Did I ruin my wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirthomas42

Reaction score
I was racking several batches of wine, including a batch of Ed's Apfelwein. I was stabilizing them all with campden tabs/sorbate in preparation for backsweetening and bottling. After I got done, I realized I had double-dosed the batch of Apfelwein -- for a 5 gallon batch, 10 total campden tabs and 5 tsp of potassium sorbate, instead of 5 tabs and 2 1/2 tsp. Did I ruin that batch? Will it be OK in time?

I'm still kind of a noob at this, despite having a ton of great batches under my belt.

Open a bottle and see if it smells like sulfur and give it a taste. Or better yet have a couple friends come over to taste it. Your tasting will be a lot more subjective since you know you added too much.

You could make another 5g batch and blend the two together if oxidation is not a problem.

At least this is what I would do in that situation. Not sure if it is right or worng. Good Luck

Well, I finally bottled it, and gave it a taste. It doesn't have a sulfur smell or taste, but there is a weird aftertaste to it. Maybe the extra sorbate, I've heard that gives a funky taste. I'll let it age a while, see if it improves. :(

I don't know about the sorbate, but some extra age will definitely help with the extra campden. I had a minor mixup with campden and ended up with too much in the wine. It was a little unpleasant at first, but almost a year later it is way better.

Sorbate has a distinct taste, and I don't like it. I bet that is going to stick around and not disipate unfortunately. Sulfite will go away, but sorbate won't.

Back