeks in the fridge will help drop out the chill haze and smooth out your beer. So let it sit before you crack em open. Just a piece of info that's helped me out quite a bit.

Back