Review of Safale K-97 German Ale -- Great for Open Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skortjorkson

I Eat Magic Plants
Reaction score
Hello!

To begin with, I would like to mention the package and marketing. I originally purchased K-97 online without being able to read the package, and it was being marketed as 'German Ale'-- you can imagine my surprise when it came and the text read "German ale yeast selected for fine Belgian wheat beers characterized by a good length on the palate." What the heck? Is it German, or Belgian, or...? "Length on the palate"? What's going on here? Well, never fear, intrepid reader, I am here, with the help of experience, to unravel this mystery for you.

This yeast has some unique traits, but given the description I can understand why it may be often overlooked. It's a fairly neutral, top-fermenting, cold-adapted strain. Attenuation is fairly low, and alcohol tolerance also seems low. At first taste it seems like a troublesome alternative to US-05 or Nottingham Ale, and I wouldn't choose it for an altbier or any yeast-driven Belgian recipe. So what good is this strain, which has captured my heart? The secret lies in its other fermentation characteristics.

Firstly, this yeast is PERFECT for an open fermentor. It produces a more resilient krauesen than any other strain I have worked with to date. I have been strictly using an open fermentor for some time, and often my fear of oxygen or contamination leads me to rack a beer to secondary as soon as the bared surface of the beer shows through, even though it's early. K-97, on the other hand, keeps a protective skin of yeast on the surface even while the beer underneath has finished fermenting and mostly clarified. This also allows the brewer to EASILY top-harvest yeast for the next batch without worrying about trub or dead yeast-- it's all at the bottom-- and due to the krauesen's longevity one can take one's time in doing so. I understand how a resilient krauesen is a tiny nightmare for anyone working with an enclosed fermentor, but this yeast was bred for and excels in the open. My culture is currently on its 8th generation and I have yet to encounter any kind of mutation or contamination.

Second: “length on the palate”. Everyone familiar with so-called “brown yeast”? This is the collection of hop oxides which typically ferment out in the form of a brown, bitter resin which floats to the top of the krauesen, sticks to the sides of your fermentor and is hard to clean. The process of these hop compounds fermenting out is one element of what's responsible for the difference in harsh bitterness between wort and finished beer, with most yeasts. K-97, however, as far as I can tell, does not ferment out the “brown yeast”, instead leaving these hop compounds in the beer. Ale made with K-97 has a really bracing bitterness which could be interpreted as 'unrefined hop flavor', but I consider to be greater hop utilization. One must use a gentle hand when adding bittering hops to a K-97 brew; it's easy to make something unpalatably bitter when experimenting with early-boil hop additions. However, I find it a greater advantage in making hoppy beers than a disadvantage, as K-97 modifies (or moderates) the hop character less than other yeasts. It also makes the fermentor easier to clean!

Temperature and fermentation schedule: I found this yeast to perform well in a wide temperature range from around 45-65F. At the lower end of the spectrum, 45-50F or below, it slows down and attentuation suffers. One batch I had froze partially and the yeast was still visibly active, though, so it is quite resilient. At the higher end, 65F, fermention produced a strong banana aroma, and the finished beer had a strong but delicate pear aroma (no banana aroma or flavor though!). My typical fermentation schedule has been to pitch the yeast at around 65F and ferment for 10 days at 55F. Higher temps it took less time, lower temps more. I have then been harvesting all of the yeast from the top and racking to secondary, then aging for 2 weeks at 40F before kegging.

NOTE: The yeast itself smells like sourdough, especially at the end of fermentation. It may put off a funky smell towards the end, but this is not necessarily indicative of an infection!

Clarity and sedimentation: Once fermention is complete, this yeast settles fairly quickly compared to other low-flocculating German and Belgian yeasts I have used. The resulting sediment is not very compact, but it also doesn't stay in suspension long if roused.

That being said, K-97 produces a VERY clear beer if provided with a well-mashed and well-lautered wort! Absolutely crystal clear if treated properly.

