Decoction Rookie. Will it ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoeHaarden

The best advice is unsolicited
Reaction score
So, I had this week off and my RIMS controller is getting some remodeling so I figured I would try my hand at doing decoction mashing on a Maibock. I was trying to stick with a Hochkurz Double decoction explained by braukaiser with the first step being an infusion, and the next two steps being decoctions. I haven't done an infusion mash without my RIMS controller in a few years, so maybe I was a little over confident to try to take this on.

Planned Decoction:
1. Protein rest: 133F (20min) – dough-in
2. Maltose rest: 145F (30min) – infusion
3. Dextrinization Rest: 158F (20min) – decoction
4. Mash out: 168F (15min) – decoction

Well, being the decoction rookie that I am, I made the mistake of not pulling enough mash for decoction and I wasn’t able to get my temps up to where I wanted. Lesson learned….

Actual Decoction:
1. Protein rest: 135F (20min) – dough-in
2. Maltose rest: 142F (30min) – infusion
3. Dextrinization: 152F (20min) – decoction
4. Mash-out (attempt #1): 160F (20min) – decoction

At this point, I figured it would be faster for me to just do another decoction than to heat my sparge water. So, I decocted again and it raised the temp to 165F. ARGH! I let it sit here while I heated my sparge water (~10min). Then I did a proper mash-out at 168F with an infusion. Let it sit for 15 mins, and then collected the wort as usual.

My question is do you think I will run into fermentability issues with these temps? I’m assuming it should be fine since the mash spent 70min+ within beta range, but I’m wondering how much gravity was contributed by the 40min+ at 160-165F. I was aiming for 1.070 and hit 1.076, I’m assuming this bump is due to the decoctions.

Dude, you'll be fine.
It may be a tiny bit more fermentable, but I doubt it will be much difference than you planned.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what effects prolonged time in the higher alpha range would cause. I guess I just wanted some reassurance before the long ride of lagering ahead for this brew...

Back