First try at collecting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I watched a few videos awhile back about collect the yeast from commercial beers. I picked up some Weihenstephaner Hefe today and noticed the yeast in the bottle. I decided to forgo mixing it and saved for collecting. I have a hefe kit coming and it will be my first time trying. Of course I ordered some yeast and plan to add what I get from these bottles to it. Will do a starter as well and see what happens.

The yeast from the bottle has had a long journey over (rumors are it's Wyeast 3068). It will most likely still be viable, but barely. The packet of yeast you ordered will overwhelm the little bit of yeast from the bottle. Anyway, have fun with it, but in the future I wouldn't worry about harvesting it from the bottle.

don't bother. the fresh yeast will take over very fast.

If you want to harvest the bottled yeast, get a 6 pack, let it sit a good long time to settle, spend a nice afternoon drinking the whole 6 pack, carefully decanting all except the bottom yeast layers, dump all that into a flask with some low OG wort and see if you can grow anything.

play with that and build it up to a decent pitch size.

Back