Destihl wild sour synchopathic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon443

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a clone to destihls syncohpathic wild sour ale? Or something very similar. Looking for a very tart sour ale to brew. Would greatly appreciate it

I can definitely point you to something similar, I have no idea what they use ingredient wise and its not listed on their site. What they do list is,
Synchopathic is the cool harmonization of a refreshingly tart and acidic sour ale with citrusy, fruity & floral dry-hops normally in concert with pale ales, with totally rad aromas and flavors reminiscent of grapefruit, orange, lemon, tangerine, pineapple and hints of pine, giving way to a biscuity-crackery malt back beat, low bitterness and a dry finish to bring everything in synch.

So, it sounds like a pale ale, without the bittering hops, kettle soured, and dry hopped. They list the malt flavor as biscuity-crackery. That reminds me of maris otter. Other stats are:

OG 1.067
6.0% abv
8 IBU
6 SRM

To get 6% from 1.067, you have to have a very low attenuating yeast. Since they say the beer has a dry finish, I'm just going to make a regular 6% beer and disregard their OG.

Give this recipe a whirl:

Batch size: 5.5g
OG/FG 1.058/1.013
ABV 6.0%
IBU 8
SRM 5.9

8lbs 2-row
3lbs Maris Otter
.5lb Munich 10L
.5lb Victory

.15oz Warrior @ 60 (use whatever to get 8 IBU)
1oz each of Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe - dry hops

US-05 yeast

You will have to kettle sour after you mash (before boil) to your desired level of sourness. Once its acidic enough, boil and proceed with fermentation like normal. Dry hop after fermentation is done and 3-4 days before you plan on bottling/kegging.

I'm not touting this as a clone by any means, this is just something in the same category

Seems like something I would want to try, have been toying with the idea of a sour ale for awhile. Came close once, had the bacteria and then foolishly stuck it in the freezer. If anyone brews this report back please!

Thanks for the recipe, think I may give it a shot in the next couple months, just gotta look a bit more into the souring in the kettle. Just kegged up my first sour (a bit young at only 9 months, got to inpatient after I kicked my Brett beer). And want to always have one ready to go, so I gotta get one in the works!

Thanks for the recipe, think I may give it a shot in the next couple months, just gotta look a bit more into the souring in the kettle. Just kegged up my first sour (a bit young at only 9 months, got to inpatient after I kicked my Brett beer). And want to always have one ready to go, so I gotta get one in the works!

What's nice about the kettle sour is you don't have to use "sour" equipment since the wort is boiled post souring. Also it only takes a couple days longer than a standard ale fermentation - its a 2 week beer and not a 9 month beer

Some info about how to do it here:
https://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/lactobacillus-starter-guide/

@brandon443 how did it turn out? I recently tried Destihls apricot sour and their sour stout. This was only the second time I've tried a sour beer and it changed my initial opinion about sours. I would love to know if you managed to get a homebrew clone close to the their sours as I thought the apricot was incredible and would love to make my own.

Back