Suggested uses: K-97 is perfect for producing beer in the European sense of the word-- biere, as opposed to ale. The ideal recipe for K-97 is something light-bodied, light-colored, and brilliant with a refreshing bitterness. Session IPAs, blondes, wheats, or Grätzers are my best suggestions. Potentially suitable for Kölsch, although I suspect the attenuation is too low for a pseudo-Pils.

It makes a decent West Coast IPA, and passable darker ales (reds, browns, etc), but not spectacular; I would recommend WLP1007 instead for an actual altbier, or any malt-driven ale. I did try making a stronger black beer with K-97 which has been aging for 2 months already and is struggling to come together. This yeast's strong suit is delicacy!

Hence, perhaps, the difficulty of putting it into a traditional homebrew yeast family. K-97, I would argue, is an overlooked relic of the hoppenbier tradition that so upset English sensibilities in the 16th and 17th centuries. This is for lowland Continental ale, the once-everyday drink of the area sandwiched between the spicy yeasts of French-speaking Belgium and the better-defined North German brewing tradition: known as Lower Lorraine, Brabant, the lower Rhineland, depending on who you ask. I would suspect its ancestors once filled a role in the larger region which lager now occupies.

Regardless, I highly recommend giving it a try, as in the right brewing conditions K-97 can really shine.

Cheers!

This sounds very much like Wyeast 3333. I'm brewing with it for the first time and the beer is about ready to bottle; I haven't tasted it yet. Ridiculous fluffy krausen that stayed around for a long time. I didn't see much brown scum on it either, but this is a lightly-hopped beer so maybe that's why.

So you primary in a bucket for a week or so, top-harvest the yeast, and rack to a carboy or something for secondary? I may try that when I repitch the 3333 (I used a carboy for the primary and am planning to harvest the trub when I bottle this weekend)

Thanks for the report. :)

I bought a couple of packets of K-97 today. I want to try open fermentation and top cropping. You think maybe a pale ale made with pilsner malt (I have 40 lbs of it) and a little munich, and noble hops but not too bitter?

My Wy-3333 beer was still cloudy when I bottled it, and dropped crystal clear in the bottles in about a week with a lot of sediment. It has quite a bit of banana character; I'm hoping that fades with age but doesn't go away completely. (I've only drunk one, less than a week after bottling.) I saved all the sediment from the fermentor and will pitch it again in a wheat beer when the weather warms up, and top-crop it next time.

Yeah, man! I reckon the beer you speak of would be rockin' with some K-97. It's very much the type of beer I enjoy making and drinking.

Give it a go and report back! The body of anecdotes about this yeast (and, I would argue, this type of yeast generally) is too small, every experience with it helps the next person!

I just drank one of my beers with Wy-3333 and the banana is much less than it was a week ago. I think I like that yeast. (not so sure about the beer, it's a very lightly-hopped style called dampfbier, and it's probably true to style but it tastes like it needs more hops)

If K-97 behaves the same way but is more neutral in character, I think I'll really like it.

I've read some comments that K-97 is similar to US-05 but more work. I'm okay with that; maybe it just needs a different technique. I have only used US-05 once, and the taste was fine but I didn't like the huge fluffy trub I got with it. But that might not have been the yeast's fault.

I finally got a chance to brew my K-97 beer. Brewed Saturday afternoon, and pitched Sunday morning in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket. (I've never fermented beer in anything but carboys) Eight hours later there was a little trace of suds on top, and this morning there was maybe a half inch of Krausen. Hopefully it doesn't explode while I'm at work today :D The bucket has a tight fitting lid just sitting on top but not snapped down. No air lock or blowoff tube.

When do I skim the dark scum off the top of the Krausen layer? There's not much.

Recipe (4 gallons):

6.5 lbs Belgian pilsner malt
1 lb Munich, 10°L (American or Canadian, don't remember which)
4 oz Sauermalz
1 oz Mt Hood @ 30 minutes
.5 oz Mt Hood @ 5 minutes

I harvested the yeast this morning. It was so easy! I filled a 24 oz canning jar with thick Krausen, put it in the fridge for a little while for it to settle, and added some water to help knock down the foam. I will add more cold water when I get home from work.

