Did I just make some crystal malt? Is it what its supposed to look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
It is not finished yet

There is another round within which I'll raise the temperature to up to 300F and give it it's final color
I've never done this before

It's it what its supposed to look like on the inside? And if I make a tea with it, should it sweet? Like real sweet?

IMG_20230409_224648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the color of the tea
It's not so sweet
Maybe just a little bit
Is that ok?

Tasted it again, it's barely sweet, a bit bitter
People say like it tastes sweet, should it taste so sweet? Mine is barely sweet

Yours looks fine. Different crystal malts taste differently. They are made of different type of sugars, the shorter ones taste sweeter than the longer ones. The shorter ones are easily fermented, the longer ones stay in the beer and push the residual sweetness and mouth feel.

Yours looks fine. Different crystal malts taste differently. They are made of different type of sugars, the shorter ones taste sweeter than the longer ones. The shorter ones are easily fermented, the longer ones stay in the beer and push the residual sweetness and mouth feel.
Is it ok if it's not sweet? The tea is a bit bitter and slightly sweet just a tiny bit

It can take some trial and error to make good crystal (caramel) malt. Ovens differ a lot, even in the same brands. You need to watch it carefully, and stir frequently to make sure all the grains get equal heat. Just as in cooking, a few minutes can make all the difference between a nice crystal malt and something burnt to a crisp. Keep in mind, since we're talking sugars here, even once the pven heat is turned off the sugar continues to cook/caramelize, as it holds heat very well. I would suggest, take it out of the oven as soon as some of the grains start to brown, to avoid burning. Stir it while it cools to distribute the heat evenly. The grains may not 'look' as brown as you think they should, but those sugars (starches) inside are still plenty hot to caramelize.

Here's a nice article about making Crystal (also known as caramel malt as the word Crystal is a trademark) malt.

Off the top of my head, Bairds, Simpsons, and Crisp all make malts called "Crystal." Are you thinking of Carapils (trademark), perhaps?

Crystal was trademarked but it seems that it has come into popular usage so the company that trademarked it could no longer defend it. There are a number of words that had been trademarked and the company lost the rights to is because it became impossible to defend with all the people using that name as a generic.

Back