diacetyl rest and final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I have 3 lagers on the go, the first I fermented for 17 days at 53f and it measured 1.024 from an expexted 1.016, starting at 1.052og. I checked afer 20 days and possibly a fraction off a change and then raised the temperature to 61 for diacetyl rest for 2 days further and no change in og so I placed the fermernter in the fridge to lager as I did not want to damahe the beer.
Is it possible the wort still contains sugars that need to be fermented?
I used 34/70 saflager dried yeast.
Another question would be is could this result from pitching the yeast at a higher temp?

What was your mash schedule? What temp did you pitch at (just curious as I don’t think this is your issue)?
Issues with gravity tend to be because of grind, mash or pH.

This might be a recipe and/or mash issue. Can you provide the complete recipe and mash parameters (time, temperature, and pH)?

And... I assume you are using a hydrometer... but by chance maybe you are using a refractometer? Just checking to be sure.

In any case, I think it's unlikely that it is done fermenting, probably needs more time at 61 F.

What was your mash schedule? What temp did you pitch at (just curious as I don’t think this is your issue)?
Issues with gravity tend to be because of grind, mash or pH.
Ive been using tap water and my ph was around 7.8 so I got a rough water report and the result on brun water was 2.8ml of lactic acid. I checked my mash ph the first time i did this and it was 5.5 so i was assuming this would be ok for the ph problem. Im mashing BIAB for 90 minutes at around 152f bring it to boil 212f then boil for 60 minutes. I then chill it with an immersion chiller and place in the fridge for a couple of hours as the immersion chiller slows at around 70f.. i have been pitching at around 64 a lot.

This might be a recipe and/or mash issue. Can you provide the complete recipe and mash parameters (time, temperature, and pH)?

And... I assume you are using a hydrometer... but by chance maybe you are using a refractometer? Just checking to be sure.

In any case, I think it's unlikely that it is done fermenting, probably needs more time at 61 F.
I have it in the fridge but at 41. Could I still reactivate the yeast and ferment further?
Im pretty sure its a hydrometer ill attach pic and recipe also
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210324_163309.jpg
    20210324_163309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210324_163233.jpg
    20210324_163233.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
This is somewhat of a stumper because it looks like you did everything right, recipe was fine and you added acid to hit pH 5.5 so that's all good. The only thing that could have stalled it is chilling it down too quick. Must just not be done fermenting yet. I'd warm it back up. You still have billions of yeast cells in the beer, the warmth will wake them up and let them finish. Give it another 7-10 days probably.

I think it stalled because of the cold. How did you warm it to 61 for 2 days? Would think that you would need the beer at 61 for at least 2 days and it's difficult to raise a volume of beer quickly unless you have glycol etc. Could stage it back to 61 and hold it there for a few more days. So might be another week or more before you get " lagering" again.

I had it in my chest freezer at the 1st ferment then i transfered it to another with a heat pad and inkbird to raise it to 61. I will take it out and referment i have 2 more batches fermenting the last week so i can play around with this one and learn. Im thinking of leaving them 3 weeks undisturbed before checking og

Attachments

• 20210306_002338.jpg
    20210306_002338.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 6
I assume the temp probe was on the fermenter? or in it.
More time more heat gently and you should get there.
Personally doing my " lagers" under pressure and hot with kveik then cold crash and they are coming out fine ( although just have one on tap for the lagerboys ) . Will do some cool ferments with different yeast for next summer as we are heading into autumn and winter down here.

I assume the temp probe was on the fermenter? or in it.
More time more heat gently and you should get there.
Personally doing my " lagers" under pressure and hot with kveik then cold crash and they are coming out fine ( although just have one on tap for the lagerboys ) . Will do some cool ferments with different yeast for next summer as we are heading into autumn and winter down here.
I drilled a hole in the a bottle of water and stuck the probe into it. Im sure there is better ways but seems to be doing the job! I took the lager with the weak fg back out of the fridge and ill do another reading after 4 or 5 days and see if it has changed and with the other ill take my time!

Last edited:
The bottle would heat up a lot quicker than all of that beer, either a thermowell or stick probe to side of the fermenter with BLu tack and then cover with insulation ( so you don't get air temp effect) will get you closer to beer temp. In my ferment fridge the outside of fermenter temp read this way is within 0.2 degree celsius of the Ispindel temp floating in the beer and that outside probe goes to the STC 1000 controller.
You'll get there, I have recently done a wine kit and the waiting was very challenging compared to seeing the activity over so quickly with some of my recent Kveik beers.

The bottle would heat up a lot quicker than all of that beer, either a thermowell or stick probe to side of the fermenter with BLu tack and then cover with insulation ( so you don't get air temp effect) will get you closer to beer temp. In my ferment fridge the outside of fermenter temp read this way is within 0.2 degree celsius of the Ispindel temp floating in the beer and that outside probe goes to the STC 1000 controller.
You'll get there, I have recently done a wine kit and the waiting was very challenging compared to seeing the activity over so quickly with some of my recent Kveik beers.
I was thinking that because of the ratio perhaps the temp is off but i was hoping it would be near enough and more accurate then air temp. As for stc i purchased one but never used it thinking it was a lot of hassle and easier to spend the extra on an inkbird.. would u reccomend them over an inkbird?
Thanks

I've no experience or real knowledge of inkbird.
I have had one probe break and two stc break in 18 months so I'm not blown away on reliability. The relays went on the first STC so would be swappable out, but I just use it as a digital temp gauge on my keg fridge now.

I will probably get an inkbird next or some other temp controller ( need a spare on the shelf in case of another failure ), might go the raspberry pi route and use the temp data from an ispindel ( is that possible) .
The other STC broke soon after i bought it so I got my money back on that one. ORiginal supplier of the one now used as temp display had an STC new with a bit of the protective rear casing missing and sent it to me for free.
So I've spent 25 dollars on one working STC and a thermometer, could have been more.
On the plus side very easy to wire up using online videos.

Back