Cider to Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
Hey All! So I have a pretty unique sour culture that has been gathered from various sources. I am currently using it in a sour cider. What would I need to do to switch it over to being used in beer again. Should i put it in a small starter just to get used to the complex sugars or can I just pour the fresh wort onto the cake and see what happens? Appreciate all of the help!

IMO it couldn't hurt to feed it some beerish wort first. OTOH, it might be interesting to see what it does with a full batch of beer wort first and see how that changes in subsequent batches. If it has been through a bunch of ciders (fructose, glucose, sucrose), I'd bet that the proportions of yeast/bugs might change somewhat after growing on different media. What's in your blend?

IMO it couldn't hurt to feed it some beerish wort first. OTOH, it might be interesting to see what it does with a full batch of beer wort first and see how that changes in subsequent batches. If it has been through a bunch of ciders (fructose, glucose, sucrose), I'd bet that the proportions of yeast/bugs might change somewhat after growing on different media. What's in your blend?
That’s not a bad idea. Maybe just put in a 1000ml of wort beforehand just to get it going.

I really like it, it started as the Bootleg Milk The Funk Megablend and then from there, it got a lot of various dregs. I’d say it’s probably 3/4 Jolly Pumpkin and 1/4 various breweries!

Back