Dealing with a stuck fermentation. What's next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggles

Reaction score
Oh brew wizards, I have a problem.
I have brewed a Belgian Saison using the Wyeast 3724 on July 21st (which is notoriously sticky), and my gravity stuck at 1.025. I know what I did wrong, and what I have attempted, but I don't know what to do next. OG was 1.055
I put the brew in my workshop which gets really hot in the day, which would hopefully help with the ester profile of the beer (it likes it warm), but unfortunately, at night, it cools off, so I think that the temp variation confused the yeast, and the fermentation stuck.

I moved it to a stable area that was about 22C, and stirred it up (carefully to not oxygenate it): result was no change.

Next I pitched a champagne yeast, and that did nothing.

Next, I put it in water with a heater that brought it up to 35C, that was good for a couple of points.

Finally, I added in a 1L mix of 1.040 dextrose, and that started things up and dropped the gravity to about 1.019, where it's stuck.

I don't want to bottle, because it will bomb, but I also don't want to throw this batch out. I'm thinking about racking it to a new fermenter and re-pitching some 1056 or something with high flocculation and attenuation to clean it up.

Any ideas?

What was the recipe? Was it all grain or extract? It sounds like it was mashed too hot and is done. With all you did and the gravity is still barely moving than it will not ferment any more. That means you will not have any bottle bombs for sure.

If it is truly done and it tastes ok, you could brew another and try blending them so it's not a total waste

I assume you are using a correction formula for your refractometer FG reading? If not, your hydro reading will open your eyes.

That is most likely the problem. Take a reading with a hydrometer. I am willing to bet it will be much lower.

Yep, that was it, 1.0005. Thanks guys, I now have a much better understanding of the refractometer, and how it works.
I love making beer, every batch I learn something new to use on the next one, the only thing that makes me sad is that my gear is all tied up, so I missed the wet hop order deadline for the year :p

Back