Did I make a mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So because the rhizomes were so cheap, and i know that they can fail i got 2x of the 3 types of rhizomes i wanted.

I basically planted the 2 rhizomes horizontally a few inches away from eachother in the mound...each of the 3 types is 6' apart which im not worried about.

But did i potentially stunt/inhibit my rhizomes from growing by planting 2 rhizomes so close together?
They are starting to pop up now, so i know they are growing...just curious!

It won't hurt them, but there is also no benefit. If you have more room, go ahead and dig up/ move one of each set to a new location.

It won't hurt them, but there is also no benefit. If you have more room, go ahead and dig up/ move one of each set to a new location.

Yea there is no other room, with the rhizomes only being a few bucks each locally i figured i'd plant 2 of each...that way at least one of each takes off and one of my types doesn't take off and is a year behind after replanting next year.

How many twine runs per plant? Ive seen a lot of singles, ive also seen people running 2-3 twines for sets of bines from the same crown...

How many twine runs per plant? Ive seen a lot of singles, ive also seen people running 2-3 twines for sets of bines from the same crown...

If you have the room, a pair of slightly "veed" drops per crown with a pair of bines trained on each works pretty well...

Cheers!

On first year do not cut back growth. It is all there is and you need to establish root growth. In planting new commercial hop yards we routinely put 3 to 6 rhizomes in every hill

Back