Should this be enough yeast for just one batch of beer, or several batches? (without making starters) I should attach a picture when it's all settled-out.

I reckon your 24oz of yeast should be enough for two 5-gallon batches of moderate-OG ale, there, z-bob! I've not had problems with under-pitching with this strain at that ratio of krausen to wort.

And welcome to the top-cropping party!

I've used this yeast a few times now, and I'm not sure I like it. First time was in an American Porter on the browner side, and it had some nice bready malt and roast qualities, but was tarnished with an astringent quality. I figured it was due to overuse of brown malt, but it seemed more like yeast bite. The second was a successful Coffee Stout, with an even heavier hand on the roasted malts, that finished at 1.018. It was creamy, smelled and tasted great, and any astringency was to style anyway. The third was a rice ale, with about 25 percent rice, 70 percent pils and 5 percent Melanoidin. I haven't tasted the finished product, and I will give it plenty of time bottle conditioning both warm and cold, but it reminded me quite a bit of the porter. Problem is, this one doesn't have any roast and the more delicate grainy flavor I wanted hasn't come through, at least not yet. Kind of tastes like nothing, with some yeast bite so far.

I should also point out that the flavor isn't fusel-y and there's no fruity esters that I can detect. It's clean but astringent.

I reckon your 24oz of yeast should be enough for two 5-gallon batches of moderate-OG ale, there, z-bob! I've not had problems with under-pitching with this strain at that ratio of krausen to wort.

And welcome to the top-cropping party!

It looks like I could harvest another pint from it.

Saturday I might move the beer to a carboy to finish (I want to fine it with some gelatin), and collect any Krausen that hasn't fallen yet.

Next brew will be a pilsner/rice cream ale, using all Sorachi Ace hops. Mid-20's IBU. I'm going to repitch the K-97 for it. So I'm curious to hear how filthyastronaut 's rice ale turns out.

I made a kolsch style with this yeast and it is fantastic. Great pilsner flavor and some slight ester. Mostly German pilsner malt with some Vienna I believe. German hops. Didn't plug recipe into beer smith as my computer was broken [emoji57]. Figures.

Happy to report that the Rice Ale is great after just 2 weeks. Quaffable, tasty grainy flavor, and even a hint of the toasted rice. I had another packet in my fridge I thought I wouldn't use . . . Now I will. It was murky when I tasted it, that was probably the problem.

The beer that I brewed 2 weeks ago is still in the bucket. It's probably ready to bottle; I may do that tomorrow. There's a 3/4 inch or so layer of very thick Krausen on top that won't fall. (this is after I harvested it once) OTOH, it is sealing the top and keeping oxygen out.

Not real sure how to get it out of the bucket for bottling w/o stirring up all the stuff at the bottom -- which I can't see but I know it's there. I'm thinking about adding gelatin at bottling time and not worrying about it. Some of the bottles will have a lot of sediment, but it should stick to the bottom of the bottle.

I bottled the beer last night, the last of the Krausen had fallen. (my 4 month old pup "helped", she lapped up any beer that I spilled, and jumped on me and tried to knock the bottles over to spill more for her)

Anyway, it was still very cloudy so I added gelatin to the bottling bucket. The bottles have a lot of sediment already this morning. Hopefully it packs down and the gelatin glues it to the bottoms of the bottles. The sample that I tasted was okay in spite of all the suspended yeast -- it just tasted like flat beer. No hop character, but that may come later.

I think with my next batch I'm going to rack to a carboy as soon as I harvest the yeast, so I can leave it longer to clear. I plan to brew this weekend, depending on the weather.

I'm curious about your troubles getting the beer to clarify, it seems to be the main problem people have with this yeast, but it didn't happen to me at any point over many batches. I always thought it was just because I was harvesting the krausen instead of trying to wait for it to sink, but you said you harvested and are still having issues with clarity!

