Definitive Mead Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feinbera

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a well-regarded and reasonably up-to-date "mead bible"? Something along the lines of @OldSock's American Sour Beers for sours, or the ever-popular Palmer for clean beers?

A quick Amazon search reveals several potential candidates, a couple of which have even been released in the last few years, but it doesn't tell me which ones are crap.

Schramm's Compleat is still pretty relevant, but with the internet these says do you really need a 'mead bible'? For all I read before I started making mead, nothing beats getting your hands dirty and making a simple batch (honey, water & yeast) of your own...

Schramm's Compleat is still pretty relevant, but with the internet these says do you really need a 'mead bible'? For all I read before I started making mead, nothing beats getting your hands dirty and making a simple batch (honey, water & yeast) of your own...

I agree. Schramm's book is everything you need to know to make great mead. There's plenty of recipes to get started too. Not an exhaustive recipe list by any stretch, but there's plenty to use as a start point for your own recipes.

Like Alchemy said, nothing beats just making a few batches to find out what works for you.

I have Schramm's Compleat Meadmaker and think it's great. There isn't nearly as much technical data necessary for mead as for beer. With that book and the Internet I think you would be well stocked with knowledge.

Also check out the BCJP Mead resources. Tons of information on honey variants and what different ingredients can bring to mead.

The Complete Mead Maker is a good one especially on a beer brewers forum, lots of pictures and an easy to follow instructions. WVMJ

Back