Dead Yeast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac21

Reaction score
I was making a yeast starter today...wasn't paying attention and I poured half my vial of white labs into the steaming hot wort. I'm not brewing till thurs so I have time. I was wondering if I could add what's left of the WL to the current starter (the one with the already dead half vial in it) or do I need to start a new one. Followup question: Is the remaining half vial enough viable yeast for the starter if I'm not brewing till wed? Thanks!

Yes and yes. I actually used boiled baker's yeast in my early brews as yeast nutrient. Little cannibals they are. If you give it enough time you'll grow a nice healthy culture from the billions of cells left in your vial. Just make sure the wort's cool this time ;)

Thanks so much! I was worried about it producing off flavors. Pitched the rest of it last night and when I got up this am it was bubblin' away. Thanks!

Back