Dead Guy Sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Ok, after I lost my job last month, I celebrated my new found unemployment by drinking the bottle of Rogue Imperial IPA that I had planned on trying to cultivate pacman from......

So, anyway, at this present time I'm still unemployed, but will chances look pretty good that I will land a job I've been pursuing for the past few weeks. I celebrated my "not quite but pretty sure I've got another job" by purchasing a sixer of Dead Guy.

I'm planning on trying to cultivate pacman from this sixer, but for the life of me, I don't see any sediment on the bottom of the bottles. Is Dead Guy filtered and (gasp!) pasturized? Or is the sediment so small that I'm not seeing it? I live in Florida, and we don't get a whole hell of a lot of bottle conditioned beer here, I can only judge the amount of sediment based on what used to be in my bottles of homebrew back when I used to bottle, and there ain't near as much in the Dead Guy as that.

Was Dead Guy bottle conditioned and now not? Or do they filter and pasturize for different regions?? Oregon to Florida is a long haul, maybe they filter and pasturize the beer that is shipped far, and not the beer for more local regions?

We just started getting Rogue here in Port Saint Lucie.... the previously mentioned Imp IPA was purchased in Jupiter, Florida....

Any advice?

Allan

RangerG said:
I'm a noobie and am wondering what the allure of pacman yeast is; flavor?

My allure is mostly that I just want to see if I can do it. I've read of others on the forum here doing it, and I want to see if I can.

The Imperial IPA I had came in a ceramic bottle, so I couldn't see if it had sediment or not. I didn't pay attention when I poured the last glass, so I'm not sure if it had it or not. I had heard that Rogue doesn't filter their beers and they were bottle conditioned, so I assumed that it had it. Dead Guy is in brown bottles, so I can take a look-see. Maybe some of Rogues offerings are filtered and I heard wrong? I was hoping to hear from someone who had propagated it. Maybe there is a very fine sediment that I'm just not seeing?

Allan

niquejim said:
Try finding Brutal Bitter which I found In Ft. Myers and it had a nice layer of sediment.

No Brutal Bitter here yet. Only seen Dead Guy and Mocha Porter so far.... the shop in Jupiter may have more, but I don't get down that way very often. I may have to make a special trip.

Thanks,

Allan

It is possible that they remove all the yeast (in cold storage, doubt they filter) and then add back a very small dosed amount. This is how Sierra Nevada does it. In that case if the bottles had been knocked over or you poured slightly too hard you could loose it all. Might have better luck getting some from a big bottle.

I just had a bottle of Dead Guy tonight, there was a definite layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. If I hold it up to the light, I can see it in all of the bottles I have.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've just checked the bottles again. There is definatly a very fine layer on the bottom now. It's not as much as when I bottle my beer at home, but it's there. I was expecting a bit more, like with my beer. Also, the sixer I purchased wasn't refrigerated, and I checked them as soon as I got home, so maybe it got disturbed during the car trip and it settled out once I got them home and cold.

Again, thanks,

Allan

I've been following the threads about harvesting yeast with interest. Rogue Dead Guy (and most of the rogue catalogue) is brewed just an afternoon drive from my home. I've been thinking of driving over there and asking if I can have a yeast sample. I think I'll save 75 bucks in gas and grow my own. Its been fun reading bout this.

I just gotta make a stirplate

Some breweries will remove much of their fermenting yeasties and add a second strain for bottle-conditioning to foil folks like ourselves. I'd be shocked if Rogue did such a thing, though. It's likely that the yeast is there, but that they do a better job of clearing their beer before bottling than most of us.

I was always under the impression that Dead Guy was filtered. I've head that the Mocha Porter, Brutal Bitter and a couple others are good for Pacman culturing though...

I tried culturing from a Dead Guy 6er and didn't pull it off. I think there are better varieties for culturing out there. The Dead Guy Ale didn't seem to have much yeast. A local liquor store near me sells Dead Guy Growlers though...I may have to try one of them.

fretman124 said:
I've been following the threads about harvesting yeast with interest. Rogue Dead Guy (and most of the rogue catalogue) is brewed just an afternoon drive from my home. I've been thinking of driving over there and asking if I can have a yeast sample. I think I'll save 75 bucks in gas and grow my own. Its been fun reading bout this.

I just gotta make a stirplate

Although I've never done it, I hear that most breweries and brewpubs will give you as much yeast as you want on racking day. Bring your quart mason jars! :p Think of it this way, if you go see the brewery, you can take a tour! Make a day of it, or something.

Back