DFH Rhizing Bines IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Had a glass of this last night (on tap). Underwhelmed would be putting it mildly. Way to sweet, and the hops seemed non-existant. With a name like "Rhizing Bines", I was expecting a blast of fresh hop taste and aroma, of which it had neither. DFH beers are overrated IMO, and this one just confirmed it further for me.

And here I was hoping that working with Sierra Nevada, they would make something more west coast.

Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

I can't say I've ever had a DFH IPA that I was crazy about. 60 Minute is decent in my opinion, 90 Minute would go better as syrup on pancakes than beer in a glass, and I have no inclination to spend the money on 120 Minute. When I see "IPA" printed on a label, I have a pretty narrow definition of those three letters. Seems DFH doesn't share my views.

The 90 & 120 minute are pretty hoppy IPA's. I think some of you guys need to back off the 500 gigaton hop bombs for a while now & then. Anything with less than 5 pounds of hops won't taste like anything. Our tastebuds work that way. Too much of a good thing...:drunk:

The 90 & 120 minute are pretty hoppy IPA's. I think some of you guys need to back off the 500 gigaton hop bombs for a while now & then. Anything with less than 5 pounds of hops won't taste like anything. Our tastebuds work that way. Too much of a good thing...:drunk:

I can make a pretty hoppy IPA with only 4 oz total in 5 gallons. There's a lot more to hoppiness than just how many hops you throw at a beer, and while 90 Minute isn't a bad beer at all, I just feel it would be more appropriately labelled as an American Barleywine with how pronounced the malt is and how thick of a finish it has.

Well,you do want the malt to stand up to the hops somewhat. How much is open to interpretation. I didn't think 90 minute was that heavy on the malt. But it has been awhile.
I use 4.5oz of 3 hops in my IPA,& 1.5oz of same in 1 week dry hop.

And here I was hoping that working with Sierra Nevada, they would make something more west coast.

Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

I had a 10oz draft for 4 bucks. Didn't break the bank, but I could have had a pint of Racer 5 for the same price.

Had this tonight...awesome beer in my opinion. Too many 8% IPA's taste like syrup. This has a clean easy drinking appeal that I have to appreciate. Decent hop aroma without the long drawn out bitterness. I'll slam a Pliny with the best of them, but this was a deferent animal. A+ IMO

I can make a pretty hoppy IPA with only 4 oz total in 5 gallons. There's a lot more to hoppiness than just how many hops you throw at a beer, and while 90 Minute isn't a bad beer at all, I just feel it would be more appropriately labelled as an American Barleywine with how pronounced the malt is and how thick of a finish it has.

:confused:

Had a glass of this last night (on tap). Underwhelmed would be putting it mildly. Way to sweet, and the hops seemed non-existant. With a name like "Rhizing Bines", I was expecting a blast of fresh hop taste and aroma, of which it had neither. DFH beers are overrated IMO, and this one just confirmed it further for me.

My feelings exactly. I remember telling a buddy it was far more DFH than SN. Just so mild in the hop department that I was very disappointed.

Latest posts

Back