decoction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
going to try my first lager this weekend and figured that would be a good time to try a decoction mash. my question is you actually boil the mash correct? and if this is try how does it not pull out tannins

I love decoction mashes and spent a lot of the last year using them exclusively regardless of style.

Whenever I do a decoction mash, I always sit down and read Palmer's instructions in How to Brew. Maybe other people have better luck, but don't bother with the equations as they never work. There are a lot of factors in the equation that are difficult to measure while doing a decoction mash. What I find is that you need to include a lot more grain in your decoctions than you think.

After pulling a decoction (portion of the main mash), you hold it at a conversion temperature for 15-30 minutes and then boil it. The temperature of the boiling hot decoction being added to your mash should raise the main mash temperature to the next rest temperature.

From what I understand, boiling the grains in a decoction mash setting doesn't result in tannin extraction because of pH.

Yes - you actually boil it when you pull the decoction. Make sure you pull a thick decoction ( mostly grains - not just the "soup" ). You won't have to worry about tannins.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/decoction-mash-video-59872/

Read up on Kaiser's site. www.braukaiser.com He's got some videos linked that show you his steps as he goes through a decoction mash. If you take the time to read through his stuff, he gives all the theory & the science behind it. It's worthwhile, but if you're like me, it will take you reading through it a few times before it all starts to sink in & make sense.

Good luck with it.

alright just going to get my yeast now so i can make a big starter. i will be reading on decoction mashing for the next 2 days. and brew this beer on teh new year :)

i am titling my new years beers " New Year New Beer" the plan is to tackle a new brewing tech of style every first of teh year

my question is you actually boil the mash correct? and if this is try how does it not pull out tannins
Tannin extraction is more of a function of the pH than the temperature. You can get tannin extraction from overmilling your grain (the husks specifically) or from getting the grainbed too hot, but in order for either of those to cause it the pH has to get pretty high. When doing a decoction mash the pH is still low and doing a decoction will in itself lower the pH which should help with the sparge. This will help keep it from getting too tannic but decocting will extract some tannins none the less, which is good and bad.
Michael Ferguson said:
Note that tannin extraction has been listed as a pro and a con. The good news is that some of it is complex and drops in the decoction in that as the tannins have been largely extracted in the decoction one need not be so careful about sparge temperature and pH. The bad news is that tannins have been released and long lagering is usually required for them to drop out.

thanks guy's now i just gotta pick a decoction schedule

12.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 84.2 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
1.50 oz liberty [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1 Pkgs WL533

Back