DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The final FG is up to 1016 and the OG is now at 1141 for an ABV of 16.35%. All this sugar is boosting the volume of the beer. I had 28 L after the boil. Lost 3 in the first day of fermentation because it was so active and now after 4 kg in, I'm back at 29l in the bucket. I should add another 3.5 kg before the end hopefully. Since my bucket has a 33 l capacity I'm going to have to drink my samples rather than throwing them back in the fermentation vessel. No complains about that.

The alcohol taste is really strong but the after taste of the brew is fantastic. The hops aroma is great. It is not syrupy it still very fluid.

The final FG is up to 1016 and the OG is now at 1141 for an ABV of 16.35%. All this sugar is boosting the volume of the beer. I had 28 L after the boil. Lost 3 in the first day of fermentation because it was so active and now after 4 kg in, I'm back at 29l in the bucket. I should add another 3.5 kg before the end hopefully. Since my bucket has a 33 l capacity I'm going to have to drink my samples rather than throwing them back in the fermentation vessel. No complains about that.

The alcohol taste is really strong but the after taste of the brew is fantastic. The hops aroma is great. It is not syrupy it still very fluid.

Sounds right on track. About the alcohol taste, from the bucket mine tasted heavy as well however after the monster dry hop, carbonation, and some time it all really comes together.

Oh I'm not worried about the alcohol taste, I know it will blend in. My very first beer was a trappist kit, when I first tasted it, it was as if someone poured vodka into a poorly made beer. After about a month in the bottle that beer became fanstatic.

The krauzen of the DFH has completetly disapeared this morning. I still added some sugar raising the OG by 5 pt this evening the FG has increased by 2. So I guess I'm nearing the end of the sugar additions, I will still add some sugar but in smaller quantity while still monitoring the FG. I will give it a good shake a couple times a day to see if it can still stimulate the yeast.

If I were not to reach 20% abv I wouldn't be too upset even tough it was my goal as I can feel that beer is going to be fantastic. I love the aftertaste of it and the nose of it is frankly out of this world.

I'm done adding sugar the FG has steadily increase over the last few days but not as much as the OG. Last night it was a 1022 and the OG is at 1168 For an ABV of 18.99%. I don't want to bring the FG too high and have the yeast die out on me.
I'm happy with that i will just let it rest until the end of august when I'll get the hops for dry hopping.
Thanks for the help and the info on this great thread. I already decided that I will do this brew at least a second time but just not sure when.

I tore open a bottle of my batch for National IPA day. Wow. Now that's it's a year old, it's just incredible. I love that I still have around a case of this to enjoy over the years

I tore open a bottle of my batch for National IPA day. Wow. Now that's it's a year old, it's just incredible. I love that I still have around a case of this to enjoy over the years

I'm drinking one as well, but mine's only about 5 months. Aging very well. A little hot (ended at 19%), but I'm glad to see the hop aroma has stuck around. Fantastic recipe! Cheers!

Mine came in at 16%, and it's almost gone :(
I have maybe a third of of the batch, and I'm starting to get greedy with it. It has no alcohol character or heat whatsoever, and due to the insanely low FG it drinks like a beer half it's strength. Dangerous stuff. I will definitely be making it again.

3 weeks until I get the hops to dry hop. Can't wait to sneak a taste. It's been fermenting for 6 weeks.
How long did you keep it in the bottle before tasting it and when did become best?

I brewed on 1/22/2012, puts me right around 6.5 months...

22 bottles left.

I haven't tasted my batch in quite a while, may toss one in the fridge for this weekend.

Just raked mine in the secondary after about 2 months in the primary. OG was 1162 and the FG is down to 1013 the is 19.55% ABV. I'm ok with that. I off course tasted a sample or two and you can really smell and taste the simcoe. It is very sweet but the alcohol taste has taken a back seat. You can still taste it but it's not the first sensation you get. I should get my dry hopping hops in the next 10 days. I really like this brew.

With the hops I should be getting a real bottle of DFH 120 along with a couple other DFH. My dad lives in NY and is bringing one back if he can find it.
Looking forward to compare mine to the real deal.

It's not even 11 am and I'm feeling very buzzed.

No I racked into secondary to dry hop. I added the wlp 99 about 4 days in when I started adding the sugar. Ideally you add the wlp when the 007 gives up.

This was mine. It held a fine head for 16%. I didn't use the same grain bill, I more or less ramped up the PTE grain bill, but it came out gorgeous.

image-3158677096.jpg

When you say it was mine, does it mean that it is all gone?
Looks really good, very nice color.

Akavango said:
When you say it was mine, does it mean that it is all gone?
Looks really good, very nice color.