Yeah, harvesting then racking to carboy may be part of the necessary method-- I always did both on the same day. The only other thing that comes to mind immediately is that the calcium content of my water is very high (300ppm) and I balance the pH of my mash using an acid addition rather than filtering out the Ca. Maybe this yeast just needs insane amounts of calcium to clarify?

The beer is already clearing in the bottles. I don't think it's really a problem. I asked several people who ferment in buckets and they said not to rack it until I was ready to bottle. I will rack the next batch to a carboy.

I just cracked a bottle, knowing I was really rushing it.

It was nice and clear, and the excessive sediment stayed put in the bottle pretty well. The taste wasn't bad, but it needs another week or two of bottle conditioning to clean up (still tasted a bit yeasty even tho' it was clear, and that kind of hid the hops) and the carbonation level isn't quite there yet.

This could be my "house yeast" when I figure out how to use it. I pitched half the harvested yeast this morning in the pilsner/rice beer I brewed last night.

Has anybody experienced a subtle sulfur note with this yeast? I brewed a kolsch and pitched in the high 50s and fermented at 60f with a ramp up to 64f for a total of three weeks.

I kegged the beer and it has been lagering in the kegerator at 39f for two weeks so far. I plan to lager for at least another two weeks but the sample I tried last weekend was pretty cloudy and had a slight sulfur aroma. I also tasted a subtle pear aroma and it had a white wine like character. The beer has promise for being a solid kolsch but I'm concerned this sulfur may not diminish.

Anything I can do to reduce it if need be? I've heard of hooking the gas disconnect onto the liquid post but I'm not exactly sure what that process entails or if I should wait

Sorry to drag up a dead post but doing a SMASH German Ale with K-97 , Vienna Malts with Hallertau Mittelfruh hops , any thoughts on this ?

I really like the yeast, but I'm going to throw out all my jars of it and start with a fresh packet next time I use it. My last beer using recycled K-97 is severely over-carbonated. Every bottle is a gusher and pours nothing but foam, and some of the bottles have little floaty bits (technical term) in then before I open them. They still taste just fine, but I assume they have an infection, maybe S diastaticus. Or maybe I just added too much sugar or bottled too soon, but I doubt it.

I've used K-97 for an IPA with Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook and Mosaic and came out very good. Good attenuation, but poor flocculation. It was a tad hazy, but that never bothered me. The final product was delicious. I have however detected a slight grainy flavour* ( not sure if grainy is the right word ), but never detracted from the beer.

It attenuates well and does make good beer, so I think I will be using it again.

I've read that K-97 is the same strain as WLP1007. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't think anybody knows with 100% certainty, and I am NOT aware of any genomic testing of K-97. But most people seem to think the two are almost identical, and anyone interested is certainly invited to run a side by side comparison experiment of their own to find out how close they really are.

What is up with the product description of this yeast? On web sites it is described as "Its lower attenuation profile makes for beers with a good mouthfeel", yet on the ACTUAL PACKET it says "Attenuation: High". Seems contradictory. So which is it, high or low?

upload_2020-1-28_15-10-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-28_15-9-58.png
    upload_2020-1-28_15-9-58.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 24
What is up with the product description of this yeast? On web sites it is described as "Its lower attenuation profile makes for beers with a good mouthfeel", yet on the ACTUAL PACKET it says "Attenuation: High". Seems contradictory. So which is it, high or low?

My current batch is at about 78% attenuation. I would personally consider that "kind of high".

And while I haven't done a side by side experiment vs. Wyeast 1007, I can tell you, it acts and tastes very very similar.

View attachment 664053

I don't know exactly where you found that piece of information, but the official website found here: https://fermentis.com/en/fermentation-solutions/you-create-beer/safale-k-97/ does not mention good mouthfeel, but it does mention high attenuation, which is set between 80 and 84% by Fermentis. But yes, 80% AA is rather the norm with this yeast, especially when mashing low and using mainly base malts.

Latest posts

Back