Hops growing slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanAequitas

Reaction score
So I'm in Texas, east of Dallas area. Bought n planted three rhizomes this spring, Northern Brewer, Chinook, and Fuggles. Planted on the side of the house,, got lots of afternoon sun (might get hot off the brick but I figured after a couple years they'll grow in thick, plus this was more experimental fun than serious hop growing.

They all seem to have just stopped..
Fuggles has four bines, 2-3 ft, 7ft, 1ft, and 3-4ft. Haven't gotten bigger in weeks.
Chinook never popped up, so ignoring it.
Northern Brewer has one bine that hit ~15ft (first to sprout through the mulch), but stopped growing up, but it has slowly added leaves / arms at most of the leaf clusters, maybe 3-4in out. Not much growth though, certainly not a foot, or even an inch on two, per day.

Soaker hose for 15-30min 5-6 days a week, has good drainage. I don't think the brick is too hot, as the leaves aren't burning/browning at all?

I think in my area that hops grow vertically until sometime in late July or August, then stop and focus on cone production. I don't know how they handle your climate, but first year bines reaching 7ft and 15ft sounds good to me.

Ah mkay. I wos expecting more growth, especially from the shorter ones.
Pretty dry and an the warmer side here, temps are usually low of 70s to upper 90s all day.

Back