Did I screw up my yeast wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I am washing yeast for the second time today and wen I racked my beer to the keg there ended up being about a half gallon left. I tried to decant the remaining beer off of the cake but it mixed up quickly and probably only got a quart out. My question is will the washing process still work with that much beer left in there? Should I cut my washing water back to compensate?

cut the washing water back to no water at all. there is nothing to wash out but the good yeast you could have used to ferment your beer. jar up your yeast cake into clean jars and use as needed.

Like Eastoak said, dont use water, I just leave some beer and swirl it into a slurry and dump into my vials.

Didn't look at my replies in time. I used a quart of water and let it sit 20 min then decanted into my 2000ml flask. I put that in the fridge for 20 min and decanted in to five 12oz mason jars. I wish I had done as y'all suggested because the results from jar to jar are very different even after only 45 min at room temp.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388970971.042224.jpg

Looks ok based on the last time I washed. These jars a less consistent though.

Latest posts

Back