Did I get a bad regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
Since I got my stuff it doesn't seem like the regulator has worked right since I got it from kegconnections. There was damage to one of the gauges during shipping and they sent a repalcement for that, but I am pretty sure the regulator itself is also not working correctly.

Basically it seems like it reads the pressure in the keg, not what I set the regulator to. If you put it on a flat keg it works okay. But when the keg is carbonated I cant turn the pressure down accurately since when I turn it down, say from 10psi to 5 psi, it initally goes down some then in seconds climbs back up to the presssure in the keg (10 PSI) and will only read the lower setting after the pressure in the keg falls as you draw off beer and CO2. I am assuming this is regulator "creep".

I would point out that kegconnections has been responsive to other problems I have had with my purchase so I am pretty sure they will correct it if it is not functioning right, but I just want confirmation that this isn't how it is supposed to function.

If anyone can fill me in on if this is "creep" I would apprciate it.

No, that is normal.

WHen you turn the reg from 10 to 5 PSI, the keg is still at 10 PSI. YOu need to pull the relief valve on the keg to drop the pressure in the system.

My method for setting the regulator:
1) turn off gas to the keg, (shut off valve or disconnect quick disconnect)
2) turn reg down (back off screw)
3) pull relief valve on regulator to release pressure
4) turn up reg (turn in screw) to pressure you want
5) pull relief valve on reg a few times to make sure it stays at that pressure
6) vent pressure in the keg by pulling the keg relief valve to drop it BELOW the regulator set pressure
7) turn gas back on to keg, (open valve to keg or reconnect quick disconnect).

Do you have a check valve and are you releasing pressure in the keg when you drop pressure?

I have a check valve on the keg and regulator but have only been purging the valve on the regulator (red flip valve). I'll try releasing the gas from the check valve on the kegs, thanks.

Thanks guys, good to know the regulator is functional, it is the operator that is screwing up:cross:

I'll follow your proceedure shortyjacobs.

I have a check valve on the keg and regulator but have only been purging the valve on the regulator (red flip valve). I'll try releasing the gas from the check valve on the kegs, thanks.

A check valve and pressure relief valve are not the same. A check valve will keep gas from flowing backwards from your keg to your regulator if you don't have one you keg will back feed your regulator. My check valves are incorporated into my ball valves. Some ball valves do not have the check valves.

image_1934.jpg

A check valve and pressure relief valve are not the same. A check valve will keep gas from flowing backwards from your keg to your regulator if you don't have one you keg will back feed your regulator. My check valves are incorporated into my ball valves. Some ball valves do not have the check valves.

image_1934.jpg

I have those exact same valves and they don't keep my regulator from reading the keg pressure. I'll try the technique above which should get me straightened out.

Thanks

brewit2it said:
I have those exact same valves and they don't keep my regulator from reading the keg pressure. I'll try the technique above which should get me straightened out.

Thanks

It should...but, A check valve is cheap Insurance to keep beer from getting into your regulator. You only need one on your primary line.

Back