Haha nope I've still got a little. It went amazingly quick though, and I shared a lot of it out.

There once was a man with a thirst,
For a brew that would make the weak burst,
So he grabbed a 120,
from the stash he had plenty,
And now his vision is cursed.

True story, boys! Cheers!

I'm brewing another batch this up-coming weekend. It'll be the recipe I talked about here: http://bertusbrewery.blogspot.com/2012/01/if-pliny-younger-and-120-minute-had.html

To summarize:
1.133 OG or so
About half the dextrose to hit 14-16% ABV
Much drier
Hoppier
Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo as the main hops

I'll post some pictures and updates this weekend.

Why Citra? Neither recipes seems to have citra in it. I must admit, I don't care much for Citra in the boil. Not too found of the grapefruit like flavor.
I'm bottling an ipa today in which i used citra as dry hopping. Can't wait to taste it.

Well I hope it turns out great.

Why Citra? Neither recipes seems to have citra in it. I must admit, I don't care much for Citra in the boil. Not too found of the grapefruit like flavor.
I'm bottling an ipa today in which i used citra as dry hopping. Can't wait to taste it.

Well I hope it turns out great.

Because I don't intend for this batch to taste like 120 minute. It's my own thing. I really like Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo together. If you read that link, I talked about a lot of the reasons I changed the recipe.

Saving this one to compare with my clone. Got the hop for dry hopping at the same time. Bottling in 3 weeks....

photo.jpg

Been following this thread for a while, hoping to make a clone once Amarillo starts popping back up again after the harvest. I am hoping the rumors of it being hard to find are at least a little exaggerated. In the meantime im happy there's a dfh alehouse two minutes up the street from me where I can enjoy the original. Had 6 glasses over the course of last weekend :)

Just give it a month or so and there will be plenty of Amarillo. Just try to make sure you buy enough for the year, and that you are in the first wave of people that buy and you'll be fine.

Well fellas its been awhile since I've posted anything. Just thought you guys might like to know I'm entering my first competition today. It's a BJCP judging for Porters and IPA. Consumer Beverages is hosting it. The judging will be on Sept 8th and the awards ceremony is the following Saturday at Beer Bash. There are 30 breweries there and only $25 to enter. I'm submitting my version of this brew. I hope it fits the style. I'm very curious what the judges say. Either way I won't be disappointed cause I still think this beer is great. Just thought I would post it. When I get the results I will share them here.

Cheers!

That's always a sad sight to walk up to and see. I feel your pain brother but you must pick yourself backup and brew on! I hope to try this recipe very soon :rockon:

Wasn't meant to be.. But what a great story when you do finally brew the Penguin!

Thanks for the support guys. I'm feeling much better about it today than I did Sunday. I'll definitely re-brew this, once I sort out my issues with the temperamental mini-fridge

i love how we as homebrewers take the time to snap pictures before we fix things...lol sorry for you loss:(

kosmokramer said:
i love how we as homebrewers take the time to snap pictures before we fix things...lol sorry for you loss:(

Every time I handle a glass carboy, which isn't often, it goes through my head that it may shatter and severely cut me. And that thought is always followed up my thinking about how I can get my phone out of my pocket to take a picture for my "My god my god my hand!" thread ;)

Because I avoided cleaning it up a good twenty minutes. I was a little hung over from Saturday, and the idea of cleaning up that mess was not thrilling

Sorry Scott for your loss of awesomeness. I really thought that was going to happen to my brew. I didnt use a blow off tube, kinda just watched it like a sick child for a few hours. Replaced the airlock a few dozen times to keep it from exploding.

Today in the mail I received my scoresheet from the Consumers Beverage Homebrew Competition. Its pretty much exactly what I expected. Ive only been brewing for a year when I brewed this recipe. I was entry number 133. I entered it in 14C Imperial IPA catergory. The judges wrote in pencil and the font is too small to photo. So this is what each said.

Judge 1
BJCP rank: Certified

Bottle Inspection: Ok. Bottle began to slowly gush after 2 mins.

Aroma: 5/12
Low hop aroma, some low bready malts and moderate nutyness. A slight sour-cherry aroma which may be indicative of oxidation. No esters, diacetyl or DMS.

Appearance: 3/3
Golden color with good clarity. Thick off-white head with good stand persists. And is creamy.

Flavor: 10/20
High malt flavor up front, honey-like, some caramel sweetness. Hop flavor is low and piney and citrusy. high bitterness follows and dries out finish. No esters, diacetyl or DMS. Sour cherry note from aroma not present here. Balanced to bitterness. Very slightly nutty.

Mouthfeel: 4/5
Medium-full body and slightly astringent from bitterness and alcohol. Lightly creamy texture and high alcohol warmth but not hot or solventy.

Overall Impression: 6/10
Overall this is a decent Imperial IPA! It could benefit from lower overall bitterness and more hop aroma/flavor. Cherry aroma and nuttiness suggest oxidation from age. Thanks for this entry, cheers!

Total 28/50

Judge 2
BJCP rank: Recognized

Aroma: 6/12
Low caramel maltiness and low fruit. Not much hops, looking for that!

Appearance: 3/3
Amber-orange, clear pour with full white head of firm bubbles that lasts. Bottle was slight gusher.

Flavor: 9/20
Caramel malt, not much hop flavor, middle of flavor is hijacked by a soapy taste, very bitter, midly astrigent at finish.

Mouthfeel: 2/5
Low-medium body, med-high carbonation. Some alcohol warming, a little creamy with soapy finish.

Overall Impression: 5/10
Major flaw is soapy taste-may have gotten oxidized somewhere along the way. Hop aroma and flavor was low for this style, or too old. Good effort- Keep at it!

Total: 25/50

So my final score was 26.5 (good). I didnt give the judges any info on my beer. I dont know if that would have hurt/helped me. I wanted them to judge it from just the experience. What I think I have learned from this is when I bottle I have to pay attention to my final racked beer yield. I've noticed im actually bottling with the amount of priming sugar I would use for 5 gallons but actually having less in the end. Ive enjoyed every taste that I have cracked open since its been brewed. I can see that the beer is old for the style since I really enjoyed it young but I do appreciate it more now as its aged. I think the first judge was more informative compared to the second judge. I dont understand what soapy means. Is it my StarSan? Im also curious how to get less bitterness and more flavor and aroma out of my beer since both judges commented on this. If I were to do it again with continuosly hopping my wort would I just add less high alpha hops later in the boil and bumping up the lower ones? Plus using less lower alpha acid hops in the early stages? Just some thoughts.

Either way its my first competition and finally some input from people other than my friends. Im happy with the results and leaves me with some knowledge of what to work on my future brewing.

Cheers.

Your beer was so far out of style, that 26.5 is a pretty awesome score. Remember the 'ideal' beer for that category is 8.0-9.5%, rather dry, and extremely hoppy. Think heady topper or Southern tier unearthly.

I'm sure your beer tastes rather different than those. It's a massive IPA. There's no real category for it, so don't concern yourself with the BJCP scores. As for the soapiness, he may be off base. Oxidation comes across as cardboard or sherry-like. Soapy is a different issue

This beer has got me thinking about aroma/flavor and hop saturation in beer. Mine had pretty decent flavor and aroma, but I've done better with beers that had 1/4 the amount of hops. It makes me wonder if the extreme bittering addition (~200 IBU in my case) may saturate the wort with hop oil to the extent that the late additions don't quite come through proportionately. Just a thought.

This beer has got me thinking about aroma/flavor and hop saturation in beer. Mine had pretty decent flavor and aroma, but I've done better with beers that had 1/4 the amount of hops. It makes me wonder if the extreme bittering addition (~200 IBU in my case) may saturate the wort with hop oil to the extent that the late additions don't quite come through proportionately. Just a thought.

A homebrewing friend of mine made the same point after tasting one of my IPA. So I decided to experiment. I have made a cascade IPA with 11 oz of cascade during the boil (70 IBU) and another 3.5 for dry hopping. I then made the same beer with 2/3 of the hops to see how much it will change. I bottle the second one last week end so it is too early for a side by side comparison.

I thought the first one was perfect, drunk most of it in less than a month.

scottland said:
Your beer was so far out of style, that 26.5 is a pretty awesome score. Remember the 'ideal' beer for that category is 8.0-9.5%, rather dry, and extremely hoppy. Think heady topper or Southern tier unearthly.

I'm sure your beer tastes rather different than those. It's a massive IPA. There's no real category for it, so don't concern yourself with the BJCP scores. As for the soapiness, he may be off base. Oxidation comes across as cardboard or sherry-like. Soapy is a different issue

Thanks scottland for the advice. I figured it was way out of style that's why I didn't give them any info prior to there judging. I wanted it to be a fair critique. Does anybody know where the soapy flavor she was talking about would come from? I've been looking but nothing seems to be coming up other than not a good enough rinse with my StarSan. I would agree with you scottland on maybe being off base with her palette. As for the hop flavor/aroma, im going to chalk that up to aging. I thought after a month in bottle it was full flavor and crazy aroma. It would punch you right in the face. Sticking your nose in the snifter would lead to a black eye! Lol.

Now that it's cooling down here I'm preparing to make this again in the next couple of weeks. I would love this brew right around thanksgiving/Christmas time.
Cheers